• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

DingDang

*Fiercest Calm*
Shanda Renee Sharer was 12 years old when she was tortured and brutally murdered by Melinda Loveless, Laurie Tackett, Hope Rippey, and Toni Lawrence.

150px-ShandaSharer2.jpg

The motive for Shanda's murder was jealousy. Melinda Loveless was infuriated that her ex-girlfriend, 14 year old Amanda Hearvin, had been dating Shanda. Loveless saw Shanda as the source of all her problems, and wanted to be rid of her, once and for all.

The following excerpts are from David Lohr's article Death of Innocence - The Murder of Young Shanda Sharer.

The Plan

By the night of Friday, Jan. 10, 1992, Melinda Loveless had reached her boiling point. Her girlfriend, 14-year-old Amanda Heavrin, had been cheating on her with Shanda, and she was fed up. It was now time for her to show them just how serious she was. Laurie Tackett was coming over, and Loveless knew that she would be more than happy to help her put a plan into action. Loveless had always thought Tackett was strange, because she dabbled in the occult and claimed to have another personality that was a vampire; but she was, after all, a devoted friend and had often talked about killing someone for the fun of it.

Tackett picked up two of her friends on the way to Loveless' house, 15-year-olds Hope Rippey and Toni Lawrence. Lawrence had never met Loveless before, and Rippey had met her only once or twice herself. When the girls arrived at Loveless', they all went upstairs and began chitchatting about what the night had in store. All of them had lied to their parents earlier that day, telling them they were spending the night at a friend's house. As the girls sat around talking, Loveless pulled a large kitchen knife out of her purse and said she was going to use it to scare someone. She then told Rippey and Lawrence about the problems she had been having with Shanda Sharer.

Loveless obtained Sharer's address, and before long the girls were en route to her house. They had a difficult time locating it, but after asking directions a few times they eventually found it and parked half a block away. Since Rippey and Lawrence had never met Sharer, Loveless instructed them to go to the door, claiming to be friends of Amanda Heavrin. Loveless wanted the girls to lure Sharer out to the car. When the girls knocked on the door, Sharer answered. Lawrence and Rippey explained to her that they were friends of Heavrin, and that she was waiting for her at a deserted stone building in the woods called the Witches' Castle. Sharer said she could not go then because her parents were up, but told them she would sneak out around midnight if they wanted to come back. Lawrence and Rippey agreed and headed back to the car. Loveless was angry that Sharer was not with them, but she calmed down when they told her about Sharer's plan. Since they had time to kill, the girls decided to go to a concert at a nearby state park.

Abduction

It was after 12:30 a.m. by the time the girls made their way back to Sharer's house. Lawrence did not want to go back up to the door, so Rippey and Tackett agreed to go. Loveless was the only one of the bunch that Sharer knew, so she hid in the back seat under a blanket. Sharer was waiting at a side door when Tackett and Rippey walked up. They explained that Heavrin was still waiting for her and that she had sent them back to pick her up. Sharer was hesitant at first, but Rippey was able to convince her to go, and soon they were all getting into Tackett's car. Lawrence slid out of the front passenger seat so that Sharer could sit in the middle, and they were on their way. Tackett explained to Sharer that the Witches' Castle was a short drive away in Utica, and that it used to be the home of nine witches who controlled the town. As they drove to the castle, Rippey asked Sharer questions about Heavrin and their relationship. Sharer said that they had been going out for quite a while and that she really cared about her. Suddenly, Loveless popped her head from the backseat, grabbed Sharer by the hair and placed the knife to her throat. Sharer cried and begged Loveless not to hurt her, but for the remainder of the ride Loveless berated her and repeatedly referred to her as a "bitch," all the while holding the knife tightly against her throat.

Sharer was sobbing uncontrollably by the time they reached the Witches' Castle. Loveless and Tackett pulled her out of the car and held her arms tightly as Rippey and Lawrence illuminated the trail to the castle with lighters. Once inside, Loveless tied Sharer's hands as Rippey taunted her with the knife. Loveless then took several pieces of Sharer's jewelry, which she and Lawrence put on. Rippey decided she liked a musical Mickey Mouse watch Sharer was wearing, so she took it for herself.

It was dark in the castle, so Tackett took an old t-shirt and started a fire. As the flames grew, Tackett pointed at the fire and told Sharer that that was what she was going to look like before the night was over. Sharer was so frightened that she could not even speak; she just sobbed uncontrollably. Tackett was growing nervous as several cars drove by the castle and suggested they leave and go to another place by her house, so the girls dragged Sharer back to the car and drove off with their prisoner.

