• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
Terrible accident for all involved. :(

The girls should not have been on the road with this thing. Now they're both dead, and the driver of the truck will be forever traumatized knowing she hit and killed them. Even though she's not at fault I'm sure that's a guilt she's going to carry with her always.

Neither child was wearing a helmet according to the video at link.

Two children, ages 9 and 12, were killed when the minibike they were riding crashed into a pickup truck in Polk County on Sunday, according to the sheriff's office.
The wreck happened in the area of Connersville Road and Wellington Place at about 4:15 p.m.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said 12-year-old Charisma Vega and her sister, 9-year-old Kiara were riding a minibike on Wellington Place and crossed Connersville where they were struck by a black 2019 Chevy Z71. Judd said the driver of the truck did not see the girls before she hit them and immediately stopped after hearing a noise.

"These two little girls were just out on a Sunday afternoon, having fun, but riding a minibike that is not certified for the road," Judd said. "This is the kind of toy that should have been operated in an open field, on a dirt field and not on a highway."

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/2-children-killed-in-polk-county-crash/1874138766

when I was about 12 briefly had one for like 3 months and driving while reaching down and kept the throttle open full blast to go max speed, they should be nowhere around a road or cars because they are so low, they are lower than bikes and harder to see, really feel bad for their family and the poor driver

Very sad, and seemingly not so different than kids shooting through 4-way intersections on their scooters because they don't understand traffic laws. But I wonder if it happened because the young operator got mixed up, couldn't stop the bike, and blew the intersection by accident?

Hope the girls parents had insurance that will cover the truck damage

I can't think what kind of insurance that would be, though. The girls were operating the bike illegally, on a road (also illegal) for a vehicle that can't be registered and thus idk how it could carry any kind of vehicular insurance.

They weren't on their property, so I don't know that homeowners could extend to this. I'm thinking the truck's policy would have to pay under collision and the owner/owner's insurance carrier could possibly sue the parents to recoup the deductible and whatever else..?

I can't think what kind of insurance that would be, though. The girls were operating the bike illegally, on a road (also illegal) for a vehicle that can't be registered and thus idk how it could carry any kind of vehicular insurance.

They weren't on their property, so I don't know that homeowners could extend to this. I'm thinking the truck's policy would have to pay under collision and the owner/owner's insurance carrier could possibly sue the parents to recoup the deductible and whatever else..?
I wasn't sure if this was the case in America, so I looked and apparently it varies by state..but yes you are supposed to register minibikes in most states if you plan on ever touching public road with it.

In Canada you must register ALL motorized vehicles if they touch public roads. If you dont plan on touching public roads, you dont have to register them. In the states it varies by state as to whether a mini bike falls into a ATV category or not. It really depends on how many cc's this mini bike was as to if it had to be registered or not. Iowa law states anything over 50cc(or anything that goes faster than 20 miles an hour) must be registered and the user must have a valid drivers license(not a motorcycle license). If it is under 50cc it is considered a motorized bicycle and requires no registration or license.

I wasn't sure if this was the case in America, so I looked and apparently it varies by state..but yes you are supposed to register minibikes in most states if you plan on ever touching public road with it.

In Canada you must register ALL motorized vehicles if they touch public roads. If you dont plan on touching public roads, you dont have to register them. In the states it varies by state as to whether a mini bike falls into a ATV category or not. It really depends on how many cc's this mini bike was as to if it had to be registered or not. Iowa law states anything over 50cc(or anything that goes faster than 20 miles an hour) must be registered and the user must have a valid drivers license(not a motorcycle license). If it is under 50cc it is considered a motorized bicycle and requires no registration or license.

This is all correct for FL too, mostly. Based on the Sheriff's comments, this vehicle was not legal to be driven on the road at all, so my assumption was that it's under 50cc and couldn't be registered.

And if it had been legal to register, it certainly shouldn't have been being operated by non-licensed children in the street. :(

Authorities says the mini-bike was an off-road vehicle that was not certified to be on the roadways.
“We lost two beautiful babies today, 9 and 12-years-old,” said Judd and he asked for prayers for their family and for the driver who hit them. He says the driver is a mother herself and is devastated by what happened.
Judd said the mini-bike is a type of toy that should have been operated on a dirt field and never on the roads.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...2-year-old-die-in-unincorporated-bartow-crash

Terrible accident for all involved. :(

The girls should not have been on the road with this thing. Now they're both dead, and the driver of the truck will be forever traumatized knowing she hit and killed them. Even though she's not at fault I'm sure that's a guilt she's going to carry with her always.

Neither child was wearing a helmet according to the video at link.

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/2-children-killed-in-polk-county-crash/1874138766
And under parent supervision

See I took what he said a bit differently. There was actually more to his statement.

"We're all devastated because we saw two beautiful children lose their lives and all they were doing is riding a mini-bike," Judd said. "But [they were] riding a mini-bike that's not certified for the road and certainly at that age they can't ride it anyway."
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/2-children-killed-in-crash-in-bartow

Not being road certified doesn't mean it wasn't a vehicle that shouldn't have been registered. It just means it wasn't. That he mentioned they were too young leads me to believe it might very well have been one that needed to be registered. General rule of thumb for ATV's, insured or otherwise, is that its legal to drive them at 12. Under that age and you run into a lot of grey areas that really vary.

Back