• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Athena

Buzzkill.
Short people are most prone to jealousy, say scientists
Wed Mar 12, 2:24 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - Short people should pray for a return to the Seventies fashion of stack heels, for the power of jealousy depends on how tall you are, the British weekly New Scientist says.

Researchers at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and University of Valencia in Spain asked 549 Dutch and Spanish men and women to rate how jealous they felt, and to list the qualities in a romantic competitor that were most likely to make them ill at ease.

Men generally felt most nervous about attractive, rich and strong rivals.

But these feelings were increasingly relaxed the taller they were themselves. The more vertically challenged the man, the greater his feelings of jealousy.

For women, what counted most in jealousy was the rival's looks and charm, but these feelings were less intense if the woman herself was of average height.

This makes sense in evolutionary terms, says New Scientist, in next Saturday's issue.

Taller men are most successful with women, and women of medium height enjoy the best health, fertility and popularity with men.

On the other hand, a woman of average height could in certain circumstances fall afoul of the green-eyed monster if their rival were taller.

"Taller women are more dominant and have greater fighting abilities than shorter women," says the study, which appears in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior.

Nothing I didn't already know. It's best to be tall if you're male and average if you're female. But even though average women enjoy the advantage with men, they're envyous of taller women...as if that makes sense. :p

Last edited:
"Taller women are more dominant and have greater fighting abilities than shorter women,"

Being 6' myself, I totally agree with that statement! I love being able to put my palm on my husband's forehead and he can swing all he wants but he can't reach me bcs I have ape arms and he, being 5'4", has T Rex arms. I can also manage to kick you when you are further away. So being tall comes in handy. ;)

I enjoy being tall but it is a pain in the ass to shop though bcs most of the clothing industry thinks if you're tall you're also wide..I mean, everyone's heard of the "Big and Tall" shops, but what about us "Skinny and Tall" ?? If it weren't for JC Penney, I really have no idea where I would get clothes.

How tall is "average."

I'm 5'5" and wouldn't mind being a couple of inches taller, but only so my height-weight ratio would seem more proportionate. :p

I enjoy being tall but it is a pain in the ass to shop though bcs most of the clothing industry thinks if you're tall you're also wide..I mean, everyone's heard of the "Big and Tall" shops, but what about us "Skinny and Tall" ?? If it weren't for JC Penney, I really have no idea where I would get clothes.

That's hilarious. I seem to find the opposite. Although I'm nearly 6', I find womens' clothing to be built for women who are tall and thin. I can never find a blouse that falls where it should at my waist but doesn't pucker at my bust. I usually end up having to buy a size too big to accommodate the breasteses. :p

Short men have Napoleon syndrome.
Tall women are tough but have clothing issues.
Average women have all the luck.
Short women are unsatisfied.
Tall men are well endowed?
Average men are..Average

Short women are unsatisfied.

oh, that is SO not true.

I'm 5'3", not particularly jealous, and do very well in the satisfaction department. The only reason i'd want to be taller is to be thinner, because i have a lot of curves and i wouldn't mind some great legs. But if i could be way thinner without getting taller, that would be fine too. ;)

If anything, I'm occasionally jealous of my 5'2" best friend. She wears a size 5/6 shoe, which tends to be the average display size, so she can ALWAYS find cute shoes.

Meh, I'm 6'-6'1" and better than average in all ways, so I have never really seen that jealousy thing rear it's ugly head in my life at all...at least, not on my end. Oh, yeah, and then there's that whole belief in "people being who they are and are going to do what they're going to do, regardless, so why worry?" ;)

Being 6' myself, I totally agree with that statement! I love being able to put my palm on my husband's forehead and he can swing all he wants but he can't reach me bcs I have ape arms and he, being 5'4", has T Rex arms. I can also manage to kick you when you are further away. So being tall comes in handy. ;)

Um, wow. That's wrong in so many ways to make that public knowledge, but I'm laughing my ass off over here anyway. :D

Oh, and one more thing, for the ladies that are complaining about the clothing. Men, in great shape have that issue also. For instance, I used to have a 48" chest, 18" neck, and 32" waist. Definitely NOT average. A wide chest, broad shoulders, small waist, and thick legs are impossible to buy for. As a result, I had to have my clothing tailored after it was bought, for the most part. You pay for being proportioned better than average. But, come on, isn't it worth it? :)

Um, wow. That's wrong in so many ways to make that public knowledge, but I'm laughing my ass off over here anyway. :D

Why is it wrong and what shouldn't be public knowledge? You've seen my tits for God's sake, so what difference does it make for me to crack on husband?

