• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Unamused Cat

Veteran Member
http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=107428&d=3&m=3&y=2008

JEDDAH, 3 March 2008 — Early morning shoppers at a supermarket in Jeddah were left reeling yesterday, with some falling unconscious, after a well-built Syrian man clinched a knife and decapitated his 15-month-old nephew in front of his mother in the store’s fruit and vegetable section.

In a brutal murder that has shocked the city, the 25-year-old man beheaded the boy, who was out shopping with his mother — in full glare of shoppers and staff at Al-Marhaba supermarket on Sari Street around 9.30 a.m. The man, who is the boy’s maternal uncle, apparently killed the boy following a dispute with his sister and brother-in-law.

An eyewitness, who lives in the neighborhood, said that the victim’s family lived close by and frequented the supermarket. “I’ve seen the murderer carrying the same child and playing with him on a number of occasions,â€￾ he added.

My god. How could a person to this to a child, much less one he was familiar with?

That's a horrible fucking story. I cannot imagine the horror the mother is going through right now. My god, there is no words. Except maybe...YOU SICK MOTHERFUCKER!:mad:

Actually, the Koran instructs you to do this under certain circumstances. The Old Testament, too!

I'll have to look into that. I've read both and don't remember anything like that. Then again, that was middle school, and my extremist interpretation skills were not likely fully developed. ;)

I'll have to look into that. I've read both and don't remember anything like that. Then again, that was middle school, and my extremist interpretation skills were not likely fully developed. ;)

Well, the literal instructions are to "throw stones at him, until he is dead, that the evil be rid of you" (referring to the disobedient child). But, as much of the holy books are to be taken as allegory, I think the guy was correct in stretching the meaning to include the substitution of a knife for the rocks.

Honor killing of some sort I assume. It is, as Swivel suggests, well supported in Islamic law. The Koran and Haddith are often vague enough that several of the calls to violence are sufficiently vague that they might be used to justify both acts. But what strikes me as most convincing is Sahi Muslim No. 4206 in the Hadith.

Well, the literal instructions are to "throw stones at him, until he is dead, that the evil be rid of you" (referring to the disobedient child). But, as much of the holy books are to be taken as allegory, I think the guy was correct in stretching the meaning to include the substitution of a knife for the rocks.

Can you be more specific than that? This is all I found: Deuteronomy 21:21-22;Then all the men in his town must throw stones at him until he dies. Get rid of the evil among you, because then all the people of Israel will hear about this and be afraid. If someone is guilty of a sin worthy of death, he must be put to death and his body displayed on a tree.

Obviously not from the Qur'an. I need help.

Can you be more specific than that? This is all I found: Deuteronomy 21:21-22;Then all the men in his town must throw stones at him until he dies. Get rid of the evil among you, because then all the people of Israel will hear about this and be afraid. If someone is guilty of a sin worthy of death, he must be put to death and his body displayed on a tree.

In terms of child-killing in the Torah:

Exodus 21:15 - And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.

I don't love the King James Bible, but I don't think the Artscroll translation is online, and my copy is back in Michigan.

Deuteronomy 21:

18.If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19.Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20.And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21.And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

A great resource on violence in the Koran:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/cruelty/long.html

Of note:

6:137 Thus have their (so-called) partners (of Allah) made the killing of their children to seem fair unto many of the idolaters, that they may ruin them and make their faith obscure for them. Had Allah willed (it otherwise), they had not done so. So leave them alone with their devices.

Back