• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Mitchell woman has pleaded guilty to one county of felony child abuse related to a house fire that caused the death of her 6-year-old daughter in April.

Ayla Barna, 25, pleaded guilty to one count of child abuse and cruelty to a minor less than 7-years-old stemming from the deadly April 23 house fire during felony court proceedings at the Davison County Public Safety Center.

In July, Barna initially pleaded not guilty to all three of the child abuse charges she was facing.

According to Davison County State's Attorney Jim Miskimins, investigators found that one of Barna's three children who were in the home at the time of the fire started the fire, while Barna was not in the house.

Amyah Barna died as a result of the fire, while the two other children in the home were able to escape the house.

“Ms. Barna left the children without any adult supervision or care and attended a social event among other things,” Miskimins said. “It was determined that the fire was caused by one of children who were left without any appropriate or any adult supervision.”

Barna’s attorney, Zach Flood, took issue with the allegation of her attending a party at the time of the fire.
1602419063486.png

Between the tears and her trembling tattooed fingers, Ayla Barna tried to recount the night her 6-year-old daughter died in a house fire.

“I am aware I made a mistake,” she said, trying to fight back her emotions. “I am aware that mistake cost me my child’s life, and I have to live with that forever.”

Barna, 25, said she was borrowing money from a friend and buying cigarettes when the rental home she lived in oncaught fire. Her three children were left home alone. Two made it out alive due to the help of a neighbor.

Amyah Harley-Lyn Barna, a kindergartner, was upstairs, directly above where the fire started. She died in the home.

“Despite what people are thinking, I was not drinking, I was not doing drugs, I was not partying,” Barna said in an interview at The Daily Republic’s office. “I wish I could take everything back, but I can’t. And I have to accept that, but that doesn’t mean I do not hurt for her. I love her so much.”

Authorities on Friday said the fire originated from a cigarette lighter. Following investigation, Mitchell police determined the children were alone inside the residence for approximately one hour prior to the fire, which was reported at about 12:17 a.m. Thursday.

She admits she is a methamphetamine addict but became sober five years ago. Mitchell and the area was a fresh start for her and her children. Her oldest daughter, Aaleiah, is 7. Her youngest, Ashton, is 4.

On Wednesday night, she and her kids had dinner and cleaned up the house. She lived in a rental property owned by Mid-Dakota Properties that’s boarded up and waiting for demolition. She said she’s broke and often stressed.

Barna said the two girls were fighting over the TV, so she asked Amyah to go upstairs and watch in a different room. Amyah turned 6 on March 7.
“It didn’t matter if she knew you or met you for the first time,” Barna said. “She was the first one to give you a hug and smile at you. She just lost her first tooth. She couldn’t help but to show everybody.”

Later that night, after Amyah and Ashton had fallen asleep, Barna said she messaged her friend asking to borrow money for a pack of cigarettes. She left, went to a nearby friend’s house where there was a bonfire being held. She grabbed the money, talked to her friend and went to a nearby gas station.
Then she got a phone call alerting her of the fire.

“Even when I did get there and I tried to run in the house, and they wouldn’t let me,” she said, referencing the fire fighters who were already at the scene.

“I saw they were upstairs but they couldn’t find her. They couldn’t find her. I don’t know how long after, but one of them came up to me and he said, ‘I’m really sorry to tell you this. We found Amyah but I’m really sorry to tell you that she’s gone.’”

Authorities on Friday said the surviving children were placed into protective custody, but Barna said they’re with family and she has spoken to her kids since the fire.

Barna said she’ll accept the charges because “there’s nothing worse that could happen to me at this point.”

“I would never wish harm on my babies and my kids. I have done everything in my life to protect and do good by them. I have worked my ass off to be a good mom compared to the person I used to be. And I’ve failed them. Completely failed them.”

Last edited:
Going after cigarettes, going to a party... Doesn’t matter. You don’t leave small children home alone. Poor kid probably left this world in unbearable pain and thinking how much trouble she was going to be in. It’s telling that the mother’s reaction was I lost my kids, not my baby lost her life.

If she really had beaten meth and was trying to get her life together it’s twice as sad for the surviving children. It’s possible they lost a sibling and a mother who was loving and kind to them at least part of the time.

What the heck was a 7 year old still up at past 11 and I base that on the fact the fire was called in at 12;17 A.M. and mom left after the 2 youngest were asleep and she thought it wise to leave a 7 year old awake when she left? not to mention all 3 alone. I am a smoker but not even the biggest nicotine graving would make me leave a child alone to satisfy my graving. If she just couldn't make it without a cig wasn't the solution to call her friend and ask her to bring her some cigs to hold her till she could take her kids with her to go borrow money to go get some cigs? what is wrong with her thinking??

Ayla Barna, 26, was sentenced to eight years in prison for one count of child abuse and cruelty to a minor younger than 7 in the death of her 6-year-old daughter, Amyah Barna.
Barna issued an emotional statement before sentencing.

“Every day without her has been a struggle for me and my family, and saying goodbye to her is something that I never thought I’d have to do,” an emotional Barna said. “I’d do anything to change what happened … This is the hardest thing I have had to go through. I ask that you show leniency for my two children who want me in their life, and also because of the life sentence I’m already receiving from the guilt and not being able to hold her, talk to her and see my beautiful girl’s little face.”

I could tell the dude was gonna be a total schmuck when I read those kids names, sorry! And it’s these tragic mistakes and bad decisions with disproportionately serious outcomes that really get me. I’ll give her that it sounds like she really does/did love her kids, her decision making process is fucked up like her methhead hole filled brain (it’s a thing), she’s obv regretting her decision and she was prob stressed after a long day at work that night, I’m guessing. Either way I really don’t think it ever occurred to her that her decision that night would ever result in harm to her children, and I wouldn’t be surprised that if her leaving her kids alone was a more regular occurrence, it prob had never resulted in anything bad happening before. But yeah, where was dad/stepdad, and why would a 7 yr old be able to light a fire? Anything other than a stove and there’s def some bad influences around mom/ kids.

So the wedding is postponed then?
They actually got married according to the Douche Canoe’s FB-and he’s counting the days (years) before he can be with baby murdering wife (who by the way gave all her kids a fucked version of her dumb ass name). He’s freshly out of court ordered rehab and wishes all his homies well.

Is it just me or does South Dakota have a disproportionate number of white dudes who love to pretend they’re black.

Back