• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jessiesgirl1108

Chameleon
Two employees of an unlicensed north Baton Rouge day care center were arrested Friday after a 22-month-old child was found dead in a facility vehicle, forgotten there by the employees, police said.

Shelia Newman, 47, and April Wright, 26, were both booked into East Baton Rouge Parish prison on counts of negligent homicide. Newman, who owns the day care at 6345 Prescott Road, also was booked on an obstruction of justice count for instructing Wright to lie to police about where the child was found, according to police.

[...]

The child, 22-month-old Angel Green, was found in a van about two hours after Newman and Wright drove 15 children, including Green, to lunch at the nearby Jehovah Ministry, police said.

When they returned, the women reportedly thought all of the children were unloaded, according to the affidavits for their arrest.

While the children were taking a nap, the police reports say, Newman left the center to pick up two more children, with Green apparently still inside the vehicle. Newman left again to run errands after dropping off the other two children, then returned and parked the van at her home, 6330 Prescott Road, which is across the street from the day care, according to the affidavits.

It wasn’t until the children awoke from naps after the second trip that day care center workers realized Green was missing. She was located unresponsive in the vehicle, the affidavits state.

[...]

Newman told Wright to lie to police and tell them she found Green in the backyard, and to pour water on the back steps to make it look like she had cleaned up vomit, according to the warrant for their arrests.

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/12576281-123/police-baton-rouge-day-care

The child, 22-month-old Angel Green, was found in a van about two hours after Newman and Wright drove 15 children, including Green

Newman left the center to pick up two more children, with Green apparently still inside the vehicle. Newman left again to run errands after dropping off the other two children,
Um, wouldn't she have had to help the other children out of the van? Wouldn't she have then seen that there was another child in there?

Admittedly, I don't "get" how people forget children in cars as a Mom but I do understand the changes in routines, etc., that contribute to it, I can wrap my head around that but I can't get all the way to accidentally leaving a child in a vehicle. That said, I certainly don't understand how you load and unload multiple children from a vehicle and repeatedly overlook 1, I don't get it.

Yea how the fuck do you overlook a almost 2 year old child when there's a mess of other children and you obviously have to look back sometimes to drive...
I think they had it out for that little one.

If the baby was in the vehicle while they were driving it around, wouldn't the vehicle have the AC on while the other kids were loading and unloading, and they say the total time was only 2 hours, I know it gets hot fast and kids can die pretty fast but only 2 hours, with part of that time the vehicle moving and AC on? I think there's more to this story than they have told. Or maybe I just want these women tied to a stake and fried.

Feb 24, 2017

A former daycare owner was sentenced to two years in prison during an emotionally-charged hearing Friday in the 2015 death of a 22-month-old girl left unattended on a hot summer day in a van across the street from the unlicensed north Baton Rouge facility

Shelia Newman, 49, who once again tearfully apologized to the mother of Angel Gabrielle Green, will be on active supervised probation for five years after her release from prison and must pay Joy Green more than $6,000 in funeral expenses and daycare costs, state District Judge Lou Daniel ordered.

Newman also must perform 300 hours of community service and have no contact with Joy Green, who said in a blistering victim impact statement that she wants nothing to do with Newman.

Green said it has been pure torture since her fourth child died at such a young age under such horrible circumstances. She said she still looks for Angel in the back seat of her car, and fixes plates of food for four children.

"I still don't sleep. I still just don't understand how did you forget Angel?" Green asked during her statement inside Daniel's courtroom. "What were you doing? How were you so busy that you couldn't take two minutes to check?"

Newman, who sobbed during her own statement, asked Green for forgiveness, apologized to her and said she prays for the Green family.

"This has been unbearable," Newman said, noting that she has been seeking counseling. "This is something I have to live with for the rest of my life. I take full responsibility."

But Green, who spoke in court immediately after Newman, said Newman lied to her from the very beginning by purporting to run a licensed daycare center on Prescott Road and then calling her on June 5, 2015, to say Angel had fainted and passed out.

Green said her worst fears were realized after she rushed to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.

"The doctor walked in and said the worst two words of my life: 'I'm sorry,'" she recalled.

Green said she eventually learned that her daughter was not found in her carseat but in the front passenger seat of the van, which indicates to Green that Angel crawled to the front of the van.

"She cried until she died," Green said. "Angel suffered before she died. She was hot. She was sweating. She was screaming, and nobody heard."
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/courts/article_94d32236-f9ee-11e6-b984-fb983089e4d6.html
5751a2de394a2.image.jpg

She was probably fussy... probably.
Maybe she wasn't taken out of fbe van because she was keeping fbe other children from napping.
They left her on purpose.

Her death wasnt intentional....but it happened.
I'm sorry for everyone involved.

On Sunday I left a 10 oz bottle of water in my car that was parked in my friend's yard in full sun for about 4 hours. The 15 minute drive home in the car was almost unbearable even with the air on full blast. I grabbed the bottle of water to take in with me and had to hold it by the hard plastic top because the bottle was too hot to hold by the soft clear plastic part. I checked the temp of the water with a meat thermometer and it registered just shy of 140 degrees. Why do people not understand that babies die in this?

Back