• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The Lord of the Rings series has been branded 'racist' by a science fiction writer who claims orcs are discriminated against and written as inferior.

American author Andy Duncan said British author JRR Tolkien depicted evil creatures such as orcs as 'worse than others' and said this had 'dire consequences for society'.

The criticism comes despite Tolkien being known as a fierce critic of racism, particularly the Nazi Germany regime in the 1930s and 40s.

But Duncan told podcast Geek's Guide to the Galaxy, run by Wired Magazine: 'It's hard to miss the repeated notion in Tolkien that some races are just worse than others, or that some peoples are just worse than others.

'And this seems to me - in the long term, if you embrace this too much - it has dire consequences for yourself and for society.'

In the novels, orcs are ugly, cannibalistic creatures who have a thirst for murder and are used as soldiers by their evil 'dark lord' Sauron.

Speaking about this story to the podcast, he added: 'I can easily imagine that a lot of these people that were doing the dark lord's bidding were doing so out of simple self preservation and so forth.

'A lot of these creatures that were raised out of the earth had not a great deal of choice in the matter of what to do. I have this very complicated sense of the politics of all that.'

Duncan also compared the depiction of the orcs to modern day refugees and appeared to criticise President Donald Trump over the situation at the Mexican border.

He added: 'It is easier to demonise one's opponents than to try to understand them and to understand the complex forces that are leading to, for example, refugees trying to cross the southern border [of the US] legally or illegally.

'It's easier to build walls and demonise them as "scum".'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-writer-claims-Lord-Rings-series-racist.html

Oh brother just some a****** not even known whatever the f*** he is trying to stir up some controversy and get his name out there.
I hear Star Trek is pretty bigoted too because of Klingons and how they treat them.
Seriously stuff like this just jerks the crap out of me.
Trying to stir up controversy where none exists.

Oh brother just some a****** not even known whatever the f*** he is trying to stir up some controversy and get his name out there.
I hear Star Trek is pretty bigoted too because of Klingons and how they treat them.
Seriously stuff like this just jerks the crap out of me.
Trying to stir up controversy where none exists.
Yell me about it...and what about One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, I always suspected Dr. Seuss as a bigot

It won't be long before just teaching people about racism is gonna be too racist.

"In the novels, orcs are ugly, cannibalistic creatures who have a thirst for murder and are used as soldiers by their evil 'dark lord' Sauron."
Maybe Im shallow but they are ugly.

Yell me about it...and what about One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, I always suspected Dr. Seuss as a bigot
There is some SJW professor who said Seuss was racist. Based on his early career during WW2 when he drew editorial and propaganda cartoons with the usual Japanese caricatures.

Latest posts

Back