• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The men who gang raped and murdered a beauty queen in a crime that shocked Australia have cost taxpayers upwards of $17million as they rot in jail.

Anita Cobby, 26, was walking home late at night in Blacktown, Sydney's west, when she was abducted by five men in 1986.

The beauty queen and nurse was tortured, raped and beaten before being dumped in a paddock where she was found with her throat so severely damaged she was almost decapitated.

Five men - Leslie Murphy, 22, Gary Murphy, 28, Michael Murphy, 33, Michael Murdoch, 19, and John Travers, 18 - were convicted of her murder and sentenced to life in prison.

To hold a criminal at a maximum security prison, it costs $108,000 per person, per year.

In the 32 years since their conviction, the five inmates would have cost taxpayers $17.28million when taking into account inflation, according to Seven News.

Gary Murphy's solicitor Leigh Johnson said the case was horrible and acknowledged the hefty cost of keeping the criminals behind bars.

'It certainly is a great cost to the taxpayer. I mean, I've never seen it before, they're never going to be released but it looks like they're holding to that,' she said.

The crime was so horrific there was widespread public outcry and calls to hang the five men.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-queen-cost-taxpayers-17MILLION-rot-bars.html

Disgusting civilized societies refuse to do right by crime victims and put parasites like these to the sword, and without wasting millions of dollars to do so.

Put them in nooses. Tie the ropes to trailer hitches then go on a cross country tour.
Zoom Zoom

Well, as I don't believe that Australia has any kind of death penalty, upwards of at least $17 million and counting... If it were up to me? Less than a buck a bullet. And in clear cut cases like this, to hell with appeals and such. ;)

But that’s not the way modern justice works. And for good reason.

The cost of having the death penalty far far exceeds locking them up.

Most of that was in just. I know that it doesn't work that way. I was kidding, because Australia not America, no death penalty. But in clear cut cases regarding something as heinous as this? I'm not going to lie, you deserve a bullet.

It would be nice if we could do that, but then I am of the mind that death is an escape and I prefer them to live a long life locked up.

One of the men who raped and murdered Anita Cobby in a horrific crime that shocked Australia has died of liver cancer.

Michael Murphy, 65, was convicted along with four other men - including two of his brothers - for the vicious killing of the beauty queen and nurse in 1986.

Ms Cobby's widower John was delighted with the news.

'I hope it was painful for him,' he told The Daily Telegraph.

'One down, four to go.'

Murphy had been in an out of hospital and was recently asked if he would apologise to Ms Cobby's family.

He was remorseless until the end.

'Why would I fking apologise to anyone while you b****s leave me in this f**king [hospital] room and treat me like this?' he barked.

full

Michael Murphy, one of the five men who brutally raped and murdered Sydney nurse Anita Cobby in the 1980s, has died in prison after a long battle with cancer.

Corrective Services NSW confirmed to news.com.au that Murphy had died in palliative care last night, at the age of 66.

He had been suffering from liver cancer before his death, spending time between his prison cell at Long Bay jail and Prince of Wales Hospital in his final months.

“The Corrective Services Investigation Unit, which is part of the NSW Police Force, is investigating and will prepare a report on the death,” a Corrective Services NSW spokeswoman said.

“All deaths in custody are subject to a coronial inquest, including deaths resulting from natural causes.”

The spokeswoman confirmed Murphy had died in Long Bay jail hospital just before midnight yesterday.

Ms Cobby’s widower John was elated Murphy had died, telling The Daily Telegraph: “One down, four to go”.

“I hope it was painful for him,” he told the publication.

Murphy was the oldest of the five men who abducted, raped and murdered Ms Cobby as she walked home from a nursing shift in western Sydney in 1986.

One of the men jailed for life over the 1986 murder of Anita Cobby has suffered severe injuries after being bashed in Sydney's Long Bay jail.

Gary Murphy was attacked by multiple people in a shower block area, A Current Affair has confirmed.
He sustained severe head and facial injuries.

He was in severe shock when he was medically attended to, but was still conscious.

Back