• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
That's absurd! No doubt the guy should quickly be relived of his job as he clearly isn't cut out for it, but to railroad him and slap him with every damn charge possible & a 96 year sentence is ludicrous! How many cops have abused their power raping, murdering, and exploiting civilians that never saw the inside of a cell, where this guys flight response just overpowered his fight? Cruz is responsible for those deaths! That man needs to Rot!

The parents frothing at the mouth claiming justice?!?! Seriously, here some bitch rattle on about her 17 yr old daughters life as if it was guaranteed had he entered the building her life would have been saved? I'm sorry but there is no guarantees, had he entered the building, and engaged the shooter (Assuming he isn't shot) I believe there would have been a good probability some lives would have been spared, but all bets are off and everything is an uncertainty when the shooter has head start to begin throwing out lead unrivaled.

One of the officers who was fired over his handling of the 2018 Parkland, Florida, high school shooting will get his badge back.

Sgt. Brian Miller will receive full back pay and seniority when he returns to his duties at the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association Union said Wednesday.

Miller was one of four officers who were fired last year after an investigation deemed they had "neglected their duties" when they responded to the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 dead and 17 injured.

An internal investigation found that Miller, who was the first supervising officer who responded to the scene, hid behind his car while shots rang out inside the high school. The union said an arbitration ruled the "BSO violated Sgt. Brian Miller’s Constitutional due process rights and improperly terminated him."

The general counsel for the sheriff's office told ABC News it is "exploring all legal options to address this erroneous decision."

"The arbitrator ruled on the case without conducting any evidentiary hearing whatsoever and without taking the testimony of a single witness," the general counsel said in a statement. "The decision was based upon a technicality that we believe was wrongly decided."

Sheriff Gregory Tony, who recently received a vote of no confidence from the union over an issue for personal protective equipment, told a reporter for ABC affiliate WPLG that the arbitration ruling wouldn't affect his decision-making.

"I stood by the termination then and I stand by it now," he said.

The Florida Sun-Sentinel first reported Miller's reinstatement Wednesday. The paper said the officer made $137,000 in 2018.
[....]
Broward County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Scot Peterson, who was assigned to the school, also lost his job last year and was charged with child neglect charges after an internal investigation found he retreated and took cover when the shots rang out.

Two other deputies who responded to the scene, Edward Eason and Josh Stambaugh, were also fired.

A Florida judge ruled a local school district had no responsibility to warn students and faculty at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School of the danger posed by a former student who would later be accused of a mass shooting that killed 17 people.

Broward Circuit Judge Patti Englander Henning said Monday that the Broward County school district can’t be held liable for failing to predict actions that were beyond its control.

Nikolas Cruz faces the death penalty if convicted of multiple murder charges.

I think it was the victims' families suit. The judge said the school was not liable because they couldn't predict what this asshole might do. He was already banned when he graduated from being on the property. the school officials couldn't predict the future and know that he was going to do what he did.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Accused Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz rushed at a jail guard and was briefly able to wrestle him to the ground during a 2018 altercation before he was subdued, according to a video shown in court.
[....]
The Nov. 13, 2018, jail altercation is being tried separately from the first-degree murder case, and Wednesday's hearing was to determine whether prosecutors should have access to Cruz's medical records. Prosecutors say they need to review the records as Cruz's attorneys have indicated their defense will be that Sgt. Raymond Beltran mistreated Cruz previously and provoked the attack.

In the video shown in court Wednesday, which doesn't have sound, Cruz is seen walking alone in circles with his head down around some benches in a small indoor recreation area at the jail. He is dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit, a white long-sleeve undershirt and sandals. Beltran is sitting at a table in the corner.

After several minutes, Cruz stops about 10 feet (3 meters) from Beltran and the two appear to exchange words — Beltran told investigators he asked Cruz not to drag his feet and damage his sandals. Cruz flips both middle fingers at Beltran and then charges the guard, who stands up to defend himself. Cruz, who weighs about 130 pounds (60 kilograms), is able to throw the larger Beltran to the ground briefly, before the guard is able to flip him over and briefly pin him.

Cruz escapes Beltran's grasp and the two get into boxing stances. Cruz hit Beltran in the shoulder before the guard hits Cruz in the face, staggering him.

Beltran then arms his stun gun and points it at Cruz, who gets on the ground and is handcuffed. The fight lasted almost exactly a minute.

Prosecutor Maria Schneider told Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer that her team needs Cruz's complete medical records from the time he arrived at the jail shortly after the shooting because if Beltran previously mistreated him, any injuries might have been documented.

David Wheeler, Cruz's attorney, argued that Cruz's medical records are private under state and federal law and at most prosecutors should only be allowed to see records of any examinations that happened within a day of the fight. Neither Cruz nor Beltran appeared to suffer any serious injuries.

