• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

nikk077

Sheryl Coe (Hardy) gave birth to Bradley on June 6, 1987. She claims he was conceived when she was raped. While pregnant, she moved to Florida where she met Thomas Coe who was living in his truck at the time. They struck up a relationship and moved in together. When Bradley was 4 months old, the couple left him at a mall with a pretzel vendor.

Bradley was placed in foster care with “Kipâ€￾ Liles. Bradley was happy with Ms. Liles. He flourished and she loved him. While Bradley was in foster care, Sheryl married Thomas Coe and they had a daughter. About two years later when Sheryl learned that the foster family wanted to adopt Bradley, she petitioned for custody and won. Sixty Six days after Bradley was returned to his mother and stepfather, he was dead.

At 2 years old, Bradley was ready for potty training. All parents know that this a trying time and patience is needed but all of our kids are out of diapers so we know that eventually the parents will prevail and the toddler will graduate from diapers eventually. Sheryl and Thomas did not have patience. On July 27, 1989, Bradley had an accident. Thomas was so enraged that he lifted him by his feet and repeatedly slammed his head into the toilet bowl. While he was doing this, Sheryl sat on the edge of the tub, lit a cigarette and watched. After he suffered through that torture, they took him into the living room where they both beat him with couch cushions until he collapsed. He died the next day of head injuries.

Thomas Coe admitted to abusing Bradley. This is not a hard pill to swallow, he was the stepfather. We see stories like this every day with stepfathers beating their stepchildren. What we can’t fathom, no matter how many times we read it, is the mother standing idly by while it happens. What is harder yet is when the mother participates. Sheryl also admitted to abusing Bradley. The abuse she heaped onto her baby boy was atrocious. She admitted to unthinkable acts after she was arrested. Things that no one would have known about if she hadn’t of spoken up. She claims that her husband was responsible for the worse part of the abuse Bradley suffered while admitting to using a garden hose to clean him up after he had an accident, making him eat his own feces with a fork and shaking him violently. She has stated “I know it was gross," Hardy told the Chicago Tribune in a recent interview. "I know it was harsh. That's something I see when I close my eyes." She has no sympathy from me.

Sheryl was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Thomas was sentenced to life in prison.

Here’s the amazing part…Sheryl was released after 9 years due to overcrowding. She gave birth to a boy that was taken 1 day after birth. She married Randy Hardy and in November 2001 she petitioned for custody of her son and WON! She was living in St. Louis at the writing of the last article that I found (2001).

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/112501/new_1125010001.shtml

http://www.sptimes.com/News/112401/TampaBay/Slain_boy_s_mother_ha.shtml

http://www.imorial.com/brad/

The links are all similar. I am attaching them for reference purposes. There is also info in the articles about the action that was taken with Social workers, etc.
I looked to see if Bradleys story was posted here and I didn’t see it. If it was posted previously, I apologize. I tried to keep this from looking like a word wall, it's my first post. Go easy on me.

I’m wondering, are there any DD sleuths out there that can dig up any more information on Sheryl and where she is currently and how her son is doing? Everything that I have found is from Google and is all old articles.

It appears as if Sheryl and Randy are still together and living in Greenfield, Illinois. She is now 48.

They were sued by Harris Bank Barrington in 8/2004 - 2004 LM 000030 D 001 - Apparently they are not earning a living where a regular pay check is involved because the creditor has been unable to collect their judgment with a wage garnishment. The amount owed is $6,397.00 – and it appears that either Randy or Sheryl worked at Wal-Mart at least in 2007.

They also have a $15,000 + tak lien on their property
She has a few aka’s:
• HARDY, SHERYL D
• HARDY, DARLENE S
• HARDEE, SHERAYL D

That is all I can find - we can pray that Billy Hardy is safe, happy and alive. I wonder what the kid will think when he finds out his Mom killed his big brother?

Thank you for the update Miss A! I couldn't find anything on Billy and also wonder what he thinks or if he knows. Sheryl also had 2 other daughters but they were successfully taken from her and as far as I can tell, she never tried to get them back. I wonder what made her fight for Bradley (just to kill him) and then fight for Billy but let the girls go.

I was appalled at the decision made by the judge to give her custody of Billy. I don't understand what would prompt a judge to return him to her after killing one son and giving up 2 daughters. I hope Billy is well and happy. I hope he is never touched by the evil that is within his mother.

