• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Hundreds of people attended the private funeral service in honor of 4-year-old Maleah Davis.

Richardson Mortuary collected flowers, teddy bears and private messages of condolences ahead of the service at the Community Crossing Church.

The family tells ABC13 Eyewitness News that Mayor Sylvester Turner delivered a message on parents loving their children and what Maleah has taught the world.

Maleahs' mother, Brittany Bowens, released a single dove at the burial ceremony in honor of her daughter.

Maleah's biological father, Craig Davis, says all guests wore a pink bracelet with the words, "Maleah Lynn Davis" engraved. Only attendees with the bracelet were allowed to attend the service.

ABC13 Eyewitness News reporter Stefania Okolie, the only member of the media allowed to attend the funeral, shared a heartwarming message that was displayed in Maleah's obituary.

The message, which was written as though it came from the 4-year-old herself, said in part, "I enjoyed my life and I want to thank everyone who made me laugh, smile and love on you."

"At only four years old, I enjoyed school. I loved all my friends at Attitude, Respect and Manners Daycare. I would eagerly make new friends so that we could sing and laugh together everyday," the message read.

It continues, "I will always hug and sing with all my cousins and friends, I love you."

Maleah's obituary stuck to the theme of her "My Little Pony" casket, and featured the 4-year-old holding a colorful rose, and surrounded by her favorite characters.

Man, just a little overkill on that funeral flyer eh?

You can slap as many fucking rainbows, flowers, cartoon ponies and trite-ass fake quotes on that shit as you'd like. None of it changes the fact that this child led a painful, abusive life, was murdered, and then thrown away like literal garbage to decompose on the side of the road like a roadkill raccoon corpse.

I don't know why seeing this makes me so fucking furious, yet here we are. :mad:

Man, just a little overkill on that funeral flyer eh?

You can slap as many fucking rainbows, flowers, cartoon ponies and trite-ass fake quotes on that shit as you'd like. None of it changes the fact that this child led a painful, abusive life, was murdered, and then thrown away like literal garbage to decompose on the side of the road like a roadkill raccoon corpse.

I don't know why seeing this makes me so fucking furious, yet here we are. :mad:
the casket is a bit much, too.
maleah.JPG

This one pisses me off and the way she was found.. Damn thats so fucked up. And that bad acting lying bitch just might skate out of this with some lil charge. I dont understand why dcf was bent on reunification as if the only problem was a lack of supervision. Maleah was at the hospital throwing up some blood n she was lethargic. Then back at the hospital for stitches on her forehead. Then back in the hospital with a brain injury. July and August.. All within 3 weeks? What idiots couldnt see this was escalating abuse? And they sent her back.

Parents rights supersede what is in the best interest of their children.

Although this may not exactly fit the scenario in this case it shows that mother's right should be more of a priority than keeping a child safe.

On March 18, 2002, Judge Jack Weinstein dramatically changed New York policy towards victims of domestic abuse.8 With his sweeping decision in Nicholson v. Williams,9 he concluded that a mother’s inability to prevent her children from witnessing domestic violence does not in itself constitute neglect, and therefore cannot be the sole basis for an administrative agency’s removal of her children from their family home. The court found that administrative agencies in New York had perpetrated a number of wrongs against battered mothers, including failing to provide the necessary services to ensure the protection of the mothers and children, and “unnecessarily routinely prosecut[ing] mothers for neglect and remov[ing] their children where the mothers have been the victims of significant domestic violence, and where the mothers themselves have done nothing wrong.”11 This decision was subsequently upheld by the New York Court of Appeals, which held that merely witnessing violence does not rise to the level of neglect that automatically necessitates emergency removal, even though the emotional injury to a child that results from witnessing domestic violence can satisfy the definition of a “neglected child” and require the emergency removal of that child without a court order.12The plaintiffs’ circumstances in the Nicholson case were illustrative of the “flawed understanding of domestic violence”13 that permeated the child welfare system and prevented the appropriate treatment of mothers who were victims of domestic violence. This article explains the holdings of the Nicholson cases and explores why there are still instances where the practices of New York State’s Administration for Children’s Services (“ACS”) victimize mothers. ACS has changed its policies and practices in the past ten years and has made some improvement in holding abusers accountable. Nevertheless, ACS employees continue to regularly allege neglect against battered mothers, who are much easier targets. ACS still consistently fails to offer adequate services to victims of domestic violence before prosecuting them or removing their children. ACS employees are often too ready to judge victims and are frequently not equipped to make sensitive decisions.
[/URL]

A Harris County grand jury indicted Derion Vence for tampering with the body of four-year-old Maleah.

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg announced the indictment on Thursday.
[....]
The DA's office says when prosecutors receive a final autopsy report from the medical examiner’s office, that evidence will be considered as part of any decision regarding possible additional charges.
[....]

FULTON, Ark. (KSLA) - The Arkansas Highway Commission unanimously approved a proposal to rename a Hempstead County bridge in honor of Maleah Davis on Wednesday, advancing the planned memorial one step further.

Remains of the 4-year-old girl from Houston were found on the side of an I-30 exit ramp on May 31 in Fulton, prompting Hempstead County leaders and residents to call for a nearby bridge to be dubbed the “Maleah Davis Memorial Bridge.”

“This baby was left on the side of the road not 500 feet from [the bridge]. A cruel thing happened to her in our county,” says Sheriff James Singleton, who helped lead the renaming effort.

“Our county wants to remember this young child, bringing attention to keep your babies close."