Scherer said she would rule on the prosecution's request by Friday.

No trial date has been set for either the assault or murder cases. Cruz, 22, faces a possible death sentence if convicted on the murder charges. His attorneys have said he would plead guilty to the murder charges in exchange for a life sentence, but prosecutors have refused.

A Florida judge on Wednesday scolded defense attorneys for allowing accused Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz to use colored pencils during jury selection in a trial related to a separate jail brawl. Cruz is accused of attacking a guard while he was behind bars in November 2018. That case is proceeding apart from a prosecution involving the murders of seventeen others at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine’s Day 2018.

A prosecutor told Judge Elizabeth Scherer that she “just observed that coloring pencils and a page from what appears to be a coloring book” at the defense table. The prosecutor alleged that the material “was just brought in for the defendant.”

“We’re objecting to that, your honor,” the prosecutor continued. “We believe that that is something they are doing so the jury perceives that, you know, he’s a child and he has a, you know, some kind of — um — his mentality is some kind of challenged. We think that’s inappropriate, and we object to a coloring book page and coloring pencils being given — just provided to the defendant for him to use.”

Prosecutors said Cruz was writing down the names of jurors and was “very oriented” to the proceedings Tuesday — but that allegedly changed Wednesday.

The judge asked one of Cruz’s defense attorneys if he brought the materials into the courtroom. He answered that he had not.

“Somebody did that?” the judge asked.

“There are colored pencils,” the defense attorney said in one of several attempts to clarify the nature and the extent of the materials about which prosecutors complained. “There is no coloring book. There are colored pencils here.”

Someone off camera — presumably a prosecutor — appeared to say that Cruz had been provided with a “page” from a coloring book.

“He’s not using it; it’s just sitting there right now,” the defense attorney added.

“What is the purpose of it?” the judge asked. “Why does he need the book and crayons?”

Herman asked for a “brief moment to confer” with his co-counsel about the purpose of what the judge erroneously called the “crayons” and the “book.”

“Why does he need colored pencils and a drawing paper?” the judge asked after the attorneys conferred.

“Judge, he’s clearly upset,” the defense attorney said. “He’s visibly upset right now. I’m trying to keep him calm during this trial, and the defense team is not doing this for any nefarious reasons. Trying to keep my client calm. He just asked for two minutes to himself. I will address that with the court in a moment . . . there’s nothing that he’s doing. His hands are crossed. He’s not drawing. He’s not writing.”

That comment led to a prolonged, stunned look from the judge.

“Okay, so — as long as he’s not coloring with crayons as if he’s a child, that’s fine,” the judge said. “But that’s not appropriate,” she said while tacitly suggesting something else might have been occurring.

“If he wants to make notes, that’s fine,” the judge expounded. “If he wants to sit there, that’s fine. If he wants to participate, that’s fine. If he wants to be quiet, that’s fine. But, as far as coloring pictures on a picture book, that does not assist him or you in — in, um — selecting a fair and impartial juror — jury. It gives an impression that he’s a child.”

The judge continued to refer to a “picture book” even after the defense said there was “no coloring book” involved.

Another defense attorney tried to jump in at this point. The judge shot her down.

“You haven’t answered my question,” the judge said while asking a question the attorney already, indeed, had answered. “Are there — are there crayons or a coloring?”

One of the defense attorneys picked up a bundle of colored pencils and handed it to another attorney. The pointed instruments were secured with what appeared to be a rubber band.

“Okay, the jail’s telling me for security he needs to use the pen that’s issued by the jail,” the judge said.

“There’s no Crayola box here,” the defense quipped back after the judge’s multiple references to crayons. Rather, the defense said there were, indeed, colored pencils on the table.

The judge said it was okay for the defense to use colored pencils to make elaborate notes regarding the various jurors but that Cruz needed to use whatever pen was provided to him.

Or, rather, would be provided to him.

“We will be issuing him a pen,” a jail representative said.

Cruz is charged in the instant case with attempted battery on a law enforcement officer (a second-degree felony), battery on a law enforcement officer (a third-degree felony), depriving a law enforcement officer of protective or communications devices (another third-degree felony), and criminal attempt (a misdemeanor). He faces separate charges in connection with the actual Parkland school shooting.
https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials...his-nerves-by-using-colored-pencils-in-court/
1633549935459.png

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The gunman who killed 14 students and three staff members at a Parkland, Florida, high school will plead guilty to their murders, his attorneys said Friday, bringing some closure to a South Florida community more than three years after an attack that sparked a nationwide movement for gun control.

