• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The strain was possibly from Owsley Stanley, the Grateful Dead's notorious sound engineer

What would you do if you found a 50-year-old dose of LSD laying around? If you’re Eliot Curtis, the Broadcast Operations Manager for KPIX Television, you get high on acid… accidentally.

Curtis recently undertook the project of restoring a vintage Buchla Model 100 modular synthesizer. According to San Francisco KPIX 5, the instrument had been sitting in a cold, dark room at Cal State University East Bay since the 1960s, so he lugged it home and began repairing it.

After opening a red-paneled module on the synth, he noticed there was “a crust or a crystalline residue on it.” Naturally, he did what any person tasked with fixing up an old instrument would do: spray some cleaner on it, pick at the residue with his finger, and try to dislodge it by scratching it off. But 45 minutes later, he started to feel some tingling. It was the start of a nine-hour acid trip.

Full Story:
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/05/synth-repairman-accidentally-gets-high-after-touching-old-lsd-on-a-vintage-60s-synthesizer/

I have some lovely memories with this stuff, buutttt.....

Pretty sure I would assume I was straight up dying if I started tripping out without intentionally dosing. FUCK THAT! I'd probably be attempting to call an ambulance, except for the fact that words tend to be too melty for me to read.

Seemingly kept it's potency just fine. Considering all he did was touch it a little with his finger, that must have been some kick ass acid.
It said he sprayed some kind of cleaner on it; I'm guessing since it was an audiophile-type dude cleaning audio equipment, the cleaner was probably pure volatile solvent. That probably helped it get all over (and into) his skin. If he'd just touched a crystalline residue, I don't know that he'd have tripped.

ATM, I'm repairing/restoring a beautiful old German made violin with a few cracks in the spruce top that my BIL found in his stucco & stone work company's rented-on site dumpster - BUT... suddenly, I'm thinking of going in and doing a thorough deep cleaning on my mid-'60's ARP synth, and the late-'60's Fender Rhodes touring model electric piano that has changed hands from Blackfoot and on to several Mussel Shoals area bands before it's last owner gave it to me, thinking it was obsolete for his band.
I wonder how many magical mystery tours I could score for free? :cool:

Back