When the girls stopped at a Five Star station, Sharer was stuffed behind the back seat and covered with a blanket as Loveless stood guard. Tackett pumped gas while Rippey went inside to pay, and Lawrence made a phone call to a friend. During the conversation, Lawrence mentioned nothing of Sharer being held captive. For someone who later claimed to be very distraught over the night's events, she made no attempt to seek help. As soon as Lawrence hung up the phone, the group hit the road again.

Assault

It took nearly an hour for the girls to reach Madison. Tackett pointed out her house, and a few miles later they pulled onto an old logging road and stopped. Rippey and Lawrence got out of the car and Loveless and Tackett yanked Sharer from the back seat. Loveless untied Sharer's hands and ordered her to remove her clothes. It was bitterly cold, so Rippey and Lawrence got back in the car and took up positions next to the window to watch what happened. Sharer stripped down to her panties as Loveless threatened her with the knife. Loveless then scooped up the clothes and threw them in the car, telling the others that she wanted them as souvenirs. Rippey picked up Sharer's polka-dot bra and put it on as Lawrence turned on the radio.

Tackett grabbed both of Sharer's hands and held them behind her back so that Loveless could hit her. Sharer begged them to let her go and swore to stay away from Heavrin, but each plea was answered by Loveless' command for her to shut up. Suddenly, Loveless punched Sharer as hard as she could in the stomach, and Sharer collapsed to the ground. Through gasping breaths, Sharer begged them to stop hurting her. Sharer's cries fell upon deaf ears; Loveless picked her up by the hair and repeatedly slammed Sharer's head into Loveless' knee. The multiple blows caused Sharer's braces to cut into her lips, and blood flowed from her mouth.

As Sharer lay on the ground moaning, Loveless pulled out the knife and tried to cut her throat, but it proved too dull to cut the skin. Rippey then jumped out of the car to help hold Sharer down as Loveless tried using her foot to force the knife, but again it failed to have any effect. Unable to slit Sharer's throat, Loveless and Tackett took turns stabbing her in the chest with the knife. The wounds were not severe enough to cause immediate death, so Tackett decided that they would have to strangle Sharer and ran back to the car for a length of rope. Sharer continued to beg for her life, but Loveless simply laughed in her face. When Tackett returned with the rope, Loveless sat on Sharer's legs as Tackett straddled her chest. Tackett then wrapped the rope around Sharer's neck and pulled with all her might until Sharer's body went limp. Uncertain if Sharer was really dead, the girls tossed her body into the trunk and headed for Tackett's house.

Dead?

When the group got to Tackett's house, the girls went upstairs to her room, and Tackett pulled out some stones and tried reading their future. Just as Tackett said that their futures looked good, her dog began barking. When the girls listened out the window, they could hear Sharer's muffled screams. Tackett ran into the kitchen, grabbed a paring knife, and ran outside. She threw open the trunk and without warning stabbed Sharer multiple times, hoping to silence her. Finishing, Tackett closed the trunk and returned to her room, where the others were waiting. She was covered in blood. After a brief pause, Tackett announced that they needed to go for a ride. Rippey and Lawrence refused, so Loveless and Tackett left by themselves.

As Loveless and Tackett drove around, deciding what to do next, they stopped to see whether Sharer was dead. When the trunk lid opened, Sharer sat up, covered in blood with her eyes rolled back in her head. She tried to speak, but was only able to utter the word, "mommy." Tackett then reached into the trunk, picked up a tire iron, and struck Sharer on the head. She then closed the trunk and they were on their way again.

A short time later, as they traveled down winding back roads, they heard gurgling noises coming from the trunk. Tackett quickly pulled the car over to the side of the road to assess the situation. Loveless stayed inside while Tackett walked to the rear of the car and opened the trunk. Sharer was lying on her side. She looked as though she had been painted red and strange gasping and gurgling noises were emanating from her chest wounds. Tackett grasped the tire iron again and brought it down hard on Sharer's head several times. One of the blows was so severe that a chunk of Sharer's skull broke off. Satisfied with her handiwork, Tackett shut the trunk and walked back to the front of the car. When she got inside, she placed the end of the tire iron under her nose and smelled it. She began laughing as she explained what had happened and waved the tire iron under Loveless' nose.

The sun was starting to rise, so they decided to head back to Tackett's to burn Sharer's body. Along the way, they stopped several times to try to quiet Sharer with the tire iron. Back at Tackett's, the two girls woke up Rippey and Lawrence and bragged about the blows they had inflicted upon Sharer. Afterward, they explained their new plan, and Rippey and Lawrence followed them to Tackett's burn pile.