Thanks again for looking!

I get so fucken pissed at the moms/dads who stand around and do nothing! Sometimes I hate the bio parent more than the step parent who committed the crime. I wanna beat her ass then sit and smoke a cig!

Why the hell take a child out of their happy, healthy home only to kill the poor baby two months later?

There's a special place in hell (or my basement) for these assholes.

The man convicted of an infamous 1989 murder of a 2-year-old in a toilet bowl will have his first parole hearing.

The possible release of 46-year-old Thomas Coe will be considered by the Florida Parole Commission on Wednesday. Coe received a life sentence in the death of stepson Bradley McGee in Polk County.

Coe's then-wife testified that she stood by while Coe punished the boy for soiling his pants by lifting him by his ankles and repeatedly slamming him head-first into a toilet bowl.

Bradley died the next day of head injuries. A medical examiner counted more than 90 cuts and bruises on the boy.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...man-convicted-of-toddler-murder-up-for-parole

When 2-year-old Bradley McGee was murdered by his stepfather in 1989, his death reverberated through the state's social services system and the Legislature like a lightning bolt.

Case workers were prosecuted; administrators fired; and Thomas Coe, the boy's stepfather, dodged the death penalty when a judge sentenced him to life in prison for Bradley's death.

On Wednesday, the Florida Parole Commission will consider whether Coe, 46, should be released in 2029, rather than spend the rest of his life behind bars for repeatedly plunging Bradley headfirst into a toilet.

And 10th Judicial State Attorney Jerry Hill will be there in Tallahassee, arguing Coe should never see freedom again.

"This is not simply another murder case," he said last week. "This child was savagely murdered, and I think I would be remiss if I wasn't there to point that out to the Parole Commission."

Hill said he generally sends prosecutors from his office to parole hearings on murder cases, but he felt this one commanded his presence.

"All first-degree murders are significant," he said, "but this was such a horrible homicide that it does stand out."

Kip Liles, Bradley's shelter mother, said she agrees that Bradley's death was horrific, but she's not as certain the Parole Commission should take a hard line on Coe.

"There's no doubt he killed Braddy, and I don't know that he should breathe a breath of freedom again," she said last week. "But on the other hand, I almost hate to see him stay in prison when I feel that Sheryl (his wife and Bradley's mother) did 99 percent of the abuse that Braddy suffered.

"If he's released, it won't devastate me like it did when Sheryl got out after just nine years. She's the devil in all this."

Sheryl Coe was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder, and she was released in 1999 after serving nine years. She divorced Coe while they were in prison. She moved to the Midwest after she getting out as one of the prisoners released to relieve prison overcrowding.
[...]

On July 27, 1989, Coe grabbed Bradley by his ankles and repeatedly dunked him headfirst into a toilet because he had soiled his pants. The punishment left Bradley hopelessly brain damaged, and he was disconnected from life support the next day.

A year later, during his first-degree murder trial, Coe told jurors he wouldn't call his stepson's death a murder.

"I think murder is the wrong word to use because it was not intentional," he stated matter-of-factly. "His death was not planned."

Coe, then 23, testified he became angry when Bradley defecated in his pants, and Sheryl made it worse by demanding that he do something about it.

"It made me even madder," he said.

Coe stripped the child down, hosed him off in the yard of their Lakeland home and dunked him in the toilet. He and his pregnant 19-year-old wife then forced Bradley into a cold shower, and after the boy staggered into the living room, they continued to hit him with pillows until he collapsed on the floor in convulsions.

"I thought it would get him to think before doing it the next time," Coe testified in 1990.
[...]

Bradley's death culminated a litany of tragic decisions that authorities later said could have saved his life, had the case been handled differently. Those issues included:

State child protection workers who failed to document complaints that Bradley was being abused. One caseworker, Margaret Barber, would be convicted and sentenced to three years' probation for her handling of the case.

A legal system that emphasized family reunification over the best interest of the child.

A lack of adequate funding for the state's child protection program.

Bradley's case brought sweeping changes to the state child-protection program, including the Legislature's commitment of $48 million to the effort and new laws bearing Bradley McGee's name that favor the child's welfare over family reunification.
[...]

Now, Coe's parole report from Feb. 26 is recommending he should be released in 16 years.

