• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Interested in a monthly book club?

• Total voters

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
We used to have this a loooooooong time ago, and was curious if anyone wanted to try doing another book club. This should be a lot easier as back in the day, e-readers were not the norm. But basically, we pick a book to read for a particular month and discuss it.

If anyone's interested, let me know via the poll and we can get into the details. If not, meh.

I'll read a book as long as it's not shitty. Or I gotta give my shitty book review in front of the rest of the DD class.

I'd love to on the condition the books are available in paper/hard cover as well. I am greatly opposed to e-readers and refuse to ever own one.

I do amazon prime and can get anything in 2 days and thats just as good as a kindle.

You can ignore the vote for fuck off, I just like saying fuck off.:D

Last edited:
I'd love to on the condition the books are available in paper/hard cover as well. I am greatly opposed to e-readers and refuse to ever own one.

I do amazon prime and can get anything in 2 days and thats just as good as a kindle.

You can ignore the vote for fuck off, I just like saying fuck off.:D

Why in the world would you be opposed to e-readers? The damn things are responsible for the large jump in reading in America. And thank Cthulhu for that. I can't promise they will all be paperback\hardcover (independent authors don't have physical books in a lot of cases), but we will definitely try to stick to books that are available in a variety of formats.

Im a bibliophile and always have been, my spare room is floor to ceiling bookshelves. E readers are blasphemy.

Though I will say, my younger boy refused to read for pleasure until he got a kindle, which makes no sense, but there you have it.

I'm a book whore, I love to read and @starry1 my kids are the same way, my 8 yr old hates physical books but loves to read on the Kindle.
I have 2 reader apps on my phone, well 3 if you count Goodreads app. ;)

Im a bibliophile and always have been, my spare room is floor to ceiling bookshelves. E readers are blasphemy.

Though I will say, my younger boy refused to read for pleasure until he got a kindle, which makes no sense, but there you have it.

Hey, I get it. I love my vinyl and still buy them to this day. But that doesn't stop me from listening to MP3s. :) If you love reading as much as it seems, I'm surprised you aren't behind any technology that is fostering it. E-readers are far from blasphemy, though - they are getting kids back into reading and that makes me extremely happy.

I'm with @starry1 on this one. There is a lot missing in the electronic version of a great novel. Lets take a look at Sanctuary by W. Faulkner:
Paper version:
"Sometimes during the day he would lean there, singing alone then, though after a while one or two ragamuffin boys or negroes with delivery baskets like as not, would halt at the fence, and the white men sitting in tilted chairs along the oil foul wall of the garage across the street would listen above their steady jaws".
Here you are compelled to continue reading. What is going on? You want to know more! The paper version seduces you, lures you into the writer's world. Just with these few lines you know you are in the presence of a master work. Genius!

Now, let's take a look to the Electronic version:
"Sometimes during the day he would lean there, singing alone then, though after a while one or two ragamuffin boys or negroes with delivery baskets like as not, would halt at the fence, and the white men sitting in tilted chairs along the oil foul wall of the garage across the street would listen above their steady jaws".

Did you notice? the electronic version is dull, cold. There's nothing more to it. That's it. Where is the invitation to read? You are completely disgusted at the total unpolitical correctness of the electronic version...

Burn the Kindle! Burn all the electronic readers!...

I have always been of the opinion that whatever it was, if it had words on it, I would read it, just as thirstily as a real, genuine, dyed in the wool book, if the author can put together words in such a way I am compelled to continue to read because I simply have to know what's on the next page, then to me it doesn't matter what I'm reading it from. I have read on every form of media that has words printed on it, and I have enjoyed it just as much.

I have read bread bags, toilet paper wrappers, and medicine bottles, it doesn't matter, it was words and they still have their meanings just the same as if I were reading a book. I love my kindle simply because I have at disposal hundreds of books and can take my pick, whatever reading mood I'm in.

I read your post @SpQa, and I don't know if you're testing me or what, but I read both in my best, standing before the class voice, as if I were a teacher and quite frankly, I see no difference in the words, the only difference would be in MY attitude, and MY attitude is that both quotes were words that deserved my attention to read them to the best of ability and enjoy them.

But, to each his own!

*begins chest compressions*

Breathe dammit...breathe!!!

I this is old but I would love to have a book club. I have a Kindle or I will buy the physical book.
[doublepost=1456298498,1456298152][/doublepost]I just saw the other threads. Ignore my initial post. I'm an idiot.

*begins chest compressions*

Breathe dammit...breathe!!!

I this is old but I would love to have a book club. I have a Kindle or I will buy the physical book.
[doublepost=1456298498,1456298152][/doublepost]I just saw the other threads. Ignore my initial post. I'm an idiot.

No need to apologize. As usual, the book club thing fell through. Would love to get it cranked back up, though.

No need to apologize. As usual, the book club thing fell through. Would love to get it cranked back up, though.

Maybe if we build it they will come. It's the perfect time to pick a book for March 1st and I'm reading about 2 books a week as of now so I'm always looking for something to read.

You should list some books and we'll decide what to read for March 1st and go from there.

I'll be the first member of the He-Man Author Haters Club or whatever the name will be. LOL!
[doublepost=1456316899,1456316849][/doublepost]I have Kindle Unlimited and I'm a prime member so this should be easy.

Back