• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
gavelhandcuffs.jpeg

LOGAN, Ohio (AP/CNN) — Two teenagers have been arrested on reckless homicide charges in the death of an Ohio woman who was hit by a falling piece of tree at a state park.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says the 16-year-old and 17-year-old were taken into custody Thursday. They’re charged in the Sept. 2 death of 44-year-old Victoria Schafer, who was struck on stairs near Old Man’s Cave at Hocking Hills State Park in southeastern Ohio.

Investigators say they found evidence the falling piece that hit the Chillicothe woman wasn’t a natural occurrence. She died at the scene.

ODNR says it investigated the defendants after receiving information about their alleged involvement. It isn’t publicly identifying them because they’re juveniles.

A reward had been offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction.
[....]

Victim was a mother of 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio — Two 16-year-old males have been charged with murder in connection with the death of a woman who was killed while taking photos at a state park in September.

Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley, both of Logan, Ohio, are accused of pushing a 74-pound log off of a cliff that struck and killed Victoria Schafer, 44, as she took photos near Old Man’s Cave in Hocking Hills State Park on Sept. 2, according to ABC 6. The teens are charged with murder, involuntary manslaughter, and felonious assault.

Hocking County Prosecutor Benjamin E. Fickel ABC 6 the teens will be tried as adults. They are being held in a juvenile detention center after they were arrested earlier this month.
[....]
Investigators with the Hocking County Sheriff’s Department obtained a confession from the two teens about their involvement in Schafer’s death, according to reports. Schafer reportedly was taking senior photos of six high school seniors when the incident occurred.

Two 16-year-old boys have pleaded not guilty in the death of a woman killed by a falling log at an Ohio state park on Labor Day.

The Chillicothe Gazette reports Jaden Churchheus and Jordan Buckley were arraigned Friday in Hocking County Court on murder, involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide charges. The teens are being tried as adults.

They are accused of throwing or pushing a 74-pound (33.6-kilogram) log over a hill that struck and killed 44-year-old Victoria Schafer, who was standing below on stairs near Old Man’s Cave at Hocking Hills State Park.

A judge freed the teens on recognizance bonds and ordered them to remain under house arrest while monitored electronically.
1573955216797.png

A Hocking County judge has rejected a suspect's motion to suppress interviews regarding the death of Victoria Schafer after a month and a half of consideration.

Jordan A Buckley,17, along with co-defendant Jaden Churchheus, 16, face charges of murder, an unclassified felony; involuntary manslaughter, a first-degree felony; and reckless homicide, a third-degree felony. Both have pleaded not guilty.

The motion concerned interviews that were given by Buckley at Logan High School and Hocking Hills State Park on Oct. 10, approximately five weeks after Schafer was killed by a 74-pound log that authorities have said was pushed or thrown off of a cliff above Old Man’s Cave.

Buckley's Attorney, Bob Toy, argued in a hearing on March 5. that statements Buckley made should be suppressed because law enforcement did not inform him he was a suspect in the case. Defense witnesses, including his mother Lisa Buckley, testified that they were told he was only being interviewed as a witness.

The defense argued that as he was unaware he was a suspect, he did not knowingly, willingly, and voluntarily waive his Miranda rights.

Hocking County Common Pleas Judge John T. Wallace denied the motion in an 11-page statement issued Monday.

A recording of the interview given at Logan High School shows that he was Mirandized before law enforcement allowed him to give statements, and that Buckley started talking before even being asked, leading investigators to interrupt to go over Miranda first.

"While this court would have been more comfortable if Law Enforcement had made some additional explanation as to Jordan's rights, this court does find in totality of circumstances that Jordan understood his rights, and his waiver of rights was voluntary," Judge Wallace wrote. "The warnings are intended to provide the suspect with the knowledge to make a knowing, intelligent, and voluntary decision to invoke or waive his rights - nothing requires him to make a wise decision."

Buckley also argued that he was in custody at the time of the interview and at Hocking Hills State Park when the interviews were given.

However, the court ruled that while Law Enforcement did not explain a citizen's right to end questioning at any time, Buckley was never restrained in any significant way, no threats were made, he was not physically intimidated, and the room not uncomfortable.

He was also offered water and the chance to go to the bathroom should he need to.

Buckley also stated in the video recording of the interview given at Logan High School that he would be "fine" with meeting investigators at Hocking Hills state park after a doctor's appointment he had that day for an arm injury to walk through the events of Sept. 2, when Schafer was killed.

Wallace notes that Buckley arrived at the park for the second interview with his parents and left with his parents. "Under the above circumstances, it is clear he was not in custody. This is true even if (Detective Lieutenant Dustin Robison of the Hocking County Sheriff's Office) would have requested an arrest warrant if he had not shown up at the park," said Wallace.

