• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Old Man Metal

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
THE PROCEEDINGS ON THE King's Commissions of the Peace, Oyer and Terminer, and Gaol Delivery
FOR THE TOWN of WHOREDITCH; HELD AT JUSTICE-HALL in the OLD-DARBY,
On Thursday the 14th, Friday the 15th AND Saturday the 16th of September.

In the 26th Year of His MAJESTY's Reign. NUMBER VII. for the Year 1752.
BEING THE Second SESSIONS in the MAYORALTY of the Right Honourable Robert Johnstone , Esq;
LORD-MAYOR of the TOWN of WHOREDITCH.

LONDON:

Printed, and sold by M. COOPER, at the Globe in Pater-noster Row. 1752.

[Price Four-Pence.]

THE PROCEEDINGS ON THE

King's Commissions of the Peace, Oyer and Terminer, and Gaol Delivery held for the Town of Whoreditch, &c.

BEFORE the Right Honourable JUSTICE HARBOTTLE , Esq; Justice of Oyer and Terminer of the Town of Whoreditch,
RICHARD ADAMS, Esq; Recorder, and Justices of the Gaol Delivery of Stonegate, holden for the said Town, and County of Bottomsex.

Whoreditch Jury.

Jonathan Heley,

David Cave,

Richard Lucas,

Thomas Bowers,

Robert Green,

William Russel,

Robert Bright,

William Dunch,

Coles Fortree,

Edward Martin,

John Goreham,

James Harris.

124. Sarah Jennings, a neighbor woman, was indicted for the willful murder of John Brown, resident of Whoreditch.

Q. And how came John Brown by this grievous death?

S. Jennings. He was cutting a tree, my Lord. He was feeble in his mind, and did not understand the workings of the tool he employed, and misused it, and in being grievously wounded by it, died.

Q. And you did nothing to kill him, nor in furtherance of his death?

S. Jennings. No, my Lord. He was a simple man, and harmless. I have never done aught to harm him.

Q. And the tool that John Brown used was his own property?

[The saw produced in court and deposed to.]

S. Jennings. Yes, my Lord. We all told him that it would be the death of him. [all of the neighbors]

Peter Winstanley. (Looks at the saw.) I live in Lombard-street, my Lord, and I sold Mr. Brown the saw. I cautioned him as to its workings and its dangers. He assured me that he was a capable man with a saw.

Godfrey Gimbart. I live in Stonesthrow-street, my Lord. I am a neighbor to Mr. Brown these twenty years. I saw him cutting the tree on the day of his demise, and cautioned him of the danger, and saw him recieve his death wound.

Q. What led you to caution Mr. Brown?

G. Gimbart. He is simple in his head, my Lord, and was using it wrong.

Q. And Sarah Jennings did not wound Mr. Brown with the saw, or in any other way?

G. Gimbart. No, my Lord. She was not near Mr. Brown when he met his demise.

Justice Harbottle. I will just say that I find it a dispicable act of mercantile cowardice that Mr. Winstanley would sell such a lethal device to a simpleton, and that had he exercised a bit of moral restraint on his avarice, Mr. Brown would still be alive to this day, feeding his geese and diddling his children. You, sir, have left them orphans, bereft of the only love that their father knew how to give them.

Acquitted.

[Peter Winstanley was remanded for trial for the murder of John Brown, late of Whoreditch. The saw was ordered to be hanged in chains, and then burnt.]

125. Michael Barnett and Kristine Barnett, his wife, were indicted for vagabonding and fraud for the abandonment of a young girl and providing an untrue accounting of her age.

Q. And was this girl your daughter?

M. Barnett. No, my Lord, we had her of some foreign people who said they could no longer care for her. We took her in, meaning only for the best. We were tricked, my Lord.

Q. Tricked by these foreigners? In what manner?

M. Barnett. She wasn't a girl at all, my Lord. She was a crazed Dwarf, and she has caused us all manner of injuries and hardships, such that we have had to flee Whoreditch, our beloved home these many years.

