• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

The San Francisco school board unanimously voted Tuesday to destroy a controversial school mural featuring slaves and a dead Native American, saying the removal equates to necessary reparations for historic wrongs.

The board voted to paint over the mural at Washington High School but added a caveat, leaving the door open to the possibility of obscuring the mural with panels if painting it results in long delays from legal challenges or other issues.

The preference, however, is to destroy it, board members said.

“It might be art and it can also be racist; it can be both,” said board member Alison Collins. “It’s not just about removing them from public view, it’s also about righting a wrong.”

Full Story:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-school-board-votes-to-destroy-14050025.php

It's a shame that given it being in a school there wasn't an opportunity to use it as a teaching exercise. Maybe some narratives with some historical relevance and discussing its significance. I get distressed when anything from history is just destroyed. Yes it is offensive no question about it. I do however feel that it is important for something like this to remain part of the narrative of United States.

Okay. Let the attacks and the hate begin

"reparations", another word for "obscure the truth". Look, the world was and is a fucked up place, but you can't keep hiding shit and pretending it doesn't or didn't exist.

I don't suffer guilt for shit that I had nothing to do with from 200+ years ago.

Erasing records of past wrongs is a great way to atone for them. That's why the National Holocaust Memorial is buried under 30' of concrete instead of being open to the public and right off the National Mall in DC. That's why we totally didn't just erect a new memorial to the victims of lynching in Montgomery, Alabama.

I am against removing any thing that tells us our history whether it is good or bad.

You can destroy all the books, monuments, statues, paintings and murals you want it will only help in the future for people to deny that any of these historical moments happened.

Why do so many people overlook a true racist Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, she should have been the first statue to be removed.

These statement can all be attributed to her

“The most merciful thing that the large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.” -- Woman and the New Race (1920).

“Those least fit to carry on the race are increasing most rapidly.” -- The Pivot of Civilization (1922).

“Possibly drastic and Spartan methods may be forced upon American society if it continues complacently to encourage the chance and chaotic breeding that has resulted from our stupid, cruel sentimentalism.” -- The Pivot of Civilization.

“I wonder if it will also become necessary to establish a system of birth permits .... A marriage license shall in itself give husband and wife only the right to a common household and not the right to parenthood .... No woman shall have the legal right to bear a child, and no man shall have the right to become a father, without a permit for parenthood .... No permit for parenthood shall be valid for more than one birth.” – America Needs a Code for Babies (1934).

“Necessarily and inevitably, we are led further and further back, to the point of procreation; beyond that, into the regulation of sexual selection.” -- The Pivot of Civilization.

“A stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation,” in work camps, is necessary for “that grade of population,” including illiterates, “whose progeny is already tainted, or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.” -- “A Plan for Peace,” in The Birth Control Review (April, 1932).

“The reproductive impulse” is “in continual conflict with our economic, political settlements, race adjustments and the like.” -- The Pivot of Civilization.

“Under such circumstances we can hope that the "melting pot" will refine. We shall see that it will save the precious metals of racial culture, fused into an amalgam of physical perfection, mental strength and spiritual progress.” -- Women and the New Race.

hahah this painting is straight out of Parks and Rec. Outrageous this was ever put up in a school, mindblowing.

I am against removing any thing that tells us our history whether it is good or bad.

You can destroy all the books, monuments, statues, paintings and murals you want it will only help in the future for people to deny that any of these historical moments happened.

The problem is these schools arent teaching all the awful shit that was done. Slavery gets hit hard, but that's about it. And even then, things are sugarcoated to a significant degree. I remember reading about the trail of tears and getting just enough info to know that Natives were mistreated as well, but schools arent going full in on that, kids arent being taught everything that happened, that it amounts to literal genocide.

And there is a huge force amongst society that doesnt even think that should be taught, that thinks it's wrong for anything disparraging to be said about Americas white scumbag originators.

“The most merciful thing that the large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.” -- Woman and the New Race (1920).

Context seems important there. There are many contexts/frames of discussion where this might be accurate honestly.

“Those least fit to carry on the race are increasing most rapidly.” -- The Pivot of Civilization (1922).

This isnt racist or problematic at all. This is very very accurate, even today.

“I wonder if it will also become necessary to establish a system of birth permits .... A marriage license shall in itself give husband and wife only the right to a common household and not the right to parenthood .... No woman shall have the legal right to bear a child, and no man shall have the right to become a father, without a permit for parenthood .... No permit for parenthood shall be valid for more than one birth.” – America Needs a Code for Babies (1934).

This makes a LOT of sense. Total fantasy nonsense of course, but i dont know how anyone who frequents this site could disagree that such laws would have definite merit. Of course the biggest problem would be an entity as awful and dishonest and corrupt as our govt deciding such maters, but as a pure hypothetical it def is very agreeable in theory.

So the mural was painted 80+ years ago. Now the school (funny how they can find the money for this) wants to spend $600k to paint over it.

Folks, this is what censorship is. You don't like the message, you cover it up. But it's ok, because it's a Liberal state right?

History is the often unpleasant record of the way things actually were, not the way they should have been ... we feel it better -- and indeed, our collective responsibility -- not to change the unpleasant facts that were.

Peter H. Capstick

--Al

Back