It's totally true and we laugh our asses off over it too, especially when I can reach something and he can't. It's a win/win situation bcs he totally digs how tall I am and how sexy I look in high heels, and his being vertically challenged puts his face right at tit level so that's perfect for me!

It was probably just the way you put it about holding your hand out, on his forehead, and him not being able to hit you. lol

It was probably just the way you put it about holding your hand out, on his forehead, and him not being able to hit you. lol

Yeah, it is pretty funny. We're weirdos, what can I say. We dig doing it in public and watching other people's faces, first in shock bcs they think he's actually trying to hit me and then laughter bcs he can't. I have perfected the 'whatever short boy' look to have on my face, and usually lift the other hand and look at my nails, completely bored. Does that make us evil?

Haha! That's hilarious! It's great that y'all have such a wonderful relationship. My sister, herself, is around 5'9"-5'10" and she has always hated the fact that the guys that are interested in her usually only come up to her chest. lol

I'm 5'7" 125 lbs all my closest friends are 5'3" 100 lbs and under, I always hated that I was taller and bigger (hence eating disorder, I'm a dumb ass). They made me feel so big. My ex was 5'7" and when I wore heels I felt like a giant! My hubby is 6'2" and I love not feeling huge anymore! I think women are attractive in all heights. Short men can be very attractive also they shouldn't be jealous!

Fuck it love yourself people!

It's always been my luck to date the shorter women, for the most part, not that I have anything at all against those who are "vertically challenged." I just happen to find taller women extremely sexy. Maybe one of these days.

Oh, and one more thing, for the ladies that are complaining about the clothing. Men, in great shape have that issue also. For instance, I used to have a 48" chest, 18" neck, and 32" waist. Definitely NOT average. A wide chest, broad shoulders, small waist, and thick legs are impossible to buy for. As a result, I had to have my clothing tailored after it was bought, for the most part. You pay for being proportioned better than average. But, come on, isn't it worth it? :)

My little sister is 5'1" or 5'2". She weighs about 98 pounds, soaking wet, and at least thirty of it is tits. She has had to have her bras and swimsuits custom ordered since she was about 15. Stores just don't sell 28DD or 28E(when she was pregnant/nursing). her husband loves the shit out of it though!
I am of average height (5'5"), and have never been particularly jealous. And while I don't think I've had ALL the luck, I did get a wonderful man, who loves me (and is also of average height). He's a tiny bit more jealous than I am though. I keep telling him he doesn't need to be, because the only guy I would consider cheating on him with is not likely to show his bald, wrinkled ass up on my doorstep, anyway:p (I'm in lust with Sean Connery). If I can't have Sean, the only other guy I want is already mine, anyway. So I'm a happy bitch most days!:D

My baby sister was 5'1" and very jealous, I on the other hand am 5'7" and have never really been so. My husband is 5'10" and has always dated "lil shorties" till me and has actually changed his opion and likes my long legs.( I wear a 36 length in pants even though I'm only 5'7") He is however alot more jealous than me.

Dynamite Comes in Small Packages ;)

I'm 5' 3" tall (almost...and yeah my driver's license says 5'4", but......), Dammit. I like it. I've little feet, and big ass boobs that I've had since like 5th grade. I've never been jealous of taller people. I was always thin until babies and now I fight with my weight constantly. I have to exercise a lot more, and eat less fat and calories. But, I wanna feel good so that's what I do. My older sister is like 5'9" and she always says if I could stretch out I wouldn't be chubby. Hahahahaha Well, the bitch is now chubbier than I am, because she "refuses" to exercise or eat healthy. Goddamn College educated woman and won't listen to shit.....she smokes a pack and a half of cigs too and will be 50 this year.
Actually at 43, I am really the happiest I've ever been with my body. I am more confident, I am more used to who I am and I am healthy. I still want to lose around 15lbs, but I ain't sweating a bit. This summer I'll be working in the garden, push-mowing the lawn, and playing with the kids, so I'll be fine. Learning to love your body can be a difficult thing. I love me short. I wear a 10/12 and frankly I am very cool with that. My only bitch with my body....stretch marks on my belly from two kids. I try to look at that as great beautiful battle scars....cause ya know, having babies for me was like a fucking battle, but sometimes plastic surgery don't sound too vain.:D

Back