• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A Virginia man who worked in a traveling carnival confessed last week to the murders of two women and one teenage girl in Tennessee and Georgia, police said.

James Michael Wright, 23, was arrested Thursday and charged with three counts of capital murder in the deaths of the two missing Tennessee women and a 17-year-old Georgia girl, the Washington County Virginia Sheriff’s office said.

Sheriff Fred Newman said he was contacted by the Johnson City Tennessee Police Department two weeks ago in order to set up an interview with Wright because authorities believed he was the last person to have contact with 25-year-old Athina Hopson, who had been reported missing March 21 by her mother.

During an initial interview with the suspect, police said they gathered enough evidence to obtain a search warrant for Wright’s truck, in which they recovered Hopson’s cell phone.

On May 9, the sheriff’s department said Wright came into the office and confessed to killing Hopson and two other women.

He allegedly told police during a subsequent interview that, on or around February 28, he shot and killed 22-year-old Elizabeth Marie Vanmeter of Carter County, Tenn. He also confessed to shooting 17-year-old Joslyn M. Alsup of Cobb County, Ga., on or around March 9, authorities said.

Wright reportedly told police where the bodies were located and searches on May 10 resulted in the discovery of remains believed to be those of Vanmeter and Alsup. One of the bodies was found in a shallow grave, the other near some logs, authorities said.

Police have yet to locate the body of Hopson, which allegedly fell out of Wright's truck and “rolled down an embankment” near a bridge on Norkye Road. Wright then placed her body in the river, officials said.

Wright, who works as a sub-contracted employee for the James H. Drew Carnival, allegedly met the women through his work, authorities said. One of the victims, Alsup, was the daughter of one of Wright’s coworkers.

Wright is being held without bail in the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail.

Last edited:
The victims:

full
Athina Hopson, 25; Elizabeth Marie Vanmeter, 22; and Joslyn M. Alsup,17

And an update:
The mother of a Georgia teenager who was killed in March by a traveling carnival worker claims she saw “creepy” messages between the two about marriage and warned her daughter to stay away.

Cynthia Butterworth claims that she met accused killer James Michael Wright, 23, last year at the North Georgia State Fair in Cobb County when he offered her daughter, 17-year-old Joslyn Alsup, free horse rides, she told WXIA in an interview.

Butterworth said after that encounter, she discovered “creepy” messages on social media between the pair in which Wright told the teen, “I will marry you.”

“I’m like, ‘that’s just creepy.’ I told her not to have anything to do with him anymore, and as far as I know, she didn’t.”

Link

--Al

Those poor women. One looks like an apparition. The other looks like she's hungry. And the last looks like a boy who plays little league T-ball
Quite the eclectic collection of victims. Almost Exactly like it was whoever was convenient, with no selection process. I agree with @Keepalowprofile, he doesn't deserve to be called "serial killer."

Back