• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Edwina Gein

Pinko Satanist Snowflake
26 years after David Lynch made TV history with the cult classic supernatural horror themed murder mystery drama, we return to the unusual Washington town peopled with even more usual characters in an 18 episode limited series directed entirely by Lynch and written by creators David Lynch and Mark Frost themselves

tumblr_nf44hnVMd71ru2xb6o1_500.gif

So now that episode 1-4 are up and it's on a week hiatus for Memorial's Day, any thoughts? I have personal ups and downs. It was rumored that Lynch almost dropped out due to budgetary concerns and it shows. While cameras have improved, it's easier to spot how cheap everything looks, especially with the new CGI, and how characters we've grown to know and love have aged

HOWEVER, I do love the subtle nods to the original series and accompanying movie Fire Walk With Me, especially in Episode 3; its mention of Agent Phillip Jeffries makes me hope that before David Bowie's death at the beginning of this year, they managed to get some footage of him, much like Miguel Ferrer and Catherine Coulson were able to return as Agent Albert Rosenfield and Margaret 'Log Lady' Lanterman before theirs

Last edited:
No spoilers but...

does it satisfy that painful feeling of, "holy shit what next!!!!????" the brilliant cliffhanging season 2 finale leaves one with?

Answer, yes. Satisfy, no. It's only 4 out of 18 episodes in

If you want a refresher course but don't feel like watching all of the original, this video essay series is HIGHLY recommended: Journey Through Twin Peaks

Yeah i figured with 18 eps it's gonna be a slower burn, which is def a good thing after the consequences of the rushjob the shows first run turned into. I suppose what i was getting at is a question of whether or not the show is continuing the awesome mythos and mystery and all the rest in a satisfying way? Is the new season comparable on the creepy, wondrous level to the original?

Gonna try to get the woman to watch it, so hopefully be startin from the beginning. Caught up on the somewhat dissaponiting Fargo season 3 and just finished Bridge(swedish version, of course). Need something else to watch.

Some times i cant believe we live in the same world.

I have no idea what twin peaks is even. I guess i should know but honestly, i dont..
I gather its a tv show. That explains a lot because i havent wstched much tv in my life. Read, cook, garden etc.

I hope everyone is filled with happiness over this new twin peaks release. Especially @JackBurton he seems like hes always disappointed in everything. Maybe this will be the time he says * fuck yeah... greatest thing ever to come into my life.

I suppose what i was getting at is a question of whether or not the show is continuing the awesome mythos and mystery and all the rest in a satisfying way? Is the new season comparable on the creepy, wondrous level to the original?

It's satisfying but no, not comparable. It has a lot of issues; maybe some are just personal preferences of mine (like a lack of certain characters and low effects budget) but I think 90s Twin Peaks is still where it's at

low effects budget)

Ugh that doesn't sound good. It doesnt take much, especially nowadays, to do some great effects work. It just reeks of laziness when shows today showcase their low budget. Ash Vs Evil Dead on Stars for example, mainly season 1, was cringeworthy at times(although it delivered overrall i must say). There's simply no excuse, especially for the first season of a show like this where there shouldnt have been significant time constraints or factors forcing them to rush the product to completion, for poor effects work or for an effect to show its budget.

The original Twin Peaks wasnt effects heavy from what i remember. I dont even see what could require a lot of work/money to make it all work.

As long as the characters' absences are explained well(are they?) and not treated as some insignificant thing, "we couldnt get this actor back so let's just say fuck the character and hope no one notices or cares much" type of deal, i wont be too bothered.

How's the creep factor? Is the creepy detective/mystery angle the primary focus of the show and is that aspect done real well? Hopin they dont end up focusing in more on the goofball/quirky stuff, not only cuz the former is far more interesting, but also cuz the latter i dont think would feel quite so fresh and original and fun nowadays given how the television show landscape has changed and how varied it's gotten since the early 90s.

There's no way it could be worse then the return of the X-Files (BARF!). So at least there's that.
[doublepost=1495933811,1495933296][/doublepost]
I have no idea what twin peaks is even. I guess i should know but honestly, i dont..
I gather its a tv show.

It's one of the most unique, original, and weirdest shows in tv history. It's primarily a very well done, very creepy murder mystery/detective story fueled by some intriguing and bizarre supernatural elements. This aspect is why people love Twin Peaks, this is what makes the show so brilliant. It's one of the greatest crime shows ever on that level.

Either to fill air time or cuz David Lynch is fucking weird or in an effort to increase viewership the show also switches gears entirely at times into a hilarious parody/spoof of cheesy tv, cornball soap operas and the like for example. It all makes for one of the most odd, weird, and delightful shows you can experience.

It's all the more special and respected due to when the show came out. It was FAR ahead of its time. Even debuting nowadays, a show like Twin Peaks woulda blown some minds and had many, if not most viewrs going, "what the fuck am i watchin!!!???"(in both a good and bad way). The fact that something like this came out in the early 90s is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
@Keepalowprofile, you are not alone.
I have never seen twin peaks either.
Way back then, a local morning radio show did a long running parody called Mt. Diablo Twin Peaks (because Mt,Diablo has a Twin Peaks). It was hysterical and it was the only way I got a gist of what the original show was about.

The original Twin Peaks wasnt effects heavy from what i remember. I dont even see what could require a lot of work/money to make it all work.

As long as the characters' absences are explained well(are they?) and not treated as some insignificant thing, "we couldnt get this actor back so let's just say fuck the character and hope no one notices or cares much" type of deal, i wont be too bothered.

How's the creep factor? Is the creepy detective/mystery angle the primary focus of the show and is that aspect done real well?

