• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

This tale brought to us by @Sue sue

A Cambridge University student broke open a door of a plane and jumped to her death after overpowering a fellow passenger while mid-air, it is claimed.

Alana Cutland, 19, fell from a Cessna light aircraft as she travelled back from a remote lodge where she was studying crabs as part of her natural science degree.

The tragic incident happened 15 minutes after the plane took off from the remote Analalava region in northern Madagascar on July 25.

Alana is understood to have fought off British tourist Ruth Johnson before plunging 3,600 feet into the Madagascar savanna below, The Sun reported.

The pilot also grappled onto Alana's leg and manoeuvred the plane from side to side in a desperate bid to prevent her from flinging herself from the tiny aircraft.

Both eventually lost grip of Alana after becoming "exhausted" in the life and death struggle.

Authorities have launched a major operation to locate her whereabouts, but have not yet been able to recover her body.

Police officers investigating her death have recreated events on board the fateful flight after taking statements from Ms Johnson and the pilot.

Local police chief Sinola Nomenjahary said: “The Cessna C168 aircraft was taking off from Anjajavy with three people aboard, including Ms Johnson, Alana and the pilot.

I always think of the untold...I wonder just how much the other chic and/or even the pilot had something to do with this...it is after all, possible. :shifty: No cameras, no documentation of what truly happened, only their word and how do we know undoubtedly that they are reliable sources?

Was she even on the plane to begin with?? Need body please!

Last edited:
Well, from the articles... She was supposed to be in Madagascar for six weeks, but only lasted eight days. Her family was concerned about her because she had sent some "strange" and "alarming" texts and emails to them (no specifics). Her parents convinced her to call it off and come home. They rented her seat on the plane.

I can't remember which article, but one of them said the side effects of one of the disease-prevention (like anti-malarial) medications was potentially hallucinations, paranoia, etc. Her uncle was interviewed and said she had been suffering hallucinations for a couple days, according to her messages and phone calls home. The family said she has no history of mental illness.

So, yeah, I think she was on the plane. I think the people tried to save her, and are darn lucky they didn't crash in the process. Either the meds messed with her mind, somebody slipped her a Mickey Finn, or she licked the hypnotoad.

I can't remember which article, but one of them said the side effects of one of the disease-prevention (like anti-malarial) medications was potentially hallucinations, paranoia, etc. Her uncle was interviewed and said she had been suffering hallucinations for a couple days, according to her messages and phone calls home. The family said she has no history of mental illness.
Capstick wrote of being on safari with another pro hunter and three clients, a man and wife and the brother of one of them. And the first night out Wifey lost her mind, outmuscling three or four grown men who were trying to stop her from biting them. She didn't go to sleep until almost dawn.

Anti-malarials? I would definitely believe that that was possible.

--Al

Certain antimalarials are taken only while in-country. Others are taken before departure and after return. In any case, this particular reaction is very rare. Out of the dozen or so antimalarials I found data on, Mefloquine seems to be the one which causes it most often.

The CDC is reporting that, while there is malaria in Indonesia, there is none in the resort areas of Bali. Link

--Al

Back