• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Police in Long Beach, California, are mourning a K-9 who died apparently of heat-related causes, in a department vehicle.

The dog, Ozzy, was found by its handler when both were off duty at about 3:40 p.m. Aug. 14, the Long Beach Police Department said in a statement.

"This unfortunate incident was not intentional," the statement reads. "Preliminarily, we believe this was an accident and we are taking all the necessary steps to avoid this happening in the future."

The department said its K-9 vehicles have "fail/safe equipment that is meant to generate an alert," but it might not have been working, the statement said. The department statement said K-9 handlers are checking their heat system controllers before every shift.

A veterinarian examined Ozzy. "The preliminary results determined the cause of death to be heat related," the police statement said.

The high temperature that day in Long Beach was 89 degrees, National Weather Service records show.

Police did not identify Ozzy's handler.

"Our department is mourning Ozzy's loss as we would with any of our employees. Our K9's are an indispensable part of our department, and we will continue to view them as our partners."
1566702081349.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I know zero about safety controls for K-9s but this guy certainly did ...so wtf happened?
Post automatically merged:

Also ...why should his name be left out of the reports?

Am I reading this wrong? I read it as the "fail safe" failed, resulting in officers now checking the units before every shift. Not sticking up for the guy, just looking for clarity.

When this happens to a cop, it's just an unfortunate incident, and things will be reviewed. Poor police department lost a police dog.

Should this happen to a regular old American who had an air conditioning system in his car for his dog, and something malfunctioned and the dog died in the heat, it would be an animal welfare crime. Evil stupid owner!

Certain groups of people seem to have become separated into elite classes of people in USA, and if you're a member of that club, you can get away with nearly anything and it's all okay. You're free to make mistakes and have failures that otherwise would cause terrible legal problems for those whiny little regular-people.

Remember, if the police shoot your dog, it's just a piece of personal property. If you kill a police dog, or even just annoy one, then it's a full-fledged police officer, and totally not just a piece of property. Unless, of course, you're a police officer yourself, in which case it's just property again.

How come this can be poo poo'ed away as an accident.

They weren't on duty. That makes them civilian and dog. I just read a story here 20 minutes ago with the exact same criteria. The owner was arrested.

Right here
One rule for the Cops and another for regular old humans. I have no issue with people being charged for leaving dogs/kids/disabled people in a hot car. But fuck me if we cant make an example of the ones who do this AND are supposed to enforce the rules how can we expect them to be respected???

Latest posts

Back