David Lynch explores the Black Lodge more in this series; it feels like the effects budget went toward that

They explain a few major characters. I heard The Secret World of Twin Peaks takes care of the minors. There's a lot of small town quirkiness still

Creep factor is good. It's not 100% the focus but when it is, it shines imo

Finally got a chance to check it out...

Ugh, not feeling it thus far. The tone is spot on, that bouncing around from "what in the fuck?" horror and the goofball comedy is fully present. But 4 eps in and I feel like there's wayyyyy too much of a focus on the goofy stuff.

There also is yet to be any interesting mystery to emerge. We've gotten some weird tidbits here and there, but they pop up and then pretty much dont come up again, at least not yet. I'm left itching at the bit during the other shit that makes up the bulk of the eps thus far, wishing the show would go back to the far more interesting elements, which sadly thus far dont even involve cooper or any past character actually.

Wondering if they made this season too large (18 eps seems immense). Shoulda focused it more. Already feels just too all over the damn place, and again, too comical.

Hopefully it starts kicking into gear in the coming eps, honestly not sure if i can force through a season this long if it's gonna be more of the same. It needs to focus in on the creepy awesome stuff and quick.
[doublepost=1513134793,1513124421][/doublepost]haha what the fuck is Michael Cera doing?

A short cameo is on thing, but his bit drags on for over 5 min. It's so fucking absurd. I bounced around from hating it to thinking it was comedic brilliance to throw that into a show like this. Ultiamtely, again, i cant get behind it. I love the quirky goofiness like that in Twin Peaks, BUT only when its clashing with a tremendous horror tinged mystery. Again, this season has yet to firmly establish and let such a thing take hold. Im left with just a long dumb goofball scene that is making me wait all the longer for something truly interesting to happen.
[doublepost=1513507779][/doublepost]Holy shit!!!

Just finished it. Wow. Mindfucked.

Massive spoilers below

spoilers

So my take on the season. Most of it really wasnt too hard to understand/decipher if you really gave it some thought, but somethings were just too fucking bizarre...

First off, the bizarre box experiment in NY, no clue. I thought it might be the "judy" entity of evil that maybe the govt was trying to research/catch. But we see evil doppleganger Dale involved in it. Why would a govt project have anything to do with him? Furthermore, evil dale has no idea who/what Judy is(as evidenced by the bizarre teacup phillip jeffries convo in the seedy black lodge motel). PLUS, seems clear judy is posessing sara palmer. So who knows what the fuck that thing is or why.

Second, Audrey Horn, she's in a coma. Simple. Knowing Lynch and this show, if we ever get a 4th season, im sure the reality is going to be farrrrr more bizarre and convoluted and crazy. But for now, im going with she's simply in a coma from that explosion still, dreaming weird shit. I suppose her dream about her missing son mirrors reality, which is fucking bizarre, so maybe that's a sign there's more to it. But im stickin with that for now.

Atomic bomb- I like to believe all the evil entities and everything else with the lodges have always been in existence. But, it appears the atomic bomb testing acted as a catalyst or even created a gateway to spark evil into the world. Again, id like to believe it isnt their first rodeo, but this act perhaps is what brought em into the lives of man in modern times. We see Bob orb flying from the explosion, we see woodsmen show up and wreak havoc, and that weird bug. I think that little girl is a young Sarah Palmer, and that bug is this evil judy entity Gordon Cole speaks of. It makes more sense since it appears the poem the wooodsman says over the radio puts everyone to sleep, giving this thing the opportunity to find a host. It's gotta be evil. Of course that also helps explain laura ball during all this weirdness, she was created as an agent for good, to battle evil.

Now, either the stress and depression of what happened with Sarahs fucked up family allowed this being to start wreaking havoc, or perhaps it was playing a part the whole time. Her husband was raping her daughter in the fucking house for years, surely she would have noticed or heard SOMETHING at some point, SOMETHING to grow suspicious? Perhaps the presence of this evil judy entity inside her is what kept her quiet. Who knows.

The ending- So Dale travels back to before laura was murdered and tries to take her away. I think good entities intervened at that point and that's why she dissapeared in the woods as he has her by the hand, she was prob transplanted into Odessa, TX as this other woman with no memory of her past right then and there as a means to protect her. Cooper/Diane cross over into a pseudo reality created by the good spirits in order to avoid detection by the evil, i think that was the point of all that. It was the forces of good trying to stay one step ahead, avoid detection as they worked a plan to confront the evil "judy" possessing sarah palmer. Of course the woman in the palmer home was mrs trumond, an evil spirit, seemingly trying to keep Laura/Cooper away and hide Sarah. The Palmer home then was either being used by the evil spirits or perhaps was a new location for the black lodge or gateway for it(the electricity and whatnot and power surging as Laura screams suggests something deeper was going on). So last thing we get is the scream.

Ive read lots of people theorizing that the scream was a good thing, that it served as a weapon and destroyed the evil entities in the house, freeing sarah palmer. I think it was merely laura remembering everything. I dont think Lynch was giving us any deeper closure than that. Well have to wait for a season 4, if it happens, to find out if laura/coop were successful.

Crazy shit, be interested in reading what others thought if anybody else watched it, but i mainly just wanted to get my own thoughts out here. Fucking crazy.

I fucking hope we get a 4th season. God dammit it sucks how this opened up even more questions. Half the season was goofball antics and slooooowwwwww build and then we get this massive rush of mindblowing shit that makes me salivate for more, but by that time the season is ending. Fucking frustrating. Wish they woulda sped up the dumb dougie jones stuff, get all that sorted out in 4 or 5 eps tops, and devote the rest to the deeper and more interesting mysteries of the show.

Back