• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
When a judge on Friday asked Larry K. Keiper why he snatched a 6-year-old girl from her bed in Wheatfield last year, he didn't offer much of a reply.

The 65-year-old man has a 47-year criminal resume, including a 1983 rape of a 14-year-old girl in California; a 1978 Erie County burglary; and burglaries in Niagara County in 1971, 1997 and 2004.

"Every time this man is out of custody, he commits a crime, he absconds," prosecutor Holly E. Sloma said.

"Why does this happen?" Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon asked Keiper at his sentencing hearing.

"Mixed up, I guess," Keiper replied

Keiper said "no" when offered a chance to speak.

Sloma called him "no better than an animal and he needs to be caged like one."

"He was going to rape and he was going to kill her," Sloma said. "There's no doubt in my mind."

Sheldon sentenced Keiper to 16 years to life in prison.

"He'll be in his 80s before he's eligible for parole," defense attorney Joseph A. Scalzo said, counting three years of parole violation time on a previous conviction.

'"We as parents tell our kids there's no monsters," Sloma said. "That's a lie, because people like Larry Keiper live among us."

Back