• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
@Satanica @cubby @Prettypink513 @BuffettGirl
The attorney for a man convicted of abducting, raping and killing a 10-year-old Missouri girl says his death sentence should be overturned.

Jurors found 51-year-old Craig Wood guilty last year of first-degree murder for the February 2014 death of Hailey Owens in Springfield. His attorney told the Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday that the process used to impose the death sentence wasn't constitutional. The issue is that jurors couldn't decide whether to sentence Wood to death or life in prison without parole. That left the decision in the hands of the judge who oversaw Wood's trial.

Missouri and Indiana are the only states where a judge can impose a death sentence.

I say let him choose between an immediate bullet in the back of the head, or LWOP in general population of a maximum security facility. No option for PC, with the stipulation that no punishment can arise from the 'mistreatment' of him by other inmates. The suffering he would endure would make what he did that that poor little girl seem trivial in comparison.

A smart man would take the bullet, this guy does not seem to be a smart man.

On February 18, 2014, Hailey Owens was walking on the sidewalk near Westport K-8 School on her way home from a friend’s house. She was kidnapped by Craig Wood. He took her back to his house, where he raped and killed her in his basement.
“That feeling of innocence like, ‘this will never happen here ‘kind of feeling’, everyone really felt like that was robbed from them back when this happened,” said Springfield Police Major Tad Peters.

In 2017, the trial for 55-year-old Craig Wood began. During the trial, the courtroom heard the impact her murder had on the community.
“It just shifted, I think, the way people of Springfield see Springfield. Countless parents say they don’t let their kids play in the front yard now, unless they’re around and there. They think a lot harder before they let their kids walk to school or to a friend’s house,” said Pastor Pat Findley of Ridgecrest Baptist during the trial.
Owens’ teacher, Tara Tharp, described how her classmates tried to cope.

“I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. We can’t just go and teach math, just go and do a reading class. Hailey’s not there, can’t act like it didn’t happen,” she said.
Wood’s defense and the prosecution went back and forth as to why Wood should be put to death or spend the rest of his life in jail, with no chance of getting out.

Jurors found Wood guilty in November of first-degree murder. However, the jury could not come up with a unanimous decision on his sentencing. That meant the decision for punishment would be made by the judge.
On January 11, 2018, Craig Wood was sentenced to death.

“For the offense of murder in the first degree this court assesses and declares punishment to be death for the murder of Hailey Owens,” said Greene County Judge Thomas Mountjoy.

Since his sentencing, his attorneys have tried to overturn his death sentencing, but the Missouri Supreme Court has ruled against it.
From Hailey’s Law to a memorial garden, Hailey’s family has worked hard to make sure her impact is remembered. In 2019, after five years of discussion, Haiely’s Law went into effect.

Hailey’s Law requires the Amber Alert System to be integrated into the Missouri Uniform Law Enforcement System (MULES) to expedite the reporting of child abductions.
Since her murder, Craig Wood’s house was demolished and turned into a memorial garden for Hailey. The garden has everything from tomatoes to spinach.

The City of Springfield also rededicated a playground near Westport and named it Hailey’s Playground.

Back