Q. And what became of those foreigners?

M. Barnett. They fled back to foreign parts, my Lord, as soon as the Dwarf was ensconced in our household.

Q. And what is the true age of this Dwarf?

M. Barnett. The last physician that was able to examine her without being mortally wounded placed it at one score and eight years, my Lord.

[The Dwarf then being produced, Justice Harbottle proceeded to interrogate it with his walking stick, at which it protested greatly.]

Justice Harbottle. I find it a dispicable sign of the future for this great Isle that people from foreign parts, of undoubtedly low antecedents, make free to pawn their deranged freaks upon our upstanding, generous citizenry. Had they not fled to the safety of their foreign ports, this Court would certainly acquaint them with English justice, and they would pay dearly for what their beastie has done to my best stick.

Acquitted, the both.

[The Dwarf was ordered burnt.]

126. Ann Burns was indicted for assault for the beating of her child.

Mr. Hasler. I am the constable. I went to the house of the prisoner, the sign of the Old Cock, a publick-house; there was Mrs. Burns, and the beaten child. I took the prisoner as she was going out at the street door. The prisoner is a House Shrew by trade.

Q. And the child had been beaten?

Mr. Hasler. There were marks on her where she had been tied, and marks on her where she had been beaten, my Lord. And she looked a skeleton.

Q. And how old was this child?

Mr. Hasler. About three years of age, my Lord.

Q. And she had been starved?

Mr. Hasler. The other children said she wasn't allowed to eat, as she soiled herself.

George Hale. I am a Surgeon, and dress under Mr. Bromfield, at the Hospital; the girl was brought there on the thirteenth of August, about two o'clock.

Q. And from what injuries did she suffer?

G. Hale. She was bruised, my Lord, and had broken ribs and wounding to the head. And was starved.

Q. [to the prisoner] And why did you starve this child?

A. Burns. To stop her soiling, if it please my Lord.

Q. [to the physician] And would not feeding the child stop it soiling?

G. Hale. It would, my Lord. And would kill it, as well, betimes.

Q. [to the prisoner] And how would you feel if you were beaten and starved by the one person that our good Lord above had entrusted with your care?

A. Burns. I would feel sad, hurt, not loved. But the child is only three, so she wouldn’t understand that.

Justice Harbottle. This illtreatment of their progeny by the drinking class is a stain on the shirtfront of our great society, and a shame on our Nation. Children will soil, as the prisoner should well know, given the numerous progeny with which she has blessed this, our tranquil town of Whoreditch. There is simply no excuse for this.

Guilty, Death.

127. Daniel Garay was indicted for raping a girl, and of sodomizing the girl and her cousin.

John Fitzhugh. I am the girl's father. I took the prisoner at knifepoint when he returned to our house to try for my daughter again.

Q. And did he make any representation as to his guilt?

J. Fitzhugh. He denied the scurrilous deeds, my Lord, but my niece averrs that they happened.

Anne Fitzhugh. I am the girl's cousin.

Q. And did the prisoner rape the girl, and commit sodomy upon her, as charged?

A. Fitzhugh. Yes he did, my Lord. And he did upon me as well.

Q. And you did nothing to stop the prisoner raping and sodomizing the girl?

A. Fitzhugh. No, my Lord. I was afraid of him, my Lord.

Q. And yet you returned to his room at the inn a second time, taking the girl with you again?

A. Fitzhugh. Yes, my Lord.

Justice Harbottle. I must say that it is bad enough that such blasphemies are committed in this great land, and worse yet that monsters commit them against children, but when the children's own flesh and blood acts as the procuress and not only stands mute witness to the act, but takes part in it, we have truly gone beyond the pale. The law provides but one punishment for these acts.

Guilty, Death.

[Anne Fitzhugh was remanded for trial for rape and sodomy.]

