• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
Becca Hill, 24, from Paignton, has appealed for information about four-year-old Gizmo, who was carried away on Sunday afternoon.
full

She told the Devon Live website: “My partner was in the garden putting the washing out at the time and suddenly he saw it swoop down. It carried Gizmo a fair way as we couldn’t see him any more. I have no idea if he was dropped or where he is now.”

Hill also wrote on Facebook: “Please, please, please, anyone finds a chihuahua he’s mine, a seagull took him from my garden.”

Hill posted an update on Facebook today, saying: “My baby is still missing. Doesn’t feel right not waking up to him licking my face.”

The chihuahua is brown and white and its breed only grows to about 23 cm (9 in) tall.

Hill, who owns three chihuahuas, said she had heard reports of seagulls snatching dogs but never expected it to happen to her.

The search resumed on Monday with leaflets distributed in the local area.

UAV Lost Dog Search & Rescue, a local organisation, has urged households to check their gardens, rooftops, trees and hedges.

It wrote on Facebook: “Sadly still missing. Anyone who lives in the surrounding areas in Paignton please can you keep your eyes open.”
[....]
After an appeal was posted on Doglost.co.uk a contributor called Captain said: “A lot of gardens have been checked and cleared along with rooftops, garage roofs and trees.”

Another contributor, Hasi’smum, wrote: “Apparently he [Gizmo] was taken and flown more or less parallel with the main Marldon Road over the roofs down towards [and maybe further than] Ailescombe Drive.”

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said: “This must be extremely upsetting for the dog’s owner. Fortunately these types of incidents are very rare and not typical gull behaviour.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This actually happened a few years ago to a woman I worked with. She let her tiny Yorkie out and it was never seen again. Eagle or a hawk got it. Growing up I had a Chihuahua Poodle mix who was smart and if she heard a owl outside or there were big birds circling she wanted go go in and hide.

An eagle or hawk, I could believe. A seagull!? Not so sure. Maybe they're bigger in Britain. Sounds to me like a "dingo ate my baby" incident where the partner killed the annoying little doggo and then blamed it on a damn seagull.

Just remembered the dingo actually *did* eat her baby...... Well, ok. But still. It seems a little fishy to me! :p

I'm having a hard time believing it was a seagull.

But I'm not going to say it wasn't.
Seagulls are bastards.

I rescued 8 mallard duckings when I worked at animal control. (The mother was hit by car and killed.)
After we had them in our facility for about a week the vet said they were ready to be let go. He said take them to a marshy area or park with a good body of water. So I took them to the perfect park.
As soon as I let them out of the carrier at the banks edge and started to walk away, a flock of seagulls swooped in and gobbled them up whole.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:
This is the park.

Sky rats
Shit hawks
Flying demons

When I was quite young I used to hang around the Welland ship canal.
Would often see older kids tossing broken Alka Seltzer tablets in the air for them to eat. They would sqawk and fall out of the sky. the would bloat and burst on the ground.

Eventually I got up the nerve to ask why they were doing it. one kid said their family chihuahua was taken by one and died when dropped from the sky. a flock of gulls fought over the corpse. that would have been summer in 74.

i never believed it...til now.

I wonder if it was a seagull or an osprey? An osprey at a quick glance would look very similar to a gull.

Back