• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Auburn University gymnast broke both of her legs after suffering a horrific fall during competition this weekend.

Samantha Cerio was making her first pass during her floor routine at the Baton Rouge Regional on Friday when she fell on the blind landing.

The crowd gasped as Cerio, a senior on the team, attempted a handspring double front but fell to the mat and screamed out in pain.

'I think she may be hurt,' one of the competition's commentators said as doctors ran to help.

Cerio reportedly dislocated both of her knees and broke both of her legs in the fall. She was carted out of the arena on a stretcher with air casts on both of her legs as the crowd gave her a standing ovation,

Cerio may have a long road to recovery, but she's also got an exciting future ahead off the mat.

The senior, who was named SEC co-scholar athlete of the year, will graduate this year with an aerospace engineering degree.

Cerio is getting married in Alabama this June and will then head to Seattle to begin working for Boeing.

Attachments

• 1554704188113.png
    1554704188113.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 1554704295735.png
    1554704295735.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 85
I refuse to watch this video. I dislocated my shoulder playing ice hockey years ago. I wasn't aware it was even possible to feel that amount of pain and that's nothing compared to this... I'd be begging for a bullet in the head if I went though something like this.

I always thought we were big and tough, taking the hits and falls with our massive pads on. Free-style gymnasts and figure skaters are the real tough ones. Leotards don't offer a great deal of protection.

You never recover 100% from major injuries like this. I'd say her gymnast days are over. I pray that her recovery is complete enough that she isn't reminded of it on a daily basis for the rest of her life.

I agree, her days are over as a gymnast. The human body is much more fragile than we know. Our primate cousins have 20 times our strength, reflexes, recuperative powers, etc., we ask the improbable of ourselves and wonder why we break.the video is heartbreaking. I only hope this young lady realizes how blessed she was that this wasn't fatal, and that she doesn't fall into despair as so many athletes do when tragic circumstances rob them of their gift. God bless her from all the DD family.

That takes some serious force and misfortune given how freakishly fucking stout college gymnasts are. These arent like those scrawny, science experiment 12 year olds you see in the olympics, these girls are built like dwarfs, except athletic/strong. They're fuckin freaky.

This is yet another example of why male sports are better though. I never cared much for watching female gymnastics, simply not as powerful or athletic as the men, who are vastly more exciting to watch perform.

Love the announcer, "I think she may be...........hurt" and then he says something about her ankles hahah. Amazing. Who hired this guy? He was prob watching male gymnastics on his phone while lookin up periodically, completely disinterested, just to get a comment out for the broadcast.

Aerospace engineering major, hopefully she utlizes her time sitting in a wheelchair for a year by hitting the books hard. Boeing needs all the help it can get to stop slaughtering people with their outrageous, shocking ineptitude.

You never recover 100% from major injuries like this. I'd say her gymnast days are over. I pray that her recovery is complete enough that she isn't reminded of it on a daily basis for the rest of her life.

She already has released a statement saying her days as a gymnast are over. It doesnt read as though she means she physically cant do it anymore, but possibly moreso that by the time she heals up or rehabs shell be done with college and all that.

As a gymnastics "Granny" this horrifies me. Every time our girl gets on the mat, I worry. She, is doing what she loves, and is aware of the dangers, but that does not take away my fear for her.

According to some updated stories her legs weren't actually broken they just did an extraordinary extreme dislocation and tore ligaments which is arguably worse. Specialized, highly specialized surgery was done on her. Either way she's done.

Reminds me of those generic Barbies back in the day. If you made them briskly walk away from generic Ken or generic GI Joe during an argument (generic GI Joe was a know-it-all asshole), their legs folded kinda like that.

For real, though, that had to sting a bit.

According to some updated stories her legs weren't actually broken they just did an extraordinary extreme dislocation and tore ligaments which is arguably worse. Specialized, highly specialized surgery was done on her. Either way she's done.

I joked with some actual human beings that it might be far worse then it looks, cuz gymnasts are usually quite flexible and oftentimes double jointed. This could be normal for her.

But yeah, you dont dislocate your joints, certainly knees like that, without tearing and absolutly fucking shredding your tendons and ligaments. She's fucked.

Back