• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A live explosive device unwittingly taken into a Devon primary school for 'show and tell' had to be detonated by a military bomb squad, Devon Live can reveal.

The World War Two era shell was believed to be deactivated - but after it had been shown to children aged 9 and 10 it was discovered to be active.

Now the headteacher of Kingsacre Primary School, in Braunton where the incident occurred, has said the school "clearly needs to review our procedures for show-and-tell".

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/child-takes-live-explosive-school-2508214

[GALLERY=media, 265][/GALLERY]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief, the adults in the family knew this was an ordnance, although they thought it was safe - yet still thought it was something appropriate for show and tell.
Seriously, even if this had been deactivated, IMO even a picture of it wouldn't be an appropriate topic for show and tell in this day and age.

When I was in elementary school, a friend of mine in the 3th grade found a blasting cap and took it home to play with it using his childhood chemistry set.
It detonated in his right hand, and he lost his entire thumb, most of the middle of his palm, and all of his fingers past the first knuckle. He was also a gifted artist, and retaught himself how to hold a pencil between the stubs of his forefinger and pinky, with the pencil on the opposite sides of his middle and ring finger stubs.
I remember how the other children would tease him about his hand, and were afraid to touch him thinking they could lose their hands too - and I remember gently holding his maimed hand so many times to show them that this was an accident, and no one could be harmed by it, except my friend if he accidentally hit it or was somehow hit on that hand too hard, and by the endless teasing of others over his badly damaged hand that was still able to draw such beautiful pictures.

If it was still loaded then an accidental firing was within the realm of possibility. If it was still fuzed then an accidental firing was well within the realm of probability. And if it was a UXO then it's a miracle it hadn't already fired.

--Al

I brought maggots for show and tell.

One time I brought a slug that I had just stepped on. In western Oregon, you get a lot of the big slugs. It looked really cool because it was like I stepped on the head and then the tail opened up and all the innards just slid right out. I was still in front of my house so I ran inside and grabbed a plastic baggie. I put the slug in there and as soon as I got to school (4th grade) I showed the teacher. She put it under a microscope and we all got a chance to see slug guts close up.

One time I brought a slug that I had just stepped on. In western Oregon, you get a lot of the big slugs. It looked really cool because it was like I stepped on the head and then the tail opened up and all the innards just slid right out. I was still in front of my house so I ran inside and grabbed a plastic baggie. I put the slug in there and as soon as I got to school (4th grade) I showed the teacher. She put it under a microscope and we all got a chance to see slug guts close up.
I was on my way to school and was walking by a trashcan lid when I spotted the little white baby worms.
I remembered it was my show and tell day so picked up as many as I could and kept them in my hand as best I could. They kept escaping and I kept pushing them back into my palm.
I made it thru recess and the first 30 minutes or so. Then it was finally show and tell. I got up to the front of the classroom and said ", I have a family of worms" the teacher got up, walked over and in a disapproving voice said
"Those are maggots. Throw those away and go wash your hands."
For weeks after that she would shudder Everytime she looked at me.

What a wasted educational opportunity! Your little "worm family" could've supplied days of lessons even for young children. You would've at least learned why they make people squeamish.

I like notchback's teacher much better.

I like notchback's teacher much better.
I really didn't like her. Mrs. Peckham was a fat bitch who loved her paddle. I was on the receiving end of it at least every other week. One of my friends refused to do his spelling homework over the weekend, so every Monday Keith just walked outside the door when we had to hand them in. She'd go out there with her paddle and smack him. Don't know why she did it. He was never going to do it.

No, that's Richard in the front. I'm the one in the back row with the awesome red, white and blue striped jeans. Those poor pants met their demise when a sister of mine dropped a full gallon of mustard on them. I retaliated by smashing a couple of raw eggs on her head. I still mourn those pants.

Keith missed school that day and is not in the picture.

Last edited:
Back