• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Not sure if this would qualify as new or should be posted under older case Steubenville Rape Case

A judge has decided that a man convicted of rape as a teen in a highly publicized Ohio case will be temporarily reinstated to a college football team.

U.S. District Judge Benita Pearson granted Ma'lik Richmond, of Steubenville, a temporary restraining order against Youngstown State University, allowing him to play football for the next 14 days.

She has scheduled a preliminary hearing for an injunction September 28.

Richmond filed a federal lawsuit against the university Wednesday after the school allowed him to join the football team as a walk-on and then told him he couldn't play this season.

He's seeking reinstatement to the team's active roster along with attorney fees and an unspecified amount of damages.

Youngstown State attorneys spoke in court Thursday but declined further comment.

Richmond was 16 when he and a Steubenville High School teammate digitally penetrated a drunk, underage girl after attending a string of parties in the Ohio town in August 2012.

He spent 10 months of a juvenile detention center after being found guilty of rape at the end of a highly publicized trial and then quietly slipped out of the public eye while the national debate of campus rape and rape culture intensified.

Now 21, he attends Youngstown State University where he was recruited to play for their football team. But Richmond was told he couldn't play this season after a female student circulated a petition asking that he be kept off the team.

Richmond served less than a year in a juvenile lockup after he and Steubenville High School teammate Trent May were convicted in 2013 of raping the 16-year-old girl during an alcohol-fueled party.

He was released in January 2014 and subsequently attended colleges in West Virginia and Pennsylvania before transferring to Youngstown State in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore.

Richmond and his legal guardians spoke with YSU President Jim Tressel and football coach Bo Pelini about him joining the team and both were supportive, the lawsuit said. Richmond made the team as walk-on defensive end in January.

According to the lawsuit, Richmond excelled during Youngstown State's spring game and was told by Pelini he would play this season and would be a big help to the team.

Pelini told the Youngstown Vindicator newspaper that he alone decided to allow Richmond to join the team after conducting his own investigation.

The day after the August 4 article, a female student at Youngstown State began circulating a petition calling for the school to not allow Richmond to play football.

Youngstown State subsequently issued a statement in a university-wide email that said the school 'takes the matter of sexual assault very seriously' and that Richmond would be allowed to continue practicing with the team but would lose a year of eligibility.

Richmond became 'despondent' after learning of the email and quit the team, prompting Pelini, a position coach and three players to travel to Steubenville. The lawsuit said Pelini apologized to Richmond and told him he had the skills to play in the National Football League.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4886454/The-Latest-Judge-allows-rape-convict-play-
football.html

I am honestly interested in everyone's opinion in this matter. Is it fair to continue to punish a young man that has already been tried, convicted and served his time or should he have to accept that others feel he does not deserve to play football.

If the school re-instates him and he assaults another female or is accused of doing so; what is the school's liability?

Last edited:
I would feel differently about it if he'd been convicted of a "victimless" crime. You can do the time, but you cannot get back the trust of the community after a serious crime like rape. Get your freaking degree on line where you're less likely to hurt someone. It's not like you're actually interested in the academics while you're entertaining thoughts of playing for the NFL after college.

I am honestly interested in everyone's opinion in this matter. Is it fair to continue to punish a young man that has already been tried, convicted and served his time or should he have to accept that others feel he does not deserve to play football.

We can have rehabilitation in jails for youths ... or we can scrap the whole thing. What we shouldn't do is make a youth go through a program if we don't believe in it or support the positive outcomes.

If this was an adult i might have a whole other opinion.

Last edited:
We can have rehabilitation in jails for youths ... or we can scrap the whole thing. What we shouldn't do is make a youth go through a program if we don't believe in it or support the positive outcomes.

If this was an adult i might have a whole other opinion.
This times 100
[doublepost=1505505478,1505505143][/doublepost]Interesting.

There seems to be a lot of twists and turns. And trouble with this family.
http://www.dreamindemon.com/communi...oom-judge-returned-fire-killed-suspect.90734/

ently the victim has been somewhat threatened and i think this is the little bitch that is suing, no, he deserves to be made an example out of so the next jock keeps it in his pocket unless it is completely overtly consensual and above age anyone want to see let alone play with his little ding a ling [why that song is going through my head over this I don't know]

And trouble with this family.

