• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Britefutr

18-month old Darby Hodges and 4-year old Kiera Pulaski within 12 weeks of one another. The Mother and stepfather are going on Dr Phil today.

[..]
Authorities could find no wrongdoing and left the cause of each death undetermined.
(the grandmother) said she was worried about the safety of the children even before their deaths.
[...]
Police investigations of both deaths have been reinvigorated and she hopes she'll soon know why — and specifically how — both children died.
At the time of the deaths, the (sic) Darby and Kiera were in the custody of their mother and her then-boyfriend, Codey Cummings. The children's mother, Julia Savage Hodges, was married to but separated from Cheryl Hodges' son, Tom. Julia Hodges is now married to Cummings.
[...]
Julia and Tom Hodges split in March 2010. Darby was found dead June 27, 2010, and Kiera died Sept. 17, 2010, after Julia Hodges and Cummings moved to Republic, about 15 miles from Springfield in southwestern Missouri.
The children had different fathers. Julia Hodges gave birth to Kiera before she and Tom Hodges got married. Darby was born to the couple soon after.
[...]
are appearing together May 5 and 6 on Dr. Phil.
Darby died of an undetermined cause in an undetermined manner, according to comments from the Kalispell medical examiner in his autopsy report. He had multiple contusions and abrasions on his head, mild brain swelling and two broken ribs.
Kiera's "adult guardians" said she had fallen in the bathroom when she lost her footing, according to the Greene County, Mo., medical examiner's report.
That autopsy showed a "large subdural hematoma," or collection of blood on the brain, which the medical examiner noted didn't appear to match the explanation of Kiera's fall.
"This was a significant degree of trauma and appears disproportionate to fall as describe in the narrative," the doctor wrote. The report a
"This is suggestive of but not conclusive for possible abusive treatment," the report said. "The manner of death is, pending additional information, inconclusive."
1398461556000-042514Tom-Hodges-and-kids.jpg

Tom Hodges, Kiera Pulaski, Darby Hodges

The Republic Police Department began investigating Kiera's death the day she died, and an officer said Wednesday that the investigation is ongoing almost four years after the death.
Lt. Mark Wilcox of the Republic police said the department knew Darby had died a few months before Kiera.
"The circumstances surrounding the death of the two children had various similarities," Wilcox said in an e-mailed statement. "The case is still an active investigation and will remain as such until all leads have been exhausted."
[...]

1398461786001-042414Gravestones.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/25/grandchildren-deaths-montana-missouri/8164677/

Last edited:
Darby died of an undetermined cause in an undetermined manner, according to comments from the Kalispell medical examiner in his autopsy report. He had multiple contusions and abrasions on his head, mild brain swelling and two broken ribs.

...really???

Not really sure why there was no arrest if Darby's injuries were obviously not accidental (fall, etc) ...

I'm watching the Dr Phil episode... I just had to
their consulting pathologist, Cyril Wecht, just ripped them apart. he basically stated that the autopsies were very well done and the children did not die of a casual accident. He laid it out very well.

I looks like the cops just didn't investigate it well.
the mother is shocked and visibly upset, but she still refuses to accept it. She even tried to blame vaccines. the stepdad is just sitting there emotionless.

found info that the cases are both considered still open and under investigation. Now states that the police are going to ask the FBI for assistance reviewing the cases. Hallelujah.

Why did they go on the Dr. Phil show in the first place? :shrug:
That was my first question. WFT? why would you go on Dr. Phil?
the bio dad and grandmother have been accusing the mom and stepdad for years, have a FB page with their pics stating "we are baby killers", stuff like that.
so the mom and stepdad state that they are there to "set the record straight" and stop the harassment. They both refused to take a polygraph again today.

this sounds like a soap opera and it was impossible for me to keep track of who was married to who,etc. It could be that it is almost midnight here.It is sad that these babies died and no one was found responsible.

Dr Wecht is one of the best; he's the guy who writes the forensic pathology textbooks that most MEs around the world study.

And seriously, more "we lost our babies but it's totally not our fault" Cummingses?! I'm starting to think the surname Cummings must translate to "dumb scumbag baby-killers" in some ancient dialect.

I'm starting to think the surname Cummings must translate to "dumb scumbag baby-killers" in some ancient dialect.

My son has a double last name, Cummings is one of them(i was following mexican tradition, k?)...luckily MY son wont even kill an insect much less a human(hes 19yo btw) but his everyone ive met from the Cummings side are all fuckups...not a one of them is a member of the "clean criminal record club"

A couple formerly on the Dr. Phil Show and sought in a Missouri cold case for the deaths of two toddlers were arrested on Monday.

The couple, 35-year-old Codey Cummings and 32-year-old Julia Cummings, have been sought since the deaths of Cummings’ two children, Kiera and Darby. The two toddlers died three months apart under suspicious circumstances.

According to USA Today, the medical examiner wrote Darby died of an undetermined cause and manner. The autopsy concluded he had multiple contusions and abrasions on his head, mild brain swelling and two broken ribs.

According to Kiera’s autopsy, her “adult guardians” said she had fallen in the bathroom when she lost her footing. That autopsy showed a “large subdural hematoma,” or collection of blood on the brain, which the medical examiner noted didn’t appear to match the explanation of Kiera’s fall. “This was a significant degree of trauma and appears disproportionate to fall as describe in the narrative.” Also revealed were a series of bruises on the chin, shoulders and back, and scars on the leg.

I don't know why, but it struck me as really odd that both gravestones reference Daddy (but no Mommy). Even though the children have separate fathers.

What are the chances of that?

Not that this is any kind of scientific research, or anything, but when I Google children's headstone inscriptions and look at pictures there is either zero mention of the parents, or reference to both ("we" love you, in "our" hearts, love mommy and daddy, etc).

I see her mugshot and she looks like an empty shell of a terrible, mean human being, so you kind of have to wonder if that was an intentional slight.

She does look horrid in the photo but looked better on the Dr. Phil interview. This couple is ridiculously claiming innocence despite all logic. You can't kill 2 children like this and play ostrich. They thought they were smarter than everyone else but the time has come to fess up. Child murdering assholes.

Daaaaamn, she looked ten years older than me back in 2014 and we are the same age. Now she looks about 20 years older.

This proves that it's healthier to drink, smoke, not wear sunblock, and have skin disorders over having children. Children WILL kill you slowly. This is self defense.

Back