• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
San Francisco has passed legislation demanding that convicted felons be referred to as 'justice-involved persons' in an attempt to sanitize the language used to describe criminals.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors quietly passed the resolution last month with a unanimous vote, directing all city agencies and departments to adopt its sterilized list of terms.

'Dehumanizing language like "prisoner," "convict," "inmate," or "felon" only serve [sic] to obstruct and separate people from society and make the institutionalization of racism and supremacy appear normal,' the legislation reads.

San Francisco, struggling with an epidemic of drug addiction and homelessness, has the highest property crime rate of any big city in the U.S. according to FBI data.

Among other changes, the legislation insists that juvenile delinquents to be described as 'young persons impacted by the justice system.'

Instead of inmates, the Board of Supervisors recommends 'currently incarcerated persons'.

Ex-cons should be referred to as 'returning residents,' according to the legislation.

Rather than drug addicts, cops and prosecutors should speak of 'persons with a history of substance use,' the resolution decrees.

And instead of 'citizen' or 'illegal alien,' the Board of Supervisors urges the use of the words 'person' or 'individual.'

The resolution, which was proposed by Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, passed the 11-member board with a 10-0 vote, with Gordon Mar absent.

The non-binding resolution was returned unsigned by Mayor London Breed.

Breed 'doesn’t implement policies based on nonbinding resolutions, but she is always happy to work with the board on issues around equity and criminal justice reform,' her spokesman Jeff Cretan, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

However, the San Francisco police and district attorney are already rushing to adopt the changes.

Police spokesman David Stevenson told the Chronicle that the department has 'made our members aware of the resolution and are researching possible impacts on operations and communications.'

The language resolution makes no mention of new terms for victims of crime.

Convicted felon: 'justice involved person'
Juvenile delinquent: 'young person impacted by the justice system'
Inmate: 'currently incarcerated person'
Ex-con: 'returning resident'
Parolee: 'person under supervision'
Drug addict: 'person with a history of substance use'
Drug offender: 'person convicted of a drug offense'
Illegal alien: 'person' or 'individual'

San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors wants to sanitize language in the criminal justice system.

In a proposal to the city and county of San Francisco, words like “felon,” “offender,”“convict” and “parolee” would be swapped for what’s described as people-first language — phrases that strip any objectification or pejorative descriptions for more neutral and positive descriptors.

Some examples include changing “felon” and “offender” to “returning resident” or “formerly incarcerated person.” A “parolee” could be described as a “person under supervision.” “Convict” could be referred to as a “currently incarcerated person,” while a “juvenile offender” or “delinquent” would be described as a “young person impacted by the justice system.”

The board noted that about 1 in every 5 Californians has a criminal record and the language that often accompanies those records can dehumanize and devalue the individual.

Full Story:

I believe that if you've paid your debt to society than it shouldn't be a question. My problem is with blanket labeling. A criminal is not necessarily a felon and a felon isn't necessarily an ex-con. By giving all criminals the same status a vandal is equal to a murderer. So either drop the labels all together once time has been served or make justified distinctions.

They paid their debt to society. Why must they continue enduring punishment even after serving their lengthy prison terms?
I believe once you paid your debt you that shouldn't continual to be punished, but facts are facts, a person who committed murder is a murderer, a person who committed is a rapist, and a person who committed a felony is a felon. Changing terms isn't helping anyone, in fact it will only confuse everyone and, more than likely, assist many criminals to commit further crimes. With all the filth in the streets, San Francisco is literally in the shitter and forcing the police, the DA, and the victims of crimes to change terms so as not to shame the criminal element is the city council's hot button issue?

@knockout I live on the coast (close to S.F.) amongst those idiots. I didn't do it!!!! Most of my neigbhbors did it, but not me. There are a few of us left on the coast. I live on the farm where I was born and I've got to leave. maybe not Calif, but the north/central coast doesn't like me anymore, that's for sure.
Not all Californians are shitheads, but shitheads have total control, nothing an earthquake along the Andreas fault couldn’t fix
C3A2DFEB-0393-4C64-9084-EC6F0874A81B.jpeg
B215972F-1424-44DB-A04E-A104A094FB23.jpeg
B215972F-1424-44DB-A04E-A104A094FB23.jpeg

Last edited:
California is a cancer. The people vote continuously to fuck up the state, then get mad because the state has turned into a shit hole and move out.
Then they repeat the same shit in the state they move into.

WA, CO, OR, ID on it's way, NV is almost failed, NM is falling.
Sounds familiar, lot of people seem to move to the US with the same idea :joyful::p;)

I'm speaking of offenders other than registered sex offenders and I think this article is too.
That's the issue. This article implies ALL are to be referred to as "returning resident". No distinctions. That doesn't work for me. Why am I required to afford them some kind of dignity or respect when they have stolen the dignity of others? Prison time doesn't automatically restore the victim's dignity.

No Oh, wait
This state does fucking suck, it’s the most idiotic state with the most incredibly stupid people voting for the most liberal idiots. If they’re not over the cliff stupid left they don’t get elected in fuckfornia
To err is human, to forgive is divine.
fuck them, I’ll leave the forgiveness to god if there is one

Sorry, child rapists don't get cutesy titles upon release from prison in my world. They're always going to be the twat that raped a child. Paying their debt to society doesn't grant them instant restoration of their prior reputation.
@BuffettGirl you're so right man! This is no way that a child rapists and murderers can ever pay their debt to society with anything but their life. The fact we live in a world where we allow child rapists to live and not be hanged by the neck until dead is what we should be paying attention to not to what we call them after they are released for fucks sake!!

Back