• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Illinois family is mourning the loss of their two-year-old girl who was fatally injured yesterday in a tragic accident at a local mall.

Authorities say Alexandra 'Alexa' Martinez, 2, of Harvey, Illinois, was playing with four other related children Tuesday in the shoe section of an Akira clothing store at the Orland Square Mall in the Chicago-area suburb of Orland Park, Illinois after visiting the business with her grandmother and aunt.

Video of the scene obtained by police investigators showed Alexa at some point began climbing part of a temporary store display made with two steel walls, each weighing between 75 and 100 lbs, which fell on the child and hit her head, according to Orland Park Police Chief Tim McCarthy.

Alexa was aided at the scene by an off-duty doctor and nurse, who were shopping at the mall, before she was rushed to Advocate Christ Hospital with multiple head injuries. She was later pronounced dead.

The Chicago-based Akira clothing store's Co-owner, Eric Hsueh, said his company is 'devastated by this tragic event,' and his personnel is 'working to collect all the information.'

The store's shoe department remained closed Wednesday for further inspection. The mall also offered Alexa's family its 'deepest sympathies,' the news station reported.

Police are waiting for the results of a medical examiner's report to determine Alexa's precise cause of death, according to CNN.
1567051180360.png

I remember when I was a kid if I left my parents sight or did the slightest thing to embarrass them in public it was a ass whipping when I got home. Needless to say discipline does work. I was never climbing shit because I knew the consequences would outweigh the fun. When I did get hurt it was a shake it off.

It does work though when I was 18 working in a factory my lead walked up on my 2nd day on the job and asked if I was spanked as a kid. I said yes and asked why and he said people who were spanked as children are more likely to obey, be respectful, and do their jobs. He'd noticed the correlation over the years.

Spoiled, unruly children aside, it's best if public displays are designed with potential mishaps in mind. This one was too heavy which increased the odds of injury if someone accidentally fell on it, ran into it with a mobility scooter, etc. Stores really do need to keep safety in mind since we all know shit happens on a regular basis when the public have access to something.

I agree they should have been watching the children and not allowing her to climb on store displays, BUT the display should have been anchored to the wall or shelf so that it could not fall. Being able to predict possible outcomes in any situation is a talent that doesn't exist anymore.

I see both sides. The display should have been anchored AND the girl shouldn't have been climbing on it. Unfortunately, the family will sue and get paid a ridiculous amount of money because they don't know how to be proactive parents/babysitters. Like the lady who had a slip & fall in a restaurant and got paid millions when she was the one who threw the drink on the floor. SMDH

I can hear my mom saying "This is not a jungle gym!"

We were never allowed to act up like that and now I see that there was a reason for that beyond mom not wanting us to embarrass her in public.

By the way, is it just me, or is that the most mature looking 2 year old you've ever seen? She looks like she's ready for first grade.

Spoiled, unruly children aside, it's best if public displays are designed with potential mishaps in mind. This one was too heavy which increased the odds of injury if someone accidentally fell on it, ran into it with a mobility scooter, etc. Stores really do need to keep safety in mind since we all know shit happens on a regular basis when the public have access to something.

My 6-year-old nephew was crushed to death by a granite slab in a kitchen design studio.

His parents were there choosing counters for the home they were building and a big display started to slide over. My nephew and BIL were both hit by it. My BIL had a broken leg and shattered pelvis.

My nephew was practically flattened. It was horrific.

The store was found to be at fault. The heavy displays were not properly anchored/installed. But Brandon is still dead.

I worked at TJ Maxx. People would leave their kids in the toy section like it was daycare while they went about their shopping. They seemed to be with the impression that store employees are babysitters. Their kids would play with the toys as if they were theirs and leave an enormous mess. Fuck those parents.

I didn't have eyes on my two year olds every single second of their lives. I did look away at times. Sometimes for more than a whole second. My parents also didn't stare at me my whole life. We had a few seconds here and there to get into trouble. I'll admit, sometimes I even turned around on my kids. It doesn't take ignoring your kid for them to get into stuff, sometimes, as long as it takes for you to find a quarter in your purse so they can go on a ride, is as long as it takes for them to nearly kill themselves...or actually kill themselves.

Back