• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Newburgh woman was indicted Wednesday on charges including attempted murder after, officials say, she abandoned her newborn son in a toilet at a Town of Newburgh motel.

Incredibly, by virtue of timing and a quick response by police, the baby survived, officials said.

Teresa Rose Smith, 23, now faces felony charges of attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and abandonment of a child.

Newburgh town police Chief Bruce Campbell said Smith left the room she had rented at the Budget Inn after noon Nov. 1. It was past checkout time, and motel staff were waiting to clean the motel room Smith had rented, Campbell said. The workers went in and saw “a large amount of blood in the room,” Campbell said, and they called police.

Campbell said when Sgt. Ted Brucato and officers Julia Haight and Conner Stenglein arrived, they saw blood in the bathroom and around the toilet. They checked inside the bowl, and found the newborn infant in the water.

The baby was cold to the touch and unresponsive, Campbell said, but the officers began trying to revive him. To their amazement, he began to kick and move.

They wrapped him in bed sheets to try to warm him until emergency medical technicians from the Town of Newburgh Emergency Medical Services arrived. The EMTs took the baby to St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital in the City of Newburgh.

“The good news is, the child is doing well,” Campbell said. He said he believes Smith signed over custody of the baby, who was placed in the care of Child Protective Services.

Campbell said City of Newburgh police officers tracked down Smith a couple of hours later and took her to St. Luke’s. “She was also in need of medical attention,” Campbell said. Police booked her the next day on a felony reckless endangerment charge.

“Ultimately, we learned she intentionally left the child in the toilet,” Campbell said.
https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181205/newburgh-woman-charged-after-newborn-left-in-motel-toilet

Last edited:
Who the hell does that? Forget the blood all over the room and I'm just going to leave that baby right there in the toilet. Now I am off to probably do drugs cause well that would make sense.

She could've easily spared herself from these consequences if she'd only turned the baby over instead of leaving him in the toilet, but, no. Triflin, indeed!

Ok...maybe a stupid question. But I was in the room for both my kids birth and either my wife deserves a best performance award or that shit hurt like hell...took a while too. How the fuck does a gal go casually crap out a baby and then waltz off like nothing happened...is she a cyborg?

This shit always amazes me too @ghosttruck People down the hall heard me yelling "This fucking suuuuccckkkkksssss!!!!" they kept telling me to be quiet n that being calm would make it easier... LIES, it felt DAMN good to scream n grunt (to me anyways) I feel bad for any first time moms who were scared about labor that were any where near my room - I prob horrified them

This shit always amazes me too @ghosttruck People down the hall heard me yelling "This fucking suuuuccckkkkksssss!!!!" they kept telling me to be quiet n that being calm would make it easier... LIES, it felt DAMN good to scream n grunt (to me anyways) I feel bad for any first time moms who were scared about labor that were any where near my room - I prob horrified them

Yes ... you did. Or rather it was someone ... i heard them. I delivered my second and fourth child naturally ... honestly i felt like super man after. Like it hurt ... but I felt to awesome to care.

Last edited:
@ghoststruck
Maybe she was on drugs when she gave birth or she was at such a low ebb that giving birth in a toilet was just a relief.
For every creepy pitiful bathroom deliery we read about, how many women in such bad circumstances just go to hospital, gave birth and walked away, at least abandoning the baby behind in a safe place.
Most babies are born in a safe place even if their future is risky.
The creepy crazy births end up on DD.

Thinking about The many babies and children on DD who died of abuse and starvation... most of them were born safely in hospital. It's what happened after that is the problem. I'll be a devils advocate for a woman who walks away immediately from a newborn baby rather than one who let's the baby starve to death slowly because she just cant deal with her repulsion of her offspring.

Last edited:
Today I learned that my daughter in law's niece's baby died, she was less than 4 weeks from delivery, and this bitch just squats and pushes out a healthy baby and leaves him in a toilet. That shit just ain't right!

my wife deserves a best performance award or that shit hurt like hell.

I've always wondered that too, I don't understand, because that shit does hurt like hell and these girls/women just seem to be able to give birth on toilets, in bushes, back of a truck, silently and stealthily, I don't understand either.

I couldn't have been silent if I had wnated to be. It hurts!

