• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Canton teenager has entered the juvenile equivalent of a not guilty plea to an aggravated murder charge, after being accused of shooting and killing a 14-year-old girl.

The body of Sylvia McGee was found in an alley on Bieyl Court in Canton on March 30. She had been shot in the head.

Authorities believe the McGee and her alleged killer were acquaintances but thus far have not revealed a likely motive.

The 13-year-old defendant appeared before Juvenile Judge Rosemarie Hall, who ordered him held in juvenile detention for the protection of the community, for his own protection and because he is considered a flight risk.

She also ordered all media, including FOX 8, not to use the teenager's full name to protect his rights, explaining that in spite of the seriousness of the charge the defendant cannot be tried as an adult because of his age.

Relatives of both the defendant and the victim were also in court Wednesday.

Following the hearing, the victim's great-aunt Carlina Hanley called the crime "evil" and "calculated." She also described seeing the defendant in court as "difficult."

"I think, probably, the hardest part was when the young man walked out -- the look he gave. It wasn't a look, in my opinion, of remorse. I don't know, that was most hurtful. I at least want to know that he feels bad about what happened. I want to know that he's remorseful, you know, I did not see that. It was like an extra kick in the teeth," said Hanley.

A gag order prevents prosecutors and defense attorneys from discussing details of the case.

Relatives also avoided discussing specifics, but Hanley told reporters following the hearing that she believes the victim was lured to the location where she was killed in a calculated act that involved more than one individual.

"I believe she was ambushed, she was set up, she was lured. You know, Sylvia would not be out that time of night. You know, she was very close to me, her grandmother, her step-grandmother, my sister, Renee. She just wouldn't -- we stayed on her too much," said Hanley.

"I believe she was ambushed, she was set up, she was lured. You know, Sylvia would not be out that time of night. You know, she was very close to me, her grandmother, her step-grandmother, my sister, Renee. She just wouldn't -- we stayed on her too much," said Hanley.

Obviously y'all wasn't tht close.

A 14-year-old boy killed a teen girl execution style because he apparently believed a false rumor she was pregnant and thought he was the father, according to prosecutors.

Isiah Lynch pleaded true — the juvenile equivalent of guilty —Wednesday to a murder charge for the March fatal shooting of 14-year-old Sylvia McGee.

Lynch was 13 at the time of McGee’s death.

Following a plea hearing in juvenile court, Assistant Prosecutor Michelle Cordova said Lynch told police he believed McGee was pregnant.

“That is what I believe got this whole thing started,” she said, noting McGee was not his girlfriend. “There was no evidence of any other reason for this.”

Cordova said the girl had not been pregnant, citing the results of McGee’s autopsy.

Lynch also pleaded true to obstructing justice for giving false and misleading information to police and an accompanying gun specification.

He is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 7.

As part of a plea agreement, a charge of aggravated murder was reduced to murder.

The agreement averts Lynch’s trial, which had been set to begin Thursday with jury selection.

Under the terms, Lynch will remain in youth prison until age 21.

Lynch agreed not to request early release after he’s sentenced to an Ohio Department of Youth Services facility. Hall will be bound by those terms, Cordova said in an interview following Wednesday’s hearing.

However, the judge has not determined if Lynch will be sentenced as a serious youthful offender, a blend between the juvenile and adult court systems.

Because Lynch was 13 at the time of the murder, under Ohio law he cannot be tried as an adult.
A co-defendant, Michael J. Boykins, 14, recently pleaded true to tampering with evidence. A complicity to aggravated murder charge had been reduced.

Boykins also pleaded true to a count of obstructing justice. He is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 2.

Under his own plea agreement, Boykins will serve a minimum of one year in youth prison but could remain there until age 21 depending on his behavior, Cordova said.

Cordova said Boykins had been more truthful than Lynch when questioned by police.

Boykins had agreed to testify against Lynch if the case went to trial.

Lynch, Boykins and McGee had known each other since attending elementary school in Canton, Cordova said, and had reconnected following their middle school years.

McGee was killed less than a block from her home between midnight and 4 a.m., according to the prosecutor’s office. Lynch, Boykins and McGee had spent time together in the early morning hours of March 30.

Investigators believe Lynch shot McGee with a .38-caliber, semi-automatic handgun, Cordova said. Boykins witnessed the slaying but was not armed and did not fire any shots, she said.

The murder weapon was not recovered.

- A 14-year-old, who was charged with aggravated murder in the death of Sylvia McGee, will spend at least 7 years in the custody of Ohio Department of Youth Services (DYS).

In his sentencing Tuesday, the judge ruled that he would be committed to DYS until he is 21.

If he commits any violent offenses while in custody, he's subject to an adult portion of his sentence, which includes 15 years to life.
Police say McGee and the suspect were friends.

Back