The guilty plea would set up a penalty phase where Nikolas Cruz, 23, would be fighting against the death penalty and hoping for life without parole.

Attorneys for Cruz told Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer that he will plead guilty Wednesday to 17 counts of first-degree murder in the February 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The pleas will come with no conditions and prosecutors still plan to seek the death penalty. That will be decided by a jury, but that trial has not been scheduled.

Cruz will also plead guilty to 17 counts of attempted first-degree murder and to attacking a jail guard nine months after the shooting. He was not present during the hearing.

The trial has been delayed by the pandemic and arguments between the prosecution and defense over what evidence and testimony could be presented to the jury. Some victims’ families had expressed frustration over the delays, but the president of the group they formed expressed relief that the case now seems closer to resolution.
[....]
The decision by Cruz and his attorneys to plead guilty came unexpectedly. Preparations were being made to begin jury selection within the next few months. He had been set to go on trial next week for the attack on the Broward County jail guard.

Cruz and his lawyers had long offered to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence, but prosecutors had repeatedly rejected that deal, saying the case deserved a death sentence.
[....]

They'll plead everything else from drugs - child abuse - murder .. he's pleading guilty 35 counts and accepts LWOP and to show your big bad billy ass let's backlog the courts more and spend spend spend resources we don't have .. because why not .. we have murders etc to catch and release and plea to misdemeanors w/probation and time served .. :bored:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to murder on Wednesday in the 2018 high school massacre in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 dead.

Cruz, 23, entered his pleas in a courtroom hearing attended by a dozen relatives of victims after answering a long list of questions from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer aimed at confirming his mental competency. He was charged with 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted first-degree murder for those wounded in the Feb. 14, 2018, attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, located just outside Fort Lauderdale.

A penalty trial will determine if Cruz will receive a sentence of death or life in prison without parole. Scherer plans to begin screening jurors next month in hopes testimony can begin in January.

As several parents shook their heads, Cruz apologized, saying, “I’m very sorry for what I did. ... I can’t live with myself sometimes.” He also added that he wished it was up to the survivors to determine whether he lived or died.
[....]
The guilty pleas will set the stage for a penalty trial in which 12 jurors will determine whether Cruz should be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole. Given the case’s notoriety, Scherer plans to screen thousands of prospective jurors. Hearings are scheduled throughout November and December, with a goal to start testimony in January.
[....]
By having Cruz plead guilty, his attorneys will be able to argue during the penalty hearing that he took responsibility for his actions.

Jesus what a fucking waste of resources .. he plead to all charges .. accepted responsibility .. agreed to LWOP .. but we wasted so much time and money to prove a point ..
Since 1976, the state has executed 99 convicted murderers, all at Florida State Prison. As of July 8, 2021, 327 offenders are awaiting execution.
That's not even one a year .. so in essence it's truly LWOP .. but instead we wasted limited resources so we could .. who the fuck knows at this point ..

Hat tip @Sugar Cookie

A prospective juror for the sentencing of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz told the judge she wouldn’t have time for the civic duty — because she’s both married and has a “sugar daddy.”
[....]
But the death-penalty trial was delayed after prosecutors said they needed more time to interview the mental health experts who are expected to testify on behalf of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School killer.

The three-step jury selection process, which began Monday, is expected to last two months, followed by a four-month trial to determine if Cruz receives the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole.

During the proceeding, Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer asked whether she had missed anyone with concerns or questions, courtroom video shows.

“Did you have a question?” she asks one of the prospective jurors, whom she identified as “Miss Bristol.”

“This is a whole entire month,” the woman replies. “First of all let me clarify myself, July 2nd is my birthday, July 4th is my son, and the 18th is my other son.”

Scherer tells her to slow down.

“Don’t talk too fast, we have to be able to understand … so you said that the July, there’s dates in July that you’re not available? What are those dates?” the judge asks.

“July 7th, July 4th, and July 18th … And again, I need to figure out something. I have my sugar daddy that I see every day,” Bristol answers.

“I’m sorry?” Scherer asks in a deadpan manner as she cocks her head.

“My sugar daddy,” Bristol repeats.

“OK, I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about but we’ll …,” the judge interjects.

“I’m married, and I have my sugar daddy. I see him every day,” Bristol says.

“OK. All right. Ma’am, we’ll come back to you, OK? Thank you,” Scherer responds.

More than 120 of the first 160 prospective jurors were dismissed — including Bristol, Fox News reported.

Meanwhile, the judge has ruled that the jury will tour the bloodstained, bullet-pocked building where Cruz murdered 17 people on Valentine’s Day in 2018.

Scherer rejected a defense argument that a jury tour of the three-story building is not necessary because there are videos and photos of the crime scene and would only serve to inflame the jurors’ passions.