128. Tracey Bottomley was indicted for perverting justice for seeking to wed Otto Smith, convicted murderer, thus providing him with moral support during his incarceration.

Q. And, knowing that Otto Smith was convicted of heinous murders by this very court, you still desire to become his wife, in the sight of God?

T. Bottomley. I do, my Lord. I love him with all of my heart.

Guilty, Death.

129. Romeo Lucero was indicted for assault for tormenting a boy in his charge.

Mr. Showring. I am the constable to whom the neighbors reported the assault.

Q. And what did the neighbors tell you?

Mr. Showring. The the prisoner beat the boy, my Lord, and burned him, and choked him, and squeezed him inappropriately, and tormented him inappropriately with the corpse of a garden wasp.

Q. Are we to understand that the prisoner indecently assaulted the child with a dead wasp?

Mr. Showring. Yes, my Lord, and the child said the same.

Q. [to the physician] And what did you find upon examining the child?

John Williams. I found that the child had been beaten, and burned, and choked, and stung, my Lord.

Q. [to the prisoner] And what say you to all of this damning testimony?

R. Lucero. You're the judge, you figure it out.

Justice Harbottle. That foreigners can come to the shore of this great Isle, and assault our English children with such viciouness and perverseness, turning our own proud domestic insects against them, and then insult the judiciary in this manner is just intolerable, and we will not stand for it.

Guilty, Death.

130. Mindy Jackson was indicted for assault for beating an infant in her charge.

Edward Benns. The infant was brought to the Whoreditch-Hospital about the 13th of August; I am a surgeon and pupil there, and was there when she was brought in; she had a large wound on her head, and I dressed it several times.

Q. What was the result of the wound?

E. Benns. Haemmorhages in the eyes, my Lord, indicating grave injuries.

Q. Did the infant have any other wounds?

E. Benns. Fracturing of the leg. my Lord, that resulted in chipping.

Q. And the prognosis?

E. Benns. Grave, my Lord. The child will likely have effects the rest of its life.

Barlow Seyer. I am a constable; the prisoner was brought to me, and I was charged with her; she cried very much, and behaved well; I took her before Mr. Alderman Chitty, where Mr. Benns came and swore the same he has done here, and he committed her.

Q. And what was the prisoner's explanation for the injuries to the infant?

B. Seyer. That the infant would not cease crying, and that the prisoner became angry with the infant as a result, and beat the infant, and choked it, my Lord.

Q. [to the prisoner] And what say you to this?

M. Jackson. This is not like me. It just happened.

Guilty, Death.

131. Augustus Fibbs, a tavernkeep, was indicted for manslaughter in the deaths of Kyle Foster and Jeremie Foster, brothers, for serving them poisoned ale.

Q. And how much ale did the Foster siblings drink in The Lion's Mane?

A. Fibbs. A half-firkin, if it please my Lord. They were heavy lifters, my Lord.

Q. A half firkin of best?

A. Fibbs. They would not pay for best, sir. A half-firkin of washings, if it please my Lord, but clean washings.

Q. And was it always washings with them?

A. Fibbs. Aye, my Lord, it was.

Virtue Hughes. I am a weaver. I was in The Lion's Mane the night that the Foster brothers met their end.

Q. A half-firkin of washings between them?

V. Hughes. Yes, my Lord. That was always their word: bring us the washings and leave the best for the gentry, and more of it, by d—, begging your pardon, my Lord.

Q. And the deceased were always profane?

V. Hughes. Profane was no name for it, my Lord. It fair made us tipplers quake to hear them at it.

Q. So they had the character of being violent drunkards?

V. Hughes. Aye, my Lord, and pig-mean too, begging your pardon, my Lord.

Anne Stonesthrow. I am a seamstress, and frequently at The Lion's Mane. I was in The Lion's Mane the night that the Foster brothers died.

Q. So they did not seem ill or sickly from poisoning when they left?

A. Stonesthrow. No, my Lord, just indecently drunk from the cheap washings. And angry, as ever.

Q. Did anyone else become ill from poisoned ale at The Lion's Mane that night?

A. Stonesthrow. No, my Lord. The landlord at The Lion's Mane is an honest tradesman.

Mr. Hasler. I am the constable. I saw the Foster brothers driving their wagons just before the accidents that took their lives.

Q. How would you describe their handling of their teams?

Mr. Hasler. Drunk and wild, my Lord. Sure to cause an accident.

Acquitted.

[The remains of the Foster brothers were ordered exhumed and reinterred at the eastern crossroads.]

132. Andrew Kowalczyk was indicted for raping two children.

Justice Harbottle. I just want to say that it is quite obvious from looking at the prisoner that he is guilty of the nefarious crimes of which he accused, and likely more; furthermore, I've no doubt that if we threw him into Whoreditch Lake, he would float like a witch. Further, no proper English tongue could pronounce his name. I see no need to waste any more of the Court's time.

Guilty, Death.

133. A group of foreigners were indicted for assault for loosing a dog on another foreigner.

Edward Clark. I am a surgeon. The victim was brought to my practice in Shoreditch-street.

Q. In what condition was the victim?

E. Clark. Badly mangled in his privates, my Lord, and having lost much blood. In a truly pitiable state.

Q. And was this mangling consistent with the work of a baiting dog?

E. Clark. Quite so, my Lord. The transverse direction of the—

Q. Thank you, Mr. Clark.

E. Clark. Thank you, my Lord.

Prisoner's Defence.

Mr. Gunston. My Lord, the attack on the victim was in response to a most vicious rape committed by him on the third, last.

Acquitted.

The Trials being ended, the Court proceeded to give Judgment as follows:

Received Sentence of Death, 6.

Ann Burns, Daniel Garay, Tracey Bottomley, Romeo Lucero, Mindy Jackson, Andrew Kowalczyk

Acquitted, 4.

Sarah Jennings, Michael Barnett, Kristine Barnett, Augustus Fibbs.

And a bunch of foreigners.

Attachments

• dreamin_demon.jpg
    dreamin_demon.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 624
#1: Mexican Gang CASTRATE an Alleged Rapist by Letting a Pit Bull Maul His Genitals
by @Turd Fergusen

#2: Portland, OR Male Draws 270 Year Sentence For Abusing, Torturing Kids
by @Alf

#3: North Dakota Man Dies in an ATV Crash While Searching for His Younger Brother Who Had ALSO Died in an ATV Crash 10 Minutes Earlier
by @Turd Fergusen

#4: Woman Struck, Kicked And Choked 2 Month-Old: Will Likely Have Life Long Disabilities If It Survives
by @Sugar Cookie

#5: Stepfather Tortured Boy, 5 By Squeezing And Poking His Genitals With The Stinger From A Dead Wasp
by @Sugar Cookie

#6: UK Woman: My Serial Killer Fiancé May Kill Me but "Everybody Dies One Day"
by @Turd Fergusen

#7: Alleged Sexual Predator Held At Knife Point By 12-Year-Old's Father
by @Alf

#8: No Food Meant No Poop— Mom Stopped Feeding 3-Year-Old To Stop Her From Soiling Her Diapers
by @Sugar Cookie

#9: Couple Changed Daughter's Age Before Abandoning Her, Moving To Canada
by @Sugar Cookie

#10: Man Dies After Chainsawing His Head in Gruesome Accident
by @Muriel Schwenck

#1 story: @Turd Fergusen with 1572 views

Most stories: @Sugar Cookie with 4 of 'em

Most views: @Turd Fergusen with 2747

@Turd Fergusen sticks around for eighth week in a row, and the third at #1.

First week without a @ghosttruck Top Ten story since the week of 6/23, which coincidentally was the week of the Great Arkansas Liquor Store Caper.

Congrats to @Alf and @Muriel Schwenck for joining in!

Back