• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

Thanks to @The Night Nurse we all have something else to keep us up at night!

A United Kingdom mother is warning other new parents after her 11-month-old son, Oliver, developed sepsis that led to the removal of all four of his limbs — including one she claims self-amputated when his diaper was being changed.

Abigail Wardle, from Cleethorpes, England, told Yahoo Style UK she first took Oliver to a medical clinic on March 16, when the young boy seemed “a bit under the weather.”

Wardle claims a doctor sent them home, instructing her to give Oliver fluids and acetaminophen for children. But his condition quickly went downhill.

By that night, Oliver was seemingly sicker; Wardle described him as “lifeless.”

“When I moved him, it was as though his bones were aching,” she recalled.

The next day, Wardle told Yahoo Style UK she took Oliver back to the doctor. Upon arrival, a nurse became “immediately concerned” and the young boy was quickly rushed to emergency care. At this point, Wardle wasn’t clear what was wrong with her son, telling the publication it was “all a blur.”

"I could hear a doctor on the phone to another hospital asking how to treat Oliver,” she said. "His hand and feet had started to go purple, and I just remember thinking he must be cold and telling them to put some socks on him.”

Oliver was reportedly placed in a medically induced coma.

Post automatically merged:

"Once he had his limbs removed, he was like a different child — so happy and full of life, it seemed like a relief for him,” she told the news outlet.

This is a sentence that should never have to be spoken.

Last edited:
Just avoided this disaster two weeks ago. My kid is a competitive dancer so she's ALWAYS dinged up. Anyway she was whining about her knee hurting (no surprise) but it was weird cause the kneecap was red and warm to the touch and she wouldn't quit complaining about how much it hurt so I took her to urgent care (it was Sunday). Dr immediately recognized it as an infection, put her on antibiotics and had her return or check in with her dr every day the following week to make sure it didn't spread into the knee joint (sepsis). Could have been VERY bad if not recognized and treated so quickly. :eek:
Post automatically merged:

oh and what.the.ever.living.fuck.

including one she claims self-amputated when his diaper was being changed.

Just avoided this disaster two weeks ago. My kid is a competitive dancer so she's ALWAYS dinged up. Anyway she was whining about her knee hurting (no surprise) but it was weird cause the kneecap was red and warm to the touch and she wouldn't quit complaining about how much it hurt so I took her to urgent care (it was Sunday). Dr immediately recognized it as an infection, put her on antibiotics and had her return or check in with her dr every day the following week to make sure it didn't spread into the knee joint (sepsis). Could have been VERY bad if not recognized and treated so quickly.

I am currently dealing with a staph infection. A small cut became infected and I didn’t think much about it. Clean it , hydrogen peroxide it and call it a day. Lo and behold, I start getting, what I assumed were killer mosquito bites from Hell.

As they proceeded to get worse, I thought possibly it was a pissed off spider attacking me throughout the night. We bug sprayed, washed everything, vacuumed, the whole shebang and I still was getting them. Went to the doc, because after looking online, I thought it was scabies. Turns out to be a staph infection and if I had waited any longer, I would’ve had serious problems.

The doc figured I probably got it from a mailbox (not from a toilet seat or doorknob) while delivering mail on my route. When I come back to the office at the end of the day, my hands are filthy! I’m amazed I’ve never gotten one of these in all my years as a mail carrier!

The doc figured I probably got it from a mailbox (not from a toilet seat or doorknob) while delivering mail on my route. When I come back to the office at the end of the day, my hands are filthy! I’m amazed I’ve never gotten one of these in all my years as a mail carrier!
Staph is weird like that.

For about two years I kept getting what appeared to be severe razor burn on my calves after shaving. Within 24 hours of shaving my legs I'd have this ugly rash that would burn like hell. Only happened to my calves and only after shaving. Doctors tested me for all kinds of skin issues. Turns out that people with eczema often carry large amounts of staph on their skin. My then 8 year old daughter was giving me staph infections simply by us both bathing in the same bathtub. It wasn't even something I'd considered. I keep a pretty clean bathroom but that was when I found out that some cleaners dont kill staph and that staph lives for weeeeeeks on surfaces. Im now fanatic about cleaning the tub with bleach and I no longer have baths lol

I guess I'm Lucky, being diabetic my immune system should be shot to hell and back but I rarely get sick with infections, fevers and such. Crazy stuff yes, like Meniere's Disease, Frozen Shoulder, Swollen Eyeballs, stuff that takes half the state of Georgia to figure out.

I remembered, swollen eyeballs is actually macular edema, had to have several shots straight into my eyeballs to reduce the swelling. ugh!

Last edited:
My brother was in the Navy in San Diego and died of sepsis at the age of 26. Went surfing in the a.m., came home thinking he was coming down with the flu. His wife of one week called the Navy hospital as she wanted him to be admitted and they poo pooed her, said to give him fluids and pain reliever. An hour later he seemed to be worsening so she called the other local Navy hospital, asking for an ambulance. Same lame response. An hour later my brother told her he could not feel his legs, she sped him to the hospital and when he got there his temp was 105, his kidneys failed, and his body shut down. When I finally got the autopsy report, my S-I-L had a dr. at the hospital she works at review it. He told her to tell me to sue the Navy. Apparently he did have his spleen removed 2 yrs. prior and some people need meds which is determined by blood tests; his drs. never tested him. Apparently this compromised his immune system and the timing of emergency medical response was also a contributor. Well, he was on active duty so there's no suing the military, despite what was labeled "malpractice" by the reviewing dr. :(

From what I understand, I'm places where there is socialized, amputation is common. It's usually less costly to remove the limb than save it. The mom isn't being flippant ...she sees this as a norm and is just happy her child is alive.

Back