The report shows he's been a houseman, a boiler man and a groundskeeper while in prison, and he's received satisfactory evaluations for his performance in those duties. He's had two disciplinary reports in his 23 years behind bars -- one in 1999 for possession of a weapon and another in 2002 for disobeying orders, according to the parole report.

Coe remains in close custody at Columbia Correctional Institution in Lake City, where he was interviewed in February by a state parole examiner.

"He stated he was young and dumb when the offense was committed," wrote Parole Examiner Johnnie Sheffield. "He would like to be released on parole."
[...]

Unlike his ex-wife's sentence, Coe's life term carries a minimum mandatory 25-year sentence, which means he won't be eligible for parole for two more years. But state parole administrators routinely begin reviewing these cases before the mandatory terms expire, parole officials said.

The projected date is a recommendation, and the Parole Commission has the final decision on release dates.
http://www.theledger.com/article/20130414/NEWS/304145024

The man convicted in the 1989 murder of a 2-year-old who was repeatedly dunked head-first into a toilet won't be eligible for parole for another 71 years, the Florida Parole Commission decided on Wednesday — essentially guaranteeing he will die in prison.

The commission set a "presumptive release date" for 46-year-old Thomas Coe in July 2084. He will be 117.

"We'll be calling him Methuselah by then," said State Attorney Jerry Hill, whose office prosecuted Coe. But Hill also warned that the commission can next revisit the case in 2019 and theoretically could make the release date earlier.
[...]

Samantha Campbell, Bradley's now 37-year-old foster sister, handed out blue teddy bears to parole commissioners while family friend Dorine Parsons showed a framed portrait of the tow-headed toddler.

Coe "should never see daylight outside of razor wire," Parsons said, crying. "That baby had no one to help him, no one to protect him. (Coe) has never said he was sorry. He's shown no remorse."
[...]

Hill, the top prosecutor for central Florida's 10th Judicial Circuit, called it his "saddest case." He explained that earlier on the day of Bradley's death, Coe had been angry over not having a clean shirt to wear to a job interview.
[...]

Sheryl Hardy, who testified she smoked a cigarette nearby while Coe attacked her son, was convicted of second-degree murder.

She was sentenced to 30 years in prison and was released after serving nine years. Hardy reportedly now lives in Illinois with her current husband and other child.
http://www.timesunion.com/news/crim...er-murderer-will-remain-in-prison-4440345.php

It appears as if Sheryl and Randy are still together and living in Greenfield, Illinois. She is now 48.

They were sued by Harris Bank Barrington in 8/2004 - 2004 LM 000030 D 001 - Apparently they are not earning a living where a regular pay check is involved because the creditor has been unable to collect their judgment with a wage garnishment. The amount owed is $6,397.00 – and it appears that either Randy or Sheryl worked at Wal-Mart at least in 2007.

They also have a $15,000 + tak lien on their property
She has a few aka’s:
• HARDY, SHERYL D
• HARDY, DARLENE S
• HARDEE, SHERAYL D

That is all I can find - we can pray that Billy Hardy is safe, happy and alive. I wonder what the kid will think when he finds out his Mom killed his big brother?

Billy knows about r mom killing r brother.

[QUState
Thank you for the update Miss A! I couldn't find anything on Billy and also wonder what he thinks or if he knows. Sheryl also had 2 other daughters but they were successfully taken from her and as far as I can tell, she never tried to get them back. I wonder what made her fight for Bradley (just to kill him) and then fight for Billy but let the girls go.

I was appalled at the decision made by the judge to give her custody of Billy. I don't understand what would prompt a judge to return him to her after killing one son and giving up 2 daughters. I hope Billy is well and happy. I hope he is never touched by the evil that is within his mother.

Thanks again for looking!

She had no choice with me and my sister. She had my sister in prison. They have me to my dad's family and then I went into foster care and was adopted. I'm glad that she didn't raise me but I met her and my dad. My dad is a wonderful man but Sheryl it's the demon

OTE="nikk077, post: 491446, member: 1645"]Thank you for the update Miss A! I couldn't find anything on Billy and also wonder what he thinks or if he knows. Sheryl also had 2 other daughters but they were successfully taken from her and as far as I can tell, she never tried to get them back. I wonder what made her fight for Bradley (just to kill him) and then fight for Billy but let the girls go.

Thanks again for looking![/QUOTE]

The fuck? How did I miss this story?
Head first into a toilet? 2 years old?
Demons, indeed.

Back