• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-02/mascot-chaos-in-sugar-bowl-college-football-match/10679724
[....]
Leading up to Georgia's end-of-season match against the University of Texas, a 750kg steer attacked the opposition team's mascot, putting dozens of bystanders at risk.

Reporters, photographers and Georgia's mascot — a pudgy, slow-moving English Bulldog named Uga — were all lucky to escape uninjured, as the steer's giant horns went unchecked.

The plan was for the two mascots to meet, given it was the first time the two colleges had gone head to head in an end-of-season clash, known to the locals as a Bowl game.

Officials got a pre-game coming together but not of the variety they had been anticipating.

A social media post shows a photographer, who had her back to the charging Longhorn, crouched down at just the right time to avoid its right horn.

American commentators, watching the live footage, were in shock as the moment unfolded.

"Oh my word."

"Can live television get better than that?" one said.

Founded in 1881, the University of Texas (UT) is one of the biggest and most followed colleges in the United States and has had a version of Bevo the Longhorn as mascot since 1916, the current version being the 15th incarnation.

Georgia, whose fans scream "Go Dawgs" as part of their college sports war cry, have had a dog called Uga as a mascot on campus since 1956.

Live mascots are extremely common among US college teams, who have large supporter bases of current and former students passionately following their alma mater's progress each year.

American football sits alongside basketball as one of the top sports in college athletics, with television audiences regularly exceeding the size of Australia's population.

28 million people were expected to tune in to this year's Sugar Bowl between Georgia and UT.

Attachments

• mascot_attack.jpg
    mascot_attack.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,816
The bull is a stupid live mascot. It has no collar or leash, and the handlers obviously had no control over it. . If it had wanted to cause significantly more damage, they could not have stopped it.

The bull is a stupid live mascot. It has no collar or leash, and the handlers obviously had no control over it. . If it had wanted to cause significantly more damage, they could not have stopped it.
He's a steer not a bull. He was wearing a halter and lead. He also stopped on his own, (the handler may have told him to stop) then they grabbed his lead. Longhorns are docile despite their looks. For a steer he behaved very well.
Never the less, we all agree it was a really dumb move. Cattle don't like to be surprised with dogs!
If all he did was accidentally step on someone's foot it would be nasty

Last edited:
Wasn't there a bulldog named Ugga in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

Also, whether steer or bull, having something that huge that you can't control when there is a crowd of people milling about seems like a poor choice.

Last edited:
God i fucking hate ignorant hick southeners. Texans AND Georgians together at once, no way this could have ended well

Damn College Football has more bowls than Rae Dunn. I should know: my wife has DOZENS!!!

Back