• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A toddler died after being left in a car in New Jersey, law enforcement sources said.

Lakewood Township police are investigating the death of the nearly 2-year-old girl, who died Monday around 2 p.m. after a neighbor made the heartbreaking discovery, according to law enforcement sources.

A law enforcement source told News 4 the toddler’s mother tried to take her to day care, but the toddler didn’t want to go in, so they drove home together.

At that point, there was a miscommunication about whether the toddler’s mother or father would bring the toddler in from the car, the source said.

Committeeman Meir Lichtenstein said warm temperatures may have contributed to the toddler’s death. It wasn't clear how long the toddler may have been in the car.

Temperatures were in the 60s and 70s around the tri-state on Monday, however, it doesn't take long for the inside of cars to heat up. On a 70-degree day, temps inside a car can skyrocket to near 90 degrees in just 10 minutes and more than 100 degrees in 30 minutes, Storm Team 4 said.

The parents haven't been accused of any wrong doing and face no criminal charges.

First of all, no 2yo is telling me what they're gonna do and not gonna do.

Second of all, how hard is it to yell out, Hey hubby/wifey, you got the baby? How is it, too, that the child is not missed when you are inside the house, 2yos are generally noisy, bratty, creating chaos 24/7. I call hinkiness.

First of all, no 2yo is telling me what they're gonna do and not gonna do.

Second of all, how hard is it to yell out, Hey hubby/wifey, you got the baby? How is it, too, that the child is not missed when you are inside the house, 2yos are generally noisy, bratty, creating chaos 24/7. I call hinkiness.

OMG exactly. Any watchful parent will feel nervous not knowing what their toddler is up to. There is no comfort in assumption - you go and see what that child is doing because a quiet home is disquieting.

Bizarre they arent being charged. Surely that is coming.

I dont buy for a second their story that there was confusion over who would bring the kid in and just didnt realize it was still in the vehicle. That's absurd and totally unbelievable. Im thinkin the kid was violently tantrumming out and they didnt wanna have to deal with her so they said fuck off and left it in the car to chill out, perhaps with the intent to come back after the kid yelled itself to sleep or perhaps not. Either waited too long cuz theyre stupid scumbags nad the kid died, willfully let the kid roast to death cuz theyre scumbags, or being exhausted parents they fell asleep once inside and tragically woke up too late.

May seem like bad parenting to just give in, but i have had to deal with some truly damage case nutter kids and sometimes it legitimately is simply not possible to force them to do shit. 2 is a bit young to be giving in though, bit early to know if the kid is a damage case who seriously simply can not be controlled, but who knows, if this kid was a true nutter, it could still be understandable. I had a 4 year old that legit prob would have been instutionalized if preschool workers or people out in public at say Walmart or whoever else saw how she would rage. That shit was legit terrifying and a genuine danger to the rest of society, even at that young of an age. A 4 year old can still cause some physical harm, especially if encountering another child or an elderly person. When she was in psychotic rage mode, i had to cancel whatever plan or errand i had and just lock her in a room until she passed out.

They had scored some drugs and wanted to park the child somewhere while they partook?
How could they have not noticed the child wasn't in the house unless they were too stoned.

Or maybe one of the parents works night shift so they put the kid in daycare so he/she can get some needed rest?

Mindblown the first reaction folks here have is to assume the parents are drug users or to simply fail to think up any of the many logical, far more likely scenarios that could be at work in this family. Weakass critical thinking skills runnin amok in this thread. Big surrpise.

Or maybe one of the parents works night shift so they put the kid in daycare so he/she can get some needed rest?

Mindblown the first reaction folks here have is to assume the parents are drug users or to simply fail to think up any of the many logical, far more likely scenarios that could be at work in this family. Weakass critical thinking skills runnin amok in this thread. Big surrpise.
I still have no sympathy for parents who didn't keep track of a yelling toddler for several hours.
You are all about sympathy for DD subjects these days. You are getting more compassionate in your curmudgeonly old age. But you do feel a lot smarter than the rest of us, so you stay despite our mental failings.

I wonder if they aren't charging yet because they want to pin it on a single person since that's how most murder charges work, and neither parent is blaming the other. If you can't legally prove which parent is responsible it's very difficult to prosecute so I wonder if they're banking on that loophole to save em both.

I still have no sympathy for parents who didn't keep track of a yelling toddler for several hours.
You are all about sympathy for DD subjects these days. You are getting more compassionate in your curmudgeonly old age. But you do feel a lot smarter than the rest of us, so you stay despite our mental failings.

Who said anything about sympathy or compassion?

It merely addresses the question of what kind of parents might put a child in daycare when both can be home during the day, since so many geniuses in this topic just couldnt fathom any reason other then drug use.

Bizarre they arent being charged. Surely that is coming.

I dont buy for a second their story that there was confusion over who would bring the kid in and just didnt realize it was still in the vehicle. That's absurd and totally unbelievable. Im thinkin the kid was violently tantrumming out and they didnt wanna have to deal with her so they said fuck off and left it in the car to chill out, perhaps with the intent to come back after the kid yelled itself to sleep or perhaps not. Either waited too long cuz theyre stupid scumbags nad the kid died, willfully let the kid roast to death cuz theyre scumbags, or being exhausted parents they fell asleep once inside and tragically woke up too late.

May seem like bad parenting to just give in, but i have had to deal with some truly damage case nutter kids and sometimes it legitimately is simply not possible to force them to do shit. 2 is a bit young to be giving in though, bit early to know if the kid is a damage case who seriously simply can not be controlled, but who knows, if this kid was a true nutter, it could still be understandable. I had a 4 year old that legit prob would have been instutionalized if preschool workers or people out in public at say Walmart or whoever else saw how she would rage. That shit was legit terrifying and a genuine danger to the rest of society, even at that young of an age. A 4 year old can still cause some physical harm, especially if encountering another child or an elderly person. When she was in psychotic rage mode, i had to cancel whatever plan or errand i had and just lock her in a room until she passed out.

Here on DD we read, over and over again, about parents getting high out of their minds and leaving their kids to die. It's easy ( although not necessarily true ) to assume that the same type of shit happened with this kid. Anyway, there's something fishy here.

There is something WAY off on this. Why go to daycare if your home. Why go to daycare if your both home. Why the fuck would you not realize the other didn't bring the child in, maybe, unlikely but maybe they each thought the other got her, but it wouldn't take but a moment for them to realize neither got the child. They are shit parents no matter what truth comes out, but there is definitely some missing details for sure.

She was left from early morning until a NEIGHBOR found her at 2pm... Even then, THEY weren't the ones to find her.
This is local to me, they won't be charged. If you're familiar with the kind of community this is, and the politics of the area, you'll know why not. This happens alllllllll the time there, and they're never charged. But the most likely reason she was left in the first place is because there is a tendency to put the older (7, 8 yo or so) kids in charge of the younger ones while the parents do whatever.

I'm sorry, I had 3 boys and never once did I "forget" one of them in the car or anywhere else! They were not quiet, as most boys aren't, and if I didn't hear anything I was definitely checking it out!!! Now, I will admit to one time choking my middle son in Walmart! He was about 6 or so and he had Tourettes and ADD, so his MD said to turn his chin towards me to ensure that he was looking and listening! So, he was acting up in the buggy and not listening, and I turned his chin towards me and he started making choking sounds and saying, rather loudly, "You're choking me, you're choking me" and I put my hands around his neck, squeezed lightly and said "NO dammit, "THIS" is choking you"!!! He NEVER pulled that stunt again!!!

She was left from early morning until a NEIGHBOR found her at 2pm... Even then, THEY weren't the ones to find her.
This is local to me, they won't be charged. If you're familiar with the kind of community this is, and the politics of the area, you'll know why not. This happens alllllllll the time there, and they're never charged. But the most likely reason she was left in the first place is because there is a tendency to put the older (7, 8 yo or so) kids in charge of the younger ones while the parents do whatever.
Can you explain what the politics and community of the area means no charges?

Stupid point to make but my kid goes to daycare and I work from home. I’m a QA tester for a corporate site. First thing people say when they hear WFH ‘oh it must be wonderful to spend all day with your kids’
No, I work. You try debugging a shopping cart cobbled together from 4 overly customized CMS while your three year old screams about that asshole Blippi and cold corn dogs.

I would never forget them in the car. I’ve had to pick them up late, trying to hold off crying while on mute during conference calls. Un-muting to blurt out stuff before one of the kids start talking about poo poo.

Toddlers should not be dictating to adults what they will and won't do. If the parents in this case did not let the child dictate what should happen, the kid would be alive. Same with the toddler that fell from the cruise ship... she told grandpa she wanted to be lifted up to the window, and he immediately complied. If he had checked the window and made an adult decision that sitting in said window would be too dangerous, that little girl would also be alive.

.. she told grandpa she wanted to be lifted up to the window, and he immediately complied.
Which is why the self esteem movement is utter bullshit. It seems to over rule common sense. It is our duty to illustrate the most sensible options to ignorant children, even if it make us unpopular, or makes them momentarily uncomfortable.
They will get over it. Really!

Back