• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Edwina Gein

Pinko Satanist Snowflake
I'm here to talk about another anime!

The Junji Ito Collection is a horror anthology based on the work of one of the best (and my personal favorite) mangaka named... Junji Ito. His popular works include Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki; all of which have been collected and translated into beautiful volumes by Viz but The Enigma of Amigara Fault, a bonus story at the end of Gyo, is probably his most well-known online. Feel free to read it here! He also worked on PT, the demo for Silent Hills, directed by Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame and Guillermo del Toro

But enough about its creator, what of the anime? Released just this month, The Junji Ito Collection focuses on short stories from Ito's Masterpiece and Fragments of Horror series. Long time fans will recognize reoccurring characters from the first 2 episodes: Souichi Tsujii, an odd boy with equally odd habits like cursing people and sucking on nails, and Miss Fuchi, a less-than-conventional-looking fashion model. Each episode is capped off by a shorter story like Hellish Doll Funeral or Long Dreams

tumblr_p23e1iSIgm1ro3oueo3_500.gif

I have a few issues with it, mostly what they chose to adapt (Uzumaki would've been a better choice) and the quality of the animation vs Ito's illustrations but all in all there's no other anime like it right now... except maybe Yami Shibai, another horror anthology focusing on Japanese ghost stories

tumblr_p2gg5zu7u01ro3oueo1_540.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back