• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Michigan mother has been ordered to spend five days in jail after she did nothing to keep her child from missing school, according to WXMI. In total, there are 26 unexcused absences on her 6-year-old's record.

Brittany Horton, 28, was sentenced this month after she pleaded guilty to a charge of truancy back in May.

Horton's punishment was delayed because the prosecutor's office wanted to give her a chance to solve the problem. Instead, her child missed more classes.

"When parents like Ms. Horton refuse to make reasonable efforts to address the truancy problem, our office is committed to making sure the children of our community are not deprived of an education," the prosecutor's office said in a statement obtained by the Chronicle.

Administrators said Horton also failed to show up to scheduled meetings to discuss the absences. Along with jail time, she'll have to pay more than $500 in fines.
https://kfor.com/2018/11/27/mom-headed-to-jail-over-childs-excessive-school-absences/
1543377351352.png

You mean to tell me your kids can’t miss school cos you can’t be arsed to wake up and get them there?
Little bugger is six, pretty sure he could have made his own even if mom is a neglectful sow.
I am sure she is a great mom and this is all one big misunderstanding. /sarcasm

I love it when my kids go to school on a day when I am off work...FREE TIME! Not sure what this chicks thinking is...

I loved it so much when the kids were in school ..
We lived across from school and I still sent them with lunch! :hilarious:

Bet she never sets an alarm for the morning. She probably can't even get herself out of bed much less get a kid ready for school.

I was worried because I got my kid late on 2 early release days. They early release like every other day. Usually it’s 1:35 but I guess they weed out us lazy parents by throwing an occasional TBD which could 1:35 or 1 or even 12:30. You have to track down who to call, or where the post it the day before. Anyways I felt so guilty. 26 absences wow...she’s either out of it or has a well behaved 6 year old.

My kids get up while my wife is getting ready for work. They usually eat breakfast with her then she goes off to work. They get themselves to school. The Sophomore leaves for the bus stop at 7:10 and the 6th grader leaves for his walk to the school (about 1/3 of a mile) at 8:40. I'm usually up before he leaves. Today I wasn't and was woken up by his phone call from the school telling me he had forgotten his backpack and needed it.

I hate having sleep disorders. I usually lay awake for hours at a time, not being able to get back to sleep. That's why I sleep late. I rarely get 6-7 hours of sleep.

I hate having sleep disorders. I usually lay awake for hours at a time.
I HATE insomnia. However my kids never missed school even if I had to drag my ass out of bed to get them there.

My mom was a nurse. She didn’t accept any excuses for missing school except a high fever and/or vomiting. Aw you stayed up all night on your phone? DEAL WITH IT.

We give our kids a personal day every quarter. They just say they don't want to go to school and we don't make them go. Our 6th grader used one of his while we were in Europe. We woke up to the cell phone ringing at 6:00am and Sam asking if he could use his personal day and stay home. My wife said something to him about it being 6 in the morning where we were and asked if he couldn't have called later. He answered by saying it was 10pm at home and he knew she would be mad if he stayed up later than that. Can't argue with logic. So, at 4:00pm European time, my wife called the school and said Sam wouldn't be in that day.

It's worked great with the boys. They know they can take a day off if they get too stressed out or are having problems with the teacher.

Back