• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Malodorous

Smells Bad
I've noticed over the last few days that some of the articles on the Front Page are loading in Mobile instead of Desktop mode, despite the fact I am using a computer not a cellphone. It does this in Firefox 12, Chrome, and Internet Explorer 9. Reloading the page doesn't fix it. It doesn't matter whether I click the article headline or the "Continue Reading" button on the FP.

Example:
http://www.dreamindemon.com/2012/05/10/parents-shave-girls-head-bad-grades-force-run-diaper/
The page title is "Dreamin' DemonParents Shave Girl's Head Over Bad Grades, Force Her Outside In Diaper - Stephanie Broten" (no space between "Demon" and the article headline.)
It renders as much of the page as will fit within the browser; I can scroll down about half a page but the remained is blank.

Loads:

Scrolling down:

I tried touching my laptop screen and pushing my finger around to see if I could scroll it that way, but nothing happened.

Last edited:
I got the the same thing and if press the comments there of the left side bar it throws me into a random blank page, where it's kinda funny cause people have commented there from 2011 about the page being blank.

Okay, the problem seems to be with the failing pages defaulting to an iPad theme, not a Mobile theme. The page content looks like it's loading inside a frame with deadspace below it, and using the mouse scroolwheel, browser scrollbar, or navigation keys (arrows/Home/PgUp/PgDn/End) all scrolls the entire page, while left-clicking within the frame/content and holding down the left mouse button while moving the mouse simulates dragging a fingertip across the screen and scrolls the content inside the frame.

At the bottom of the content within the frame is a toggle "iPad Theme ON|OFF" which is set to ON, and clicking OFF reloads the page in the same mode, with the same toggle status at the bottom. I tried this several times, and got the same result, then tried leftclicking ON and dragging right (attempting to slide the slider from ON to OFF, guessing that's what you'd do on an iPad...) which did nothing visually onscreen after I released the left button, but when I then clicked OFF it reloaded in normal Desktop mode. I refreshed the page, and navigated to the next article and navigated back via the previous article link, navigated to the main page and clicked the article link, and then restarted my browser and returned to the article - every time it loaded normally in Desktop mode.

For some reason, though, while it was stuck in iPad mode only the Twitter avatars after the comments section were displayed - the comments themselves all displayed the generic Disqus silhouette avatar. Once I managed to turn the iPad Theme off all the avatars loaded normally.

I've been scrolling all the way down and there's an option to turn off the iPad theme--when I do, it reverts the page to normal.

It IS annoying though. And I saw you figured that out already, but that's what I get for taking 20 minutes to post... and 30 more goddamned minutes to edit D<

Last edited:
Well, even if I do turn off the dang iPad theme, it still loads in the iPad thing. This really messes with me for I saw the article normal but go back to read it after work - it's in that crappy iPad format. Yes, I don't care for iPad, I have an android tablet I use from time to time. LOL

Back