• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Unamused Cat

Veteran Member
speedbumps.jpg

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Cathy Campbell did a double-take and tapped the brakes when she spotted what appeared to be a pointy-edged box lying in the road just ahead.

She got fooled.

It was a fake speed bump, a flat piece of blue, white and orange plastic that is designed to look like a 3-D pyramid from afar when applied to the pavement.

The optical illusion is one of the latest innovations being tested around the country to discourage speeding.

"It cautions you to slow down because you don't know what you are facing," Campbell said.

A smaller experiment two years ago in the Phoenix area found the faux speed bumps slowed traffic, at least temporarily.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hb3U74P04vLQuy0sH4BbIUlCYyBAD91IKPV80

Call me crazy, but puting something on the road that looks like you are gona crash into it if you dont break your car rigth fucking then and there, or do a huge swerve to try to avoid it, doesnt seem like the safest of accident prevention ideas to me.

And after people get used to em, then they become down rigth useless, what was wrong with the old small but still forcing you to slow down speed bumps again?

Wow, Thanks Waitin, I never figured speed bumps to be expensive "which can run $1,000 to $1,500" really? Thats just weird, I mean, you can just build a small hill of cement...

Back