The End of Shanda

The girls quickly discovered that their plan would not work. The burn pile was covered in frost, and they did not have any gasoline to start a fire. Instead, Tackett decided to show Rippey her handiwork. Lawrence did not want to look at the body so she was told to start the car and rev the engine if Sharer started to scream. When Tackett opened the trunk, Rippey noticed a bottle of Windex next to Sharer, so she picked it up and began spraying Sharer with the cleaning liquid. As the Windex fizzled in her wounds, Sharer somehow managed the strength to sit up. Her body was covered in blood, and her eyes were pure white. Sharer began swaying back and forth as Tackett talked to her, but she said nothing in response. At some point about this time, the evidence suggests the girls sodomized Sharer with the tire iron; however none of them has ever admitted any knowledge of the wounds inflicted to her anal cavity. Tackett's mother ther, causing Tackett to slam the trunk down on Sharer's head.

Once Tackett returned from the house the girls decided it was time to end Sharer's life once and for all.

As the girls drove down the road, they again concluded that the best way to get rid of Sharer was to burn her. Tackett pulled into a Clark Oil station north of Madison to fill up the gas tank and asked Lawrence to buy a two-liter bottle of soda to fill with gas. Finishing their business at the gas station, the girls then drove out to Lemon Road. Rippey was familiar with the area and suggested that it would be a good spot to get rid of Sharer.

When they spotted an old logging road they turned in and stopped the car. Tackett opened the trunk, and Loveless and Rippey helped her pick up Sharer with the blanket with which they had covered her earlier. Lawrence chose not to help and sat in the car watching as they carried Sharer several feet behind the car before laying her on the ground. Rippey took the bottle of gasoline and poured a significant amount on Sharer; then Tackett struck a match and threw it down on Sharer's gas-soaked body. The gasoline instantly ignited, and the fire appeared to be burning well. The girls hopped back into the car and began to pull away when Loveless became nervous and told Tackett to turn around. She wanted to make sure the body was burning. Back at the scene, Loveless grabbed the bottle with the remaining gasoline and ran over to Sharer's body. She stood staring momentarily as Sharer curled up into a fetal position and her tongue darted in and out of her mouth. After she felt she had seen enough, she poured the remaining gasoline on Sharer's smoldering corpse and ran back to the car. Loveless thought Sharer's death throes were funny and described them to the others.

Sharer was finally out of Loveless' life for good. Tackett had seemed to enjoy herself during the crime, and Rippey and Lawrence must not have been too shaken up, because they had had several opportunities during the night to summon help for Sharer, but they had chosen not to. All of their exertions had tired them, so they stopped at a McDonald's on their way back. During breakfast, Tackett and Loveless joked several times about the resemblance of the sausages they were eating to Sharer. Afterwards, Tackett drove Rippey and Lawrence to their homes and went with Loveless to her house. They had decided earlier that Tackett would sleep over, but first they wanted to make some calls and brag about what they had just done.

I remember being riveted by this story. I read everything on it. I will still stop and watch or read when I see it mentioned.....as evidenced by how quick I jumped on this post :p

Horrible story, almost unbelievable. She was a year older than me...

Last edited:
I remember reading his write-up when he was with crime library. It's chilling that those girls were so..just...inhumane? Is that the right word? That even the ones who claimed to 'wanted to help but were afraid to' didn't stop a human being from being brutalized and bludgeoned not once but twice (when she was heard in the trunk)
Didn't the main chick get out recently, or was she just up on parole?
Talk about a Karla.

Yeah that's what tore me up the most as well. it's obvious she was dying at that point, that's the last thing she said.
I'm not sure how (or if) her mom got around that part of it all.
Damn, our gender can be all sorts of evil.

When I was in the 7th grade (94-95), a friend lent me Little Lost Angel by Michael Quinlin. I couldn't put it down. The fact that all these girls were in my age group was mind boggling to me. Shanda's story is what got me started reading true crime.

As far as I know, Tackett and Loveless are still incarcerated. Rippey and Lawrence have been released.

Here are some links for further reading:

Justice for Shanda Sharer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer
Death of Innocence - The Murder of Young Shanda Sharer

Maybe I should make my 13 year old niece read this and think very carefully about some of her friendships. I think she'd come to me if someone tried to talk her into doing something like this, but I still worry.

This is one of the stories that has stuck stubbornly with me ever since I first read about it. Absolutely horrifying, and yet I was transfixed on the prospect of humans being so fucking inhumane. The seemingly endless, cold, vicious brutality this girl suffered boggles the mind.

Cases like this are what really interest me in human psychology. How the hell does a mind go so incredibly wrong as to be capable of such sick shit? These girls weren't just bitches or bullies, they were vile.