I almost had my Bub in the toilet when I was at the hospital.
The nurse walked in the room like omg where is she? Nathan said oh she is in the bathroom trying to poop. That nurse swooped in there so fast and pulled me off the toilet saying oh no baby you cant deliver him in the toilet.
I don't know how these women can give birth so noiselessly but not me chief.

It is amazing that the baby survived. It is more than likely the mother will surrender her rights and either get mental health help or go into rehab.

She in no way tried to hide the crime which turned out to be the best thing possible for the newborn.

The nurse walked in the room like omg where is she? Nathan said oh she is in the bathroom trying to poop.

I know right ... you get the pressure in your bum ... That's is what birth is like gentlemen ... its like having a you're going to poop sensation .. sometimes for hours ... along with Mind numbing cramps as the baby moves through your hips .. which you can't relate too and some of you are probably thinking ...really ... but what about ... ??? you know ??? And to that I have to say that, that part feels like you got snapped with an elastic for about ten seconds. its brief ... the cramp part is the worst, like a period ... but a baby ... its horrifying. Like you really do wonder for a second if your body is going to bust apart ... at the bones.

@Satanica @cubby @BuffettGirl
Teresa Smith has pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in connection to her leaving her baby in a toilet at a Budget Inn Motel in Newburgh.

According to Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler, on Nov. 1 last year, workers at the motel discovered blood, other bodily fluids and soiled clothes in the motel room and contacted police. The investigation led to officers from the Newburgh Police Department to discover the baby in the toilet bowl.

First responders rendered first aid to the baby, who was rushed to the hospital and survived.

According to Hoovler, prosecutors have argued that "moments after having given birth to the child found in a toilet bowl of her motel room, Smith wholly abandoned the child, leaving him in a toilet bowl, and left the room.” Prosecutors argued that Smith had no intent to return or care for the child as she left the motel.

Hoovler said that after pleading guilty, his office is recommending that Smith, a Newburgh resident, be sentenced to 15 years in prison, followed by five years of post-release supervision.

“The judge stated that he would sentence Smith to no more than twelve years in state prison and five years post-release supervision,” Hoovler said. “At the time that Smith pleaded guilty, she admitted that her actions in abandoning the newborn baby in the toilet bowl, and leaving the motel room, caused serious physical injury to the infant which created a substantial risk of death.

@Satanica @cubby @Prettypink513 @Fives My Charm @Nell
A woman who abandoned her newborn son in the motel room toilet where she gave birth to him was sentenced on Tuesday to 10 years in prison.

Teresa Rose Smith, 23, wept Tuesday in Orange County Court as she was sentenced for first-degree assault.

The baby boy she left behind at a Town of Newburgh motel room on Nov. 1 survived, and appears not to have suffered lasting injury, Senior Assistant District Attorney Christopher Kelly told the judge. Smith pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the case.

The boy spent two weeks in a hospital, and Smith quickly signed away her parental rights so he could be adopted.

Kelly told Judge Craig Brown that the only reasons the baby boy survived were the quick discovery of the bloody room by motel staff and the quick response of police and emergency personnel.

After giving birth, Smith cleaned herself up, got dressed, charged her cell phone, called a cab and went to Newburgh to get heroin, Kelly said.

“She never mentioned anything about that child to anyone who could have, and by God would have helped that child,” he said. “That child is alive because of the grace of God, not because of Teresa Smith.”

Smith’s lawyer, Donalda Gillies of the Legal Aid Society of Orange County, asked the judge to disregard Kelly’s “highly emotional and vile” characterization of Smith.

Smith was heavily addicted to heroin, in withdrawal at the time she gave birth and incapable of taking care of herself let alone anyone else, Gillies said. The birth was quick, and “almost hard to understand” for Smith in her drug-addled state, Gillies said.

“She went to her safe place, which for her was drugs,” Gillies said. Heroin was her only focus in the moment, Gillies said. Smith left the baby behind in a place where he was quickly discovered, and took no active measures to harm him.

Before heroin, Gillies told the judge, her client was “a good kid.”

“She is very remorseful,” Gillies said, asking the judge to impose the minimum sentence, five years in prison. “If she was not so deep in her addiction, there’s no way in the world she would have behaved this way.”

Smith did not speak.

Last edited:
I am glad she agreed to surrender her rights to the child and allow him the chance to grow up in a stable home.

She now needs to address her addiction and the underlying issues that have led her to doing drugs and making

poor choices.

Back