• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A Portland man now faces felony criminal charges after police say he created a homemade bomb containing dog feces and tricked a former friend into setting it off.

Robb Alexander Stout, 48, placed the bomb into a plastic tool box and filled the box with dog feces he’d collected from his dog and dogs that had defecated around a courtyard, according to a probable-cause affidavit. He then set the toolbox up to explode upon opening, police say.

Stout admitted to police that he had set up the device because he was angry at his former friend for failing to return something of his, according to the affidavit. One of the things he and his friend had liked to do together was watch YouTube videos of people pulling pranks, Stout said.

Police contacted Stout after his former friend called them April 16 to report that someone had left the toolbox bomb on the back of his Camaro. When he opened it, “it exploded with such force that it sounded like an M80 going off and the dog scat was blown out of the toolbox,” according to the affidavit.

The man apparently wasn’t hurt, because court papers don’t describe any injuries and Stout wasn’t charged with assault.

Police who investigated determined that the toolbox contained a battery, wiring, switches and an airbag from a car.

Stout was booked into jail Thursday, but released after posting $2,000 in bail that same day.

Stout was arraigned Friday in Multniomah County Circuit Court on a felony charge of unlawfully manufacturing a destructive device. Police who searched his home say they found methamphetamine and a sawed-off shotgun -- leading to more charges of meth possession, being a felon in possession of a firearm...

Sorry but I'm calling hilarious. His prank aficionado ex-friend is a tool and a shithead. So he made him a toolbox that chucked shit at his head.

Dangerous, but apropos in the meth snortin', sawed off shotgun possessin' parts of murica.
It's certainly a lot tamer than most of the things that meth-heads do to each other, I'll give you that. And no one got hurt, which is surprising, because air bags are no joke.

A 49-year-old man who had a falling out with a friend was sentenced Tuesday to three years of probation for filling a plastic toolbox with dog feces and setting it to explode when his former friend opened it.

Robb Alexander Stout told a judge that he went to a wrecking yard, retrieved an old air bag and packed it into the tool box with dog droppings covering it.

“So when it was open, it would just blow the dog crap on him,” Stout said.
[....]
The friend wasn’t injured.

Tuesday, when Judge Edward Jones asked Stout why he did it, Stout explained that he believed his friend was holding onto some of his tools, and wasn’t going to give them back.

“I guess the right way would have been to get a police officer involved,” Stout told the judge, of his dispute over ownership. “...But you can see my history. ...I’m not psyched where I’m calling the cops, unfortunately.”

Stout has 14 previous convictions — 10 felonies and four misdemeanors — including dealing or manufacturing illegal drugs and attempting to elude police, according to court records.

“So I took it upon myself — rather than be violent, like I could have been,” Stout continued. “You know on the street, that’s the way a lot of that stuff is handled.”

Stout said he and his friend used to make similar explosive devices together “for fun” and that there’s “a thousand of these videos of people doing the same thing.” Stout said he wasn’t trying to hide the fact he made the toolbox device, and he didn’t think of it as a crime.

“It was just made to hurt his ego and give me my stuff back. Like a wake-up call,” Stout told the judge.

Jones, the judge, said that despite what Stout thought people do go to prison for building devices to explode on other people.

“We just can’t have that,” Jones said.
[....]
Stout’s former friend had arrived in the Multnomah County Circuit courtroom to listen in, but had left the room before the hearing started. He later declined comment to The Oregonian/OregonLive, in response to a request sent to him through the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office.

The prosecutor told the judge the former friend was frustrated that Stout wasn’t going to be incarcerated and that he was worried for his safety.

Stout pleaded guilty to unlawful manufacture of a destructive device.

Police who searched Stout’s home in April also found a short-barrelled shotgun and methamphetamine. Friday, Stout also pleaded guilty to related charges that included being a felon in possession of a firearm and delivery of meth, since he possessed enough of the drug to reach the threshold for that crime.

Stout told the judge that he had the shotgun for protection because he lives in a crime-ridden neighborhood in outer East Portland. He said he had the meth because he’d relapsed after losing his job and feeling like his prospects were grim. Prior to that, he had been clean for years.

“With 14 prior (convictions) on my record, I don’t look real good on the application process,” Stout said. “...Why would they pick someone with no driver’s license, terrible driving history, and 14 (convictions) to employ over somebody who doesn’t have all that stuff? I’m very employable. I’ve got a lot of skills. I just don’t look good on paper.”

The judge responded that Stout’s meth use made him an even less desirable job candidate to prospective employers.
[....]
Sentencing guidelines called for a minimum jail or prison sentence of 10 to 12 months. In agreeing to a probation sentence, Deputy District Attorney Nicole Jergovic said her office took into account that Stout had no history of convictions of violent acts against people; that a prior judge who reviewed the case was in favor of probation; and that Stout has behaved well since his arrest and release from jail four months ago.

With the exception of a 2015 conviction for attempting to elude police, his most recent conviction was more than a decade old.

Defense attorney Peyton Lee said Stout is motivated to stay on the right track because of his 11-year-old daughter, who lives with him. Stout also said he was ultimately able to find a new job — fixing RVs. He said he starts Wednesday.

As part of Stout’s sentence, he must follow all orders from his probation officer — including completing drug treatment, refraining from handling any explosive devices or fireworks and staying away from his former friend.

Back