'Cruel Sacrifices' is another book about this case, written by Aphrodite Jones. I read it when I was in highschool and it disturbed me so much, I wished I had never read it. I couldn't get the images of Shanda's final moments out of my head. This case has haunted me ever since.

It's a crime that you don't want to know about, but you should know about. In the end, I don't believe that justice was served- none of those girls should have gotten deals- each one was as guilty as the next. The fact that they all went to eat breakfast while Shanda's body lay smoldering- heartless!

I hope they are all haunted by those memories for the rest of their lives. I still pray for Shanda and her family often. Rest peacefully Shanda. :pray:

When I was in the 7th grade (94-95), a friend lent me Little Lost Angel by Michael Quinlin. I couldn't put it down. The fact that all these girls were in my age group was mind boggling to me. Shanda's story is what got me started reading true crime.

As far as I know, Tackett and Loveless are still incarcerated. Rippey and Lawrence have been released.

Here are some links for further reading:

Justice for Shanda Sharer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer
Death of Innocence - The Murder of Young Shanda Sharer

I don't know what book I read. But that book started me on true crime as well. I am trying to remember when I read it. I thought it was when I was in detention as a teen, but I don't know if there was a book out then. I'm certain it did not conclude with their punishments so maybe. But I remember wondering why this was an available book in juvie jail.

I just read the tru tv crime library which was more graphic. I didn't know about Lawrence taking a plea to be the star witness against the others.

For anyone who is as interested in this case as I am:

Tomorrow (May 20th) Dr. Phil is doing a show about Shanda's case called "In Cold Blood; A Daughter's Murder"

I guess Shanda's mother and sister are going to confront one of Shanda's murderers, for the first time.
It didn't specify which murderer, but it has to be either Tony Lawrence or Hope Rippy- the other 2 are still in prison I'm pretty sure.
It sounds really interesting- I will definatly be watching!

Here is a summary of tomorrow's show from the Dr. Phil website

Friday - May 20, 2011

3bcb224ef0d46557bc483603a494f05d.jpg

In Cold Blood: A Daughter's Brutal Murder

A sleepy Indiana town awoke one chilly Saturday morning in the winter of 1992 to discover the lifeless body of 12-year-old Shanda Sharer in an open field. She had been stabbed, strangled, beaten and burned alive. Who committed such a vicious and heinous crime on a child? As authorities hunted for the killer, a far more terrifying truth emerged in this picturesque Midwestern town and by day’s end, police had arrested four teenage girls -- three of whom had never met the victim until the day they abducted, kidnapped, tortured and lit her on fire. The story has captivated news headlines for 20 years, but for the first time on national television, Shanda’s grief-stricken mother, Jacque, and sister, Paije, share their story. Who was Shanda in life? How have they coped with her death? What do they think of the now grown women convicted of her murder? And could they ever forgive them? Plus, don’t miss the heart-wrenching confrontation Monday, when Jacque and Paije sit down with one of the four murderers since released from prison.

http://drphil.com/shows/

Last edited:
I was pregnant with my first child when this story emerged. I recall crying my eyes out when I heard that her last words were "mommy". Gosh, that still hurts to know she cried for her mommy before dying. I hate those 3 cunts. I really do.

1st time reading anything about this case, it is so disgusting how easy a person will jump on a band wagon. How could they be so heartless and evil? definatly want to read more on the case...such as how they were caught.

I just saw the commercial but I don't know which girl it was. Not Lawrence. I was going to watch it but on the preview they are all sitting there and dr p says what were her last words? We all know the heartbreaking cry for mommy, but for dr p to do that in front of her mom and sister was just too disgraceful for me to watch. I can already feel my heart hurt for them in that moment :(

This is the first time I can recall hearing about this case. I was 12 also when she died. This is a crazy story. She was a strong girl. All that she endured that night, and it took setting her on fire to finally kill her. She had to have been in agonizing pain. Poor girl.

Monday May 23 is the Part 2 with that bitch Hope thats trying to look all misunderstood
She belongs under the prison not even inside of it
This was one of the first crime stories I looked up and read everything about few years ago

Last edited:
Dr. Phil- Part 2 "A Daughter's Brutal Murder" - Shanda's Mother & Sister Confront 1 Of Her Killers-Hope Rippey

http://drphil.com/shows/show/1660/
Hope Rippey was just as pathetic as I knew she would be- you would think after almost 20 years she would have come up with SOMETHING to say to Shanda's family other than "I don't know why I did it" and "Sorry"! Not like she could have said anything that would make a difference to Shanda's family anyway, their loss is so great.

