• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Hat tip to ghosttruck.

[....]
Emma Rhodes said she and her daughter woke up to the smoke alarm about 6:15am.

"I saw smoke and I absolutely panicked because my three-year-old was asleep and it was so thick," Ms Rhodes said.

"You couldn't see through it at all."

Ms Rhodes grabbed her young child and fled outside, where she called triple-0.

When firefighters arrived at the home in Richardson in Canberra's south they extinguished the small blaze and found the cause — Belle the black cat.
full

"It turned out that the cat had knocked the roll of cling wrap onto the stove and stepped on the ceramic cooktop and it had turned it on," Ms Rhodes said.

Ms Rhodes said it was a touch-sensitive stovetop, which was primed to heat up when something was placed onto it.
full

[....]
But, according to Ms Rhodes, the whole tale had a silver lining with her daughter finding her dream job because of the accident.

"She got really excited when the firefighters came," Ms Rhodes said.

"But then she was even more upset because she wasn't able to ask them how to become a firefighter."

ACT Fire and Rescue said the incident served as a reminder to ensure all stove tops were locked and switched off when not in use, and to make sure all homes had working smoke alarms.

No one was injured and, in this instance, curiosity did not kill the cat.

a friend of mines dog burned her house almost to the ground. She had cookies on a paper plate on top of stove. Dog was trying to get to cookies, turned on burner and it caught fire. They got the dog out, but she ended up dying. Took over a year before they were back in their house. Crazy shit! (I no longer will leave anything on my stove). At first they thought it was an electrical fire in the wall behind the stove, but then figured out what actually went down

Back