• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Johnna Harker was sentenced 1-3 years in prison for child neglect by a parent causing bodily injury after her child was born with a narcotic dependency.

Harker, 26, was arrested in July 2018 after police were called to United Hospital Center in Bridgeport, where Harker had given birth three days earlier to a girl who was born with a narcotic dependency. When police arrived, they were blocked from entering the room.

"I know my behavior was wrong, and I'm trying to get my life together now. I'd also like to add that I am a drug addict. I am not a criminal, and this is helping me to better myself," said Harker.

Harker will now have to be placed on the state child abuse and neglect registry.

The mother should have been remanded to drug counseling with probation. If she relapsed than she should have been sent to jail.

There was no mention of the baby or whether she retained her rights to the child.

On April 20, Bridgeport police officers were called to the hospital for a child abuse complaint, Weaver alleged.

A nurse told the officers she’d tried to enter the room occupied by Harker, a man and the 3-day-old baby, Weaver alleged.

“The door was blocked, and the nurse was not able to access,” Weaver alleged. “She was able to lock in the room, and all three were in the bathroom with the door closed. (The man) came and removed the item blocking the door and allowed the nurse to enter.”

The baby had been born with narcotic dependency and was being monitored for withdrawal symptoms, according to Weaver.

A dramatic drop in the baby’s health scores caused a doctor to order urine testing for narcotics on the infant, and the “drug urine screen showed positive for buprenorphine,” the complaint alleges.

“Prior to this, (the infant) was not positive for buprenorphine and was not given any medication that would cause a positive test result,” Weaver alleged.

Further lab testing confirmed the presence of buprenorphine, according to the complaint.

Were they trying to help the baby with withdrawals?

@Fives My Charm do you know?

@Sugar Cookie .. so mom was on a drug which is designed to help her detox which carries it’s own dependency & abuse issues. It really depends on how honest she was about her addiction during her pregnancy - which is stupid because they test you anyway. The goal is to slowly reduce the amount needed to nonexistent. If the baby was born with none in it’s urine and was being monitored - that was an awesome event! They would have been monitoring everything - even blood sugars on this little one. Likely the little one still experienced colic etc.. Sounds like the hospital was doing the right measures, they (the parents) were lucky as shit to have ANY access to the little one and their infinite stupidity of trying to do good .. In my personal opinion she’s not in a position to take care of this baby.. it amazes me they didn’t kill it! The hospitals are equipped to detox little ones safely - babies crash hard & quick (like within minutes hard). Sugar this is where my heart hurts .. those parents are NOT in a position to have custody of that baby nor should they .. but having experienced foster care you don’t want that either. I would not have reduced shit! They are given drug education beforehand - starting the medication. Sounds more like stupidity than intention but .. they will end up killing the baby.

Last edited:
Back