I have to commend Shanda's mom and sister, Jaque & Paije- they sat right across from that monster (Hope, not Dr. Phil-lol ) and they managed to keep their composure and not strangle her pathetic ass.

And how HORRIBLE was Amanda Heavrin?! OMG! She actually had the BALLS to sit their and complain that nobody cares about HER loss- she lost her spot on the basketball team due to her involvement in Shanda's murder! I believe that Jaque is absolutly correct when she says that Amanda was complicit to this crime and should have also been punished for it- ya know, more than being kicked off the basketball team!!!

I just pray that the Sharer family will remain strong and find some peace and closure, if that is possible.

Here's a link to info on the show and some extra/behind the scenes stuff:

This is the first time I can recall hearing about this case. I was 12 also when she died. This is a crazy story. She was a strong girl. All that she endured that night, and it took setting her on fire to finally kill her. She had to have been in agonizing pain. Poor girl.

I was also 12 when Shanda was murdered- and now I have a daughter who is almost 12!

The brutality of this murder paired with the ages of the girls involved made this case so unbelievable- and totally sensationalized by the media (the whole idea of a 'teen lesbian triangle' gets the vultures circling, sometimes losing respect for the victim in the frenzie).

There is a great website called "Justice For Shanda Sharer" that has lots of background info and pictures and is presented in a very kind, respectful way.

Last edited:
Dr. Phil- Part 2 "A Daughter's Brutal Murder" - Shanda's Mother & Sister Confront 1 Of Her Killers-Hope Rippey

Hope Rippey was just as pathetic as I knew she would be- you would think after almost 20 years she would have come up with SOMETHING to say to Shanda's family other than "I don't know why I did it" and "Sorry"! Not like she could have said anything that would make a difference to Shanda's family anyway, their loss is so great.

I have to commend Shanda's mom and sister, Jaque & Paije- they sat right across from that monster (Hope, not Dr. Phil-lol ) and they managed to keep their composure and not strangle her pathetic ass.

And how HORRIBLE was Amanda Heavrin?! OMG! She actually had the BALLS to sit their and complain that nobody cares about HER loss- she lost her spot on the basketball team due to her involvement in Shanda's murder! I believe that Jaque is absolutly correct when she says that Amanda was complicit to this crime and should have also been punished for it- ya know, more than being kicked off the basketball team!!!

I just pray that the Sharer family will remain strong and find some peace and closure, if that is possible.

Here's a link to info on the show and some extra/behind the scenes stuff:

thanks I forgot and almost missed it

This story was one of the first true crime things I read. I still find it hard to believe how people can go from human to totally inhuman in very little time. All because of a teenaged girlfriend who was cheating. Unbelievable!

I cannot see how anyone would ever have any sympathy for any of these bitches. They knew from the first moment what they were doing and what they were doing....... and WHY they were doing it.

I hope that Shanda's family has been able to find some kind of peace. I don't know if I could have faced one of my daughter's murderers and not have killed her right there. I just couldn't.

RIP Shanda, after all this, you deserve peace and so much more.

We are filming a documentary titled "Charlie's Scars" and it closely intersects with Melinda Loveless and Jacque Vaught, who both allowed us to interview them for the documentary. I think everyone will be amazed by the outcome. If you're interested in seeing the documentary you can check out the status at http://www.charliesscars.com.

This is the first I've heard of Amanda other than as the girl-friend whose philandering it was all about. Why would she necessarily have known about Loveless' plans?

This is the first I've heard of Amanda other than as the girl-friend whose philandering it was all about. Why would she necessarily have known about Loveless' plans?

She didn't know about the plans. Shanda's mom blames Amanda for the murder because she feels that Amanda molested Shanda (Amanda was 14 and Shanda was 12). Amanda disagreed and said Shanda came onto her and that Shanda had been dating boys older than herself before she was in the picture. I don't think it was horrible of her to say she felt a loss, she cared about Shanda and she lost her, why wouldn't she talk about that?

Last edited:
'Cruel Sacrifices' is another book about this case, written by Aphrodite Jones. I read it when I was in highschool and it disturbed me so much, I wished I had never read it. I couldn't get the images of Shanda's final moments out of my head. This case has haunted me ever since.

It's a crime that you don't want to know about, but you should know about. In the end, I don't believe that justice was served- none of those girls should have gotten deals- each one was as guilty as the next. The fact that they all went to eat breakfast while Shanda's body lay smoldering- heartless!

I hope they are all haunted by those memories for the rest of their lives. I still pray for Shanda and her family often. Rest peacefully Shanda. :pray:
I don't think any of them have consciences personally, I can remember reading about this a few years after it happened I think. I felt that 2 deserved the death penalty and the two that testified against them should have just been given life without parole

Back