• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Slaves commonly looked down on "poor white trash" just like everyone else did, because poor white trash was trifling and lazy.
The story of why southern whites were seen as "trifling and lazy" is amazing. A combination of the poor farming land, lack of proper sanitation, and a parasite caused a medical condition that actually made these people to be somewhat lethargic. This was a large public health issue that was not recognized until John D. Rockefeller sent a commission to the south to discover why many southern people were not as energetic as northern people to be as profitable as them. Rockefeller's teams discover the reason and, subsequently, a cure for the health crisis, which Rockefeller helped implement.

Here's a couple of articles about this almost forgotten public health crisis victory, but my favorite is a RadioLab segment.

RadioLab, the segment starts at 23:25 (RadioLab: Parasites)

The Rockefeller Foundation: Eradicating Hookworm

Also, a silent-movie era public service health announcement about implementing the eradication of hookworm and why, which I think is pretty cool:

Also, a short modern video:

Sorry for the history nerd treatment, I just find this stuff fascinating.

Saw something recently about hookworms; apparently one of the benefits of having them is suppression of allergic reactions. (Some) people are now purposely infesting themselves.

The story of why southern whites were seen as "trifling and lazy" is amazing. A combination of the poor farming land, lack of proper sanitation, and a parasite caused a medical condition that actually made these people to be somewhat lethargic. This was a large public health issue that was not recognized until John D. Rockefeller sent a commission to the south to discover why many southern people were not as energetic as northern people to be as profitable as them. Rockefeller's teams discover the reason and, subsequently, a cure for the health crisis, which Rockefeller helped implement.

Here's a couple of articles about this almost forgotten public health crisis victory, but my favorite is a RadioLab segment.

RadioLab, the segment starts at 23:25 (RadioLab: Parasites)

The Rockefeller Foundation: Eradicating Hookworm

Also, a silent-movie era public service health announcement about implementing the eradication of hookworm and why, which I think is pretty cool:

Also, a short modern video:

Sorry for the history nerd treatment, I just find this stuff fascinating.
Omg! You recommend that podcast to me last year and it was fascinating!

Y’all should listen, fa sho’

Saw something recently about hookworms; apparently one of the benefits of having them is suppression of allergic reactions. (Some) people are now purposely infesting themselves.
Its called Darwinian medicine and is more common than you'd think lol

There are actually multiple studies that are ongoing that involve whipworms solving some big immune related health problems. Crohns, psoriasis , even IBD. They've also used whipworms for allergy studies. One study thats particularly interesting is for type 1 diabetes. The whipworms don't just cure type 1 diabetes..they prevent it from happening all together.

Back