Link

--Al

A Memorial Bridge named after her where she was dumped like garbage and destroyed. Bet that has a special place in her heart. That just goes to show you how out of touch and fucked up this whole situation has been from the beginning. She was beaten into brain damage and returned. Mom sucked dad sucked step dad sucked Grandma’s supervision sucked day care tried but still kind a sucked AND CPS SUCKED WITH A CAPITAL S U C K!!! Every single persons story in this scenario has been so hilariously bad if you were watching it on tv you’d think it was a joke. Yet here we are all this time later and not only has no one been charged with her murder, but we’re supposed to believe our country cares about children bc there’s a $50 fucking dollar sign “Maleah Memorial Bridge”.
Woo Fuckin Hoo

Last edited:
Maleah Davis' father, Craig Davis, lunged at the suspect in his daughter's death during a court appearance Friday, the Harris County District Attorney's Office confirmed.

Craig Davis and Derion Vence, 27, were in family court for a hearing when Davis jumped over the bar in an attempt to attack Vence.

The DA's office says deputies stopped Craig Davis from attacking Vence and that Davis will not be charged.

Jurors who will decide a custody battle are hearing about 4-year-old Maleah Davis’ death and the severe head injury she suffered before she died. It’s the trial for custody of Maleah’s older brother.

According to testimony, Maleah’s mom, Brittany Bowens, who has undergone extensive psychological assessments at the request of CPS, is in counseling and she’s asking for her mother to get custody of her 6-year-old son.

Bowens hasn’t had custody of her two sons since 4-year-old Maleah died last May and Bowens’ Fiance Derion Vince was charged.

In the custody battle now for Bowens’ 6-year-old son, a CPS caseworker testified Bowens “is not emotionally ready to take the kids.”

Bowens is asking for her son to be placed with her mother, Brenda Bowens, but the boy’s biological father, Craig Davis Jr., is seeking custody.

Bowens’attorney says Davis tested positive for marijuana last year, hasn’t consistently paid child support and should not get custody.

Davis’ attorney Julie Ketterman says he is negative for current drug use and Ketterman says Maleah suffered such a traumatic brain injury in 2018 she had to have a portion of her skull removed during the time she, her mom, her brothers and Derion Vince lived with the maternal grandmother.

That’s when CPS first became involved with the family and took custody of Maleah and her brothers for about six months. Maleah was killed about two months after CPS agreed to return Maleah to her mom.
Brittany Bowens’ younger son with Derion Vince lives with Vince’s mom.

Last edited:
Jurors heard four days of testimony in a custody case that pitted Maleah Davis's biological father Craig Davis against her maternal grandmother Brenda Bowen. Custody was granted to Bowen.

Attorneys for Bowen described her as a loving caring grandmother who has a stable home and is financially capable of caring for Maleah's 6-year-old brother.

That's something they say Craig Davis is not able to do. Davis was thrown out of the courtroom by the judge Thursday afternoon when he yelled an obscenity at the grandmother's attorney who said he had no idea how to be a dad.

Davis's attorney Julie Ketterman told jurors Bowen knew about Maleah's head injuries and other instances of abuse.

Bowen's attorney, Dennis Slate, told jurors this is not a case about Maleah's injuries, but who would be best to raise her brother.

"Both Brittany and Brenda Bowen are still both persons of interest in the criminal investigation," Ketterman said. "So we could be back here sooner rather than later."

An attorney representing the 6-year-old boy and an attorney representing CPS also wanted the grandmother to have custody of Maleah's brother.

Last edited:
Well that young man just blew his chances of ever getting custody of his son or primary guardian with that little stunt.. congrats for showing the real you at the right time.. a civilized dad would have asked for joint custody or an extended version of standard visitation.. again thank you asshole.. you truly didn't let your kid down..

A Texas medical examiner confirmed Monday the body of a small child found in a garbage bag in Arkansas was that of missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis.

Maleah’s remains were found Friday along I-30 in Hope by workers and transported to Houston for identification.

The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences was still determining the cause and manner of death, FOX26 Houston reported.

Last edited:
Derion Vence pleaded guilty Thursday to tampering with a corpse and injury to a child -- 4-year-old Maleah Davis -- and was sentenced to 40 years in prison, officials say.

Vence, 28, dated Maleah’s mother, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg’s Office said in a news release with an update about the case. Vence, Maleah and her little brother were all reported missing the morning of May 4, 2019. When Vence and Maleah’s brother showed up at a hospital late that night, Maleah was not with them. Her remains were found by the side of a road in Arkansas a month after she disappeared.

Maleah was being watched by Vence because her mother was out of state on a trip. Vence eventually told police he had been attacked by unknown men a day earlier while on his way to the airport to pick up the mother along with Maleah and his son. He said that when he woke up after the attack, Maleah was missing.

Officials said his story did not match up with surveillance video which showed his departure from the apartment with only his son. Ogg’s office noted that additional video review showed him leaving his apartment with a full garbage bag in a laundry basket.

Intentional injury to a child which causes serious injury by act or omission is a first degree felony. He was sentenced to 40 years for intentional injury to a child and 20 years for tampering with a corpse. Vence will serve the sentences concurrently.

Hi, everyone. I'm not going to attempt to interpret this or give it a bias, but I'll spotlight a comment that is relevant at this thread.

Can y'all stop editing my best friends granddaughter Maleah in her casket its extremely disrespectful and my friend and her daughter asked for that not to be done...

Again, I'm not exactly sure what's meant by this and will not agree nor disagree. I'm only factually stating that this is expressed sentiment by a person with experience toward the situation.

I know that many of you know this, but just want to remind anyone reading, DD member or not: friends, family, and even victims and suspects can and will sometimes see our threads and/or post in them; this is something that we all should be mindful of, without being afraid of the possibility.

She's a young one, so please be easy on her.

Last edited:
Back