“The Court finds that a jury view of the crime scene remains useful and proper, even in light of the current posture of the case,” Scherer wrote in a ruling posted Monday.
[....]

A jury delivered a sentence of life in prison for Parkland school killer Nikolas Cruz Thursday, after he murdered 14 students and 3 teachers in one of the deadliest and most merciless mass slaughters in the nation’s history.

Emotions rode high in the courtroom, with the bereaved parents of many children killed by Cruz crying and holding their heads in their hands as the verdicts were read out by Judge Elizabeth Scherer.

Cruz pleaded guilty to the killings in 2021, the jury were tasked with deciding if he would get the death penalty.

Their verdict ruled that while the state had proved Cruz’ actions were enough to warrant the death penalty, “mitigating circumstances” presented at trial led them to opt for life in prison.

Cruz will be officially sentenced by judge Scherer on Nov. 1.

Immediately following the verdict, Dr. Ilan Alhadeff — who’s daughter Alyssa was killed in the school shooting — blasted the decision.

He said at a press conference: “I’m disgusted with those jurors. That you can have 17 [murdered] and not give the death penalty.

“You set a precedent today, that you can do a mass shooting and get life in prison.

“I pray that animal [Cruz] suffers every day of his life in jail, and that he should have a short life.”

Why have mercy on him when he certainly didn't feel any mercy when he was shooting people? There can be no mitigating circumstances when he did not feel anything when he shot 17 people dead. He understands what he did and enjoyed it.

@cubby

If they executed him it would send out the message that other teens who committed crimes that shock the conscious could be held accountable for their crimes with life sentences or even the death penalty.

Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz sentenced to life in prison for 2018 high school massacre​

Parkland killer Nikolas Cruz was given 17 life sentences, one for each of his victims, for committing one of the worst mass slaughters in the nation’s history on Tuesday.

Cruz mercilessly killed 14 students and 3 teachers on Valentine’s Day in 2018 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with an AR-15 rifle — spraying defenseless victims with bullets and in some cases circling back to finish off the wounded.

Bound by a recent jury verdict that opted against a death sentence for the atrocity, Judge Elizabeth Scherer formalized Cruz’s fate in front of a gallery packed with the seething relatives of his victims.

Several spectators began crying as she read out the names of the dead individually and recited the life sentences.

Cruz looked on with vacant attention as his fate was made official, and left the courtroom in handcuffs without turning to look at gathered family members.

Scherer did not address Cruz directly in handing down the sentence, and instead praised those impacted by the crime for their grace and resilience.

“I want to thank the family members for the privilege of learning about each and every one of your loved ones,” she said. “I can tell you that they will not be forgotten.”

The Parkland school massacre will be reenacted, with gunfire, in lawsuit against sheriff's deputy​

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — Ballistics experts will fire up to 139 shots at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Friday during a reenactment of the 2018 Parkland massacre organized as part of a lawsuit that accuses a sheriff’s deputy of failing in his duty to protect the victims.

As the reenactment takes place, technicians outside a three-story classroom building will record the sound of the gunfire, seeking to capture what the deputy assigned to the school, Scot Peterson, heard during the six-minute attack.

The shooting, which sparked a nationwide movement for gun control, left 17 dead, 17 wounded and hundreds traumatized in the South Florida community. Former Stoneman Douglas student Nikolas Cruz, 24, pleaded guilty in 2021 and was sentenced to life in prison.

Peterson — who worked for the Broward Sheriff’s Office, also targeted in the lawsuit — says he didn’t hear all the shots and couldn’t pinpoint where they were coming from because of echoes. He got within feet of the building’s door and drew his gun, but then backed away and stood next to an adjoining building for 40 minutes, making radio calls. He has said he would have charged into the building if he knew that’s where the shooter was.

Families of the victims bringing the lawsuit contend Peterson knew Cruz’s location, but retreated out of cowardice and in violation of his duty to protect their loved ones.

Peterson, 60, was acquitted in June of felony child neglect and other criminal charges for failing to act, the first U.S. trial in history of a law enforcement officer for conduct during an on-campus shooting.

But the burden of proof is lower in a civil lawsuit. Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips allowed the test, but made clear she was not ruling on whether the recording will be played at trial. That, she said, will have to be argued later — it is likely Peterson's attorneys will oppose the attempt. No trial date has been set. The families and wounded are seeking unspecified damages.

The experts will fire live ammunition from the same spots as Cruz, with an identical AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle. The bullets will be caught by a safety device. The school is closed for summer break and students and teachers are not on campus.

David Brill, the families' attorney leading the reenactment, did not return calls and emails seeking comment. Peterson's attorney, Michael Piper, declined comment.

Back