• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
(CNN)The FBI and Massachusetts state police are investigating after three members of a group that plans to hold a "Straight Pride Parade" in Boston next month reported receiving suspicious packages in the mail Monday.

At least three parade organizers received envelopes in the mail with no return address, one of the organizers, Samson Racioppi, said.

Racioppi is part of the group Super Happy Fun America, which has applied for a permit to host a "Straight Pride Parade" in Boston in August.
He told CNN he discovered the envelope in his mailbox around 1:30 p.m. Monday and called the police because of its strange appearance.
[....]
A hazmat team shut down his street to traffic and told neighbors to leave their homes while the mail was investigated, he said.

Racioppi said he called other organizers and told them to check their mail. He says at least two other organizers, including Super Happy Fun America's vice president Mark Sahady received similar envelopes.
[....]
Sahady said he was later told by an officer that the envelope contained glitter and a handwritten letter.

The FBI does not believe the packages pose a threat to public safety and the investigation is ongoing, Kristen Setera, a spokesperson for the bureau, told CNN Monday.

Neither the Massachusetts State Police nor the FBI would comment on who the packages were sent to.

But organizers said they believe they were targeted because of their efforts to plan the parade.

"It got a lot of news coverage, so it obviously had to do with the parade," Sahady said.
[....]
Critics have panned the idea as homophobic.

But the group's president, John Hugo, told CNN the event is "not anti-gay but pro-straight," adding that a groundswell of support is building around it.

More than 350 volunteers have joined the effort and Milo Yiannopoulos is slated as the grand marshal, he said. The permit says 2,000 attendees are expected.

I buy it. Everyone knows that gays are passionate and artsy. What screams "passionate and artsy" louder than death threats scrawled out in glitter?

I suppose it does seem a little stereotypical. I mean if I was a gay dude I'd just write out all of my death threats in engine grease. Nobody would ever suspect me. Maybe a straight dude was leaving behind gay bread crumbs.

Is there anyone here who identifies as a straight dude leaving behind gay bread crumbs? Really!!??? I'm the only one!!!!???

Super Happy Fun America is the faggiest sounding Chinese Engrish name ever!!!!
There I said it.

Behold their parade grand Marshall or homecoming queen.
It is all very confusing...lol

Does that mean this organization has sent threats and dangerous packages to other groups?

We get threats constantly in the LGBT+ world when we organise parades or protests or sometimes just just because we exist. Random strangers want to hurt us just because we're different to them. Straight pride is bullshit, straights don't have to worry about being hurt or killed because they're straight. We have Pride not because we're "proud" of being different but because we're trying to raise awareness of the risks we run just existing in this world not being straight. Someone sent them glitter and they felt threatened. We get murdered on the streets.

@Benighted You told me why you don't like them.
You did not answer my question. You said " they don't like it when the shoe's on the other foot ". That implies they welcome threats against lgbt or have actually done it themselves. There is no evidence of that.
Anyone who receives a threat or suspicious packages should certainly contact police.

I just thought it was so fragile. LGBTQ+ people get iffy packages in the run up to Pride events, we sniff them, feel them, listen to them and only when we're absolutely sure we don't know if we can trust them we call the police. These guys get a few envelopes of glitter and they panic. Either they overreacted to a crunchy envelope or they opened it and freaked out at glitter. They are dealing with, for their straight pride parade, what LGBTQ+ people have dealt with for decades and they don't like it. Neither do we. But apparently it's part of life. Tbh I would like to see a world where nobody felt they had to act out at anybody. I don't really know where I'm going with this but I guess maybe if it gives them some insight into what we deal with, a little glitter isn't a bad thing. With that, I'm done.

Back