It says he has a guardian ... so you're probably right.
[doublepost=1505510325,1505510161][/doublepost]
he deserves to be made an example out of so the next jock keeps it in his pocket

He went to jail ... and wants too play foot ball instead of say ... rob banks ... or sell drugs ... I'm going with this kid is already living up to what it means to be a good example ... people make mistakes ... they pay for them ... his obligations are full filled .. what more do you want from him ... ???

This times 100
[doublepost=1505505478,1505505143][/doublepost]Interesting.

There seems to be a lot of twists and turns. And trouble with this family.
http://www.dreamindemon.com/communi...oom-judge-returned-fire-killed-suspect.90734/

Thank you for the link maybe this should be merged with that post so that people could get a better understanding of this young man and the background of the case.

I might root for the young man more if he would have seemed sorry for what he did. He just comes across as entitled and that others should just forgive him.

I want to thank everyone who replied.

better understanding of this young man and the background of the case.

Okay ... So now you want me to damn the kid for having shitty parents ... i'm not Korea.

This kid is a walking talking good example of rehabilitation and transformation.

And kids like him and people like you are why I left social work and am heading towards HVAC.

It's a tough call. He did his time. He was 16. I think he's at an age where he can become something good if he works really hard at it. If football is his outlet, then he should be allowed to play.

He was tried and convicted. He did what he was supposed to do and now he wants to do what he's expected to do. And even better if he gets educated in the process.

I understand the girl not wanting him around. On the same token, she doesn't have to go the games. And if she does, she doesn't have to talk to him. She can avoid him entirely. Taking away what he loves to do is like double punishment. It very well could take a disastrous turn if his life is taken away.

I probably shouldn't have posted that bit about his dad. Because I know children can't help what their parents do.
I say let him play ball. Everyone needs a job/career. If this is what he's good at, then let him do it.

I probably shouldn't have posted that bit about his dad. Because I know children can't help what their parents do.
I say let him play ball. Everyone needs a job/career. If this is what he's good at, then let him do it.

i always like your responses because they are honest and thoughtful. Do you know about the rape that involved Corey Batey? I feel what he did was more egregious and that he is not remorseful of what he did to the young women he assaulted.

i always like your responses because they are honest and thoughtful. Do you know about the rape that involved Corey Batey? I feel what he did was more egregious and that he is not remorseful of what he did to the young women he assaulted.
First of all, thank you. Because I know sometimes I'm just down right silly.

I dont want to make light of this rape case, but, if I remember correctly he and a friend fingered (digitally penetrated) a drunk passed out female. In no way do I want to convey that that is okay.
But as lith said , he was convicted and paid his debt. We have to let him back into society. If playing ball is what he's good at, then let him play ball. If he wasn't going to be allowed to play ball then the judge should have made that one of his conditions. I don't really see why he shouldn't play. Other than people who are not judges are trying to prolong his punishment.

He paid his debt to society that the justice system called for that was fair.
Fuck the petition and the bitches looking for trouble.

To
Thank you for the link maybe this should be merged with that post so that people could get a better understanding of this young man and the background of the case.

I might root for the young man more if he would have seemed sorry for what he did. He just comes across as entitled and that others should just forgive him.

I want to thank everyone who replied.
me this link just proves that this is a man who obviously has been raised in a family with no positive guidance nor any direction. Now this young man has guardians which means he is now taking different steps and wants to change his life or at least try to do some positive. Biologically at 16 no young peoples own brains decision making area has even fully developed yet. Not saying someone doesnt or shouldnt know right from wrong but I remember myself at that age and the stupid shit I did and THEN to add alcohol, holy hell world you're all lucky I didnt cause World War 3 (just kidding, def an over exaggeration) but still I know majority of the stupid decisions I made I now know looking back as an adult view and definitely think differently and for sure would be more rational and smart enough to do things differently if not exact opposite. That is what happens through the transition of being an adolescent to becoming an adult. Even our own God or gods know, understand and display forgiveness of sins. Now someone made a comment about if it was an adult the view would be diff and in some actually many I agree. Some people should already know better, and also a repeat offender obviously is broken and is unwilling to learn. Here we have a young man whose life had to already go so far as to need legal guardianship instead of his own family being responsible enough. Give this kid a chance cause if you dont chances are him realizing positive wise and legally trying hes been shut down by society even I myself might say fuck it, criminal world here I come. Lol jk.

Back