As such, the court states that Buckley was not entitled to a second Miranda warning.

Finally, Buckley contended that he should have been given the chance to take a polygraph test. While Wallace states that he found no legal precedent on this, polygraph tests are not generally admissible in an Ohio courts due to being unreliable. There is an exception to this if both parties agree to allow its admission

One of two teens accused of pushing a 74-pound log off a cliff that killed a mother of four at an Ohio state park has pleaded guilty.

Jaden W. Churchheus, 17, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the September 2019 death of 44-year-old Victoria Schafer, the Columbus Dispatch reports.

Churchheus and another teen, 17-year-old Jordan Buckley, pushed the six-foot-plus log off a cliff at the Old Man’s Cave in Hocking Hills State Park, killing Schafer, who was taking photos below on Labor Day, investigators from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources have said.

Two other charges Churchheus had faced — murder and reckless homicide — were dropped as part of a plea agreement, the newspaper reports.

Schafer was killed almost instantly, WBNS reports.

The teens, who were first charged as juveniles, both initially pleaded not guilty to the charges of murder, involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide, the station reports.

A judge said he would transfer Churchheus’ case back to juvenile court when he’s sentenced as part of the plea deal. The judge is recommending Churchheus serve at least three years at a juvenile detention facility, according to the Dispatch.

Churchheus said he was “truly sorry” for his actions during Wednesday’s hearing, which Schafer’s husband attended.

“I have thought about the fact that I caused someone’s death every day since it happened, and I will carry that for the rest of my life,” the teen said.

“I appreciate the kindness of Ms. Schafer’s family, the attorney general’s office and the prosecutor’s office in giving me a second chance.”

Churchheus said he was “truly sorry” for his actions during Wednesday’s hearing, which Schafer’s husband attended.

“I have thought about the fact that I caused someone’s death every day since it happened, and I will carry that for the rest of my life,” the teen said.

“I appreciate the kindness of Ms. Schafer’s family, the attorney general’s office and the prosecutor’s office in giving me a second chance.”
I hope he means it.

Actually this is what they should have been charged with in the first place but I guess the D.A. wanted to look all 'Law & Order' for re-election.

I laughed my ass off reading about how their motions to suppress were denied.
Let this be a lesson -
The cops are not your friends.
There is no such thing as a 'friendly interview' with police.
Talking to leo's without your lawyer is a sure fire way to get arrested.

There is now a 3rd person arrested.

Miranda Spencer, then 19, was with defendants Jordan Buckley and Jaden Churchheus that day at the park, along with another girl.
Spencer was indicted on Sept. 25 by a Hocking County Grand Jury on one count of obstruction of justice, a third-degree felony.
[•••]
Spencer initially testified that she did not remember who pushed the log off of the cliff during Churchheus' hearing in the morning.
However, during Buckley's hearing in the afternoon, Spencer testified that Churchheus was the one to physically throw the log over the cliff. Spencer said she'd reviewed transcripts of one of her four interviews with law enforcement. Buckley's attorney Bob Toy provided Spencer with the documents in the hallway outside the courtroom.

Spencer testified that the defendants "did it to be funny," and said that Buckley told Churchheus there was no one below after she'd told them not to throw the log.
[•••]
"I know Jaden. I don't believe that he would ever intentionally hurt someone," said Spencer.
However, she also recalled Jaden bragging later that he "caught his first body at 17."

The first of two teenagers who pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter for the death of a photographer at Hocking Hills in 2019 was sentenced Friday morning to three years at a juvenile corrections facility.

Jordan Buckley, 16, was sentenced in juvenile court for the death of Victoria Schafer, a 44-year-old Chillicothe photographer who was was struck and killed by a rolling log while she was near Old Man’s Cave on Sept. 2, 2019.

The second teenager, Jaden Churchheus, 17, is scheduled to receive his sentence Friday afternoon.

Actually this is what they should have been charged with in the first place but I guess the D.A. wanted to look all 'Law & Order' for re-election.

Agree. The initial charges seem odd.

Was this similar to an overpass type of deal where they were deliberately throwing shit off an area TRYING to fuck with people? Or were they just up high somewhere rolling shit down for some dumbass fun, not knowing/thinking people could be down below?

The charges make it seem like it was the latter.

I laughed my ass off reading about how their motions to suppress were denied.
Let this be a lesson -
The cops are not your friends.
There is no such thing as a 'friendly interview' with police.
Talking to leo's without your lawyer is a sure fire way to get arrested.

Back