• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Old Man Metal

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
full

41 years. 29 tours. Over 2100 shows.

There aren't many rock bands that work, or tour, harder than Rush. Or that have more fun doing it.

Geddy, Alex and Neil played their first show together on August 14th, 1974, opening for Uriah Heep and Manfred Mann in front of 11,000 fans at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. They were on the road supporting their eponymous debut album, released on March 1st of that year while John Rutsey was still on the drum kit.

They wouldn't stop touring for 41 years, finally closing out the "live band" era of their history on August 1st, 2015 at The Forum in Los Angeles, on the last night of their celebratory R40 world tour, which marked the 40th anniversary of Neil Peart's membership in the band. This final tour sold 442,337 tickets over 35 