• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1666184675852.png

In late June, two compassionate cat lovers were doing what they love…feeding homeless cats, and setting live traps to capture the felines who would then be taken to a veterinarian to be sterilized. But rather than accomplishing what they set out to do, Mary Alston, 60, and Beverly Roberts, 84, were confronted by the police.
The women were confused, initially assuming that it was some sort of mistake. Surely the police had no grievances with the “cat ladies of Wetumpka.” But as it turned out, the officers knew who the women were, and they wanted them to stop what they were doing.

In a video showing the interaction, Mary Alston can be seen explaining to the officers that she is trying to catch the cats to “help get them out” of the area, and she mentions that the city should be “thanking her” for her efforts. Alston is instructed to leave because she is “trespassing,” but when the officers return a short time later, she is still there, and so is 84-year-old Beverly Roberts. Roberts is told that she is being taken to jail for trespassing, and she seems to be rightfully taken aback by the statement.
Roberts is visibly upset after being told that she is being arrested and taken to jail and when she tries to give her car keys to Alston, the officer tells her that it is going to “get ugly” if she doesn’t start complying.

ugly-1024x465.png

Ultimately, both women are put into cuffs and hauled to jail. Something they stated was “humiliating and degrading.” Worse than the humiliation is their inability to do what they love – feed the cats that need them. Roberts told the Montgomery Adviser, “All we want to do is feed starving cats. I don’t know how anyone could see starving animals and not want to help.”
It seems as if the police in Wetumpka targeted these women because they are known animal welfare advocates. In fact, 85-year-old Roberts is a bit of a “squeaky wheel,” helping to pass an ordinance in town banning dogs from being tied up or tethered, and drawing attention to cases of animal abuse and cruelty in the area at City Council meetings.

Imagine – using city resources to target women who are doing GOOD things for the community. Women who are raising awareness of animal cruelty, helping pass animal welfare ordinances, and caring for unwanted stray cats. If you find the charges against these women as outrageous as we at Animal Victory do, please add your name to the petition. Your signatures and coments will be sent to city officials along with our letter demanding that the charges be dropped.
We the undersigned demand that frivolous charges against Beverly Roberts and Mary Alston be dropped. Additionally, we want to see the city work WITH these women to improve the stray cat situation in the area, rather than against them. To our knowledge, Roberts and Alston are using their own resources to feed, trap, and sterilize these cats; their actions are an asset to the city and these women should be commended for their efforts, rather than punished.
On October 20, both women will appear in court to face their charges. Roberts is facing charges of criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct and Alson is charged with criminal trespassing and obstructing government operations. Your support is urgently needed in order to show court officials that we stand with Alston and Roberts!

Starts at the 3:35

Update 10/18/2022: Animal Victory has sent 14,492 signatures and our letter of intent to Honorable William A. Shashy, presiding defense attorney.

You can sign the petition at the link above.

My mother in law used to do this too. The woods near her house was just overflowing with cats, she and Dad would feed them for a while and then set cages out and and take the ones who went into the cages to the vet, get them neutered and then bring them back to their place in the woods. As far as I know everyone in the neighborhood thought it was great.

I feed the cats that are wandering here when I get the opportunity, we technically are not allowed to, since that would bring more cats to the dumpster that sits on the back parking lot. Especially in the evening you can see dozens of cats roaming about.

I don't live in a completely rural area so it can be surprising how many cats are out there. One night, after getting home late I sat in the car and counted about 15 cats just sitting in the yard of the house across the street.

If they were trespassing and were warmed not to do it and they continued to trespass, no question they are guilty, what’s to appeal
I know the original article said they were being charged with trespassing, but were they? Did I miss where the article stated that it was private property and the owner was pressing charges? My first read through made me think that they were on public land, like a city park or something. But convicting people of trying to reduce the feral pet population isn't a good look, especially if it wasn't private property... :shifty:

I know the original article said they were being charged with trespassing, but were they? Did I miss where the article stated that it was private property and the owner was pressing charges? My first read through made me think that they were on public land, like a city park or something. But convicting people of trying to reduce the feral pet population isn't a good look, especially if it wasn't private property... :shifty:
some cat lovers are backing them, but they’re in the wrong, just cause some organization agrees with them it doesn’t make it right
This is one of those, just listen to our point of view and agree with us

Roberts is facing charges of criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct and Alson is charged with criminal trespassing and obstructing government operations.

some cat lovers are backing them, but they’re in the wrong, just cause some organization agrees with them it doesn’t make it right
This is one of those, just listen to our point of view and agree with us

Roberts is facing charges of criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct and Alson is charged with criminal trespassing and obstructing government operations.
Well if they're being menaces, then yeah, lock 'em up. I just came away from the original article thinking "what's the big deal"? I wish they would have specified what kind of property it was beyond just "trespassing". Because I thought it was like city parkland or something. Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Update April 2023: Animal Victory is pleased to report that the prosecutors have made motions to nolle prosse (no longer pursue) the cases against Alson and Roberts, and Elmore County Circuit Court Judge J. Amanda Baxley has approved the motions. There was no reason provided for the prosecutors’ change of heart, and the judge gave no indication as to why she granted the motions. The charges have not been dropped and city prosecutors have until June 25 to reinstate the charges if they choose to. We are Animal Victory are hopeful that the prosecutors will see reason and drop their pursuit of criminal charges against the women who were clearly trying to help. We thank everyone who took the time to sign our petition and help us fight for justice!

This is good news!

A few years ago, my town passed a resolution to fine people $1,000 if they're caught feeding strays. My 95 year-old neighbor continued to put out food anyway, saying that he didn't care. And I have another neighbor who goes out in the middle of the night to feed a feral colony that lives on the grounds of a nearby business. She does this with the full permission of the business owner. As far as I know, the police have never enforced the no-feed law.

Did whoever called the cops on them not realize that whether or not these ladies fed the cats, the cats would still be there. Lost and abandoned cats are everywhere, if you see a place that you think is small enough for a cat to hide, 99% chance that a cat is there, or at least has been there, any wooded area, even if it's only 6 feet wide, there's cats there. You just don't see them because cats are experts at hiding. With the trapping and spaying, at least, those won't be adding more cats to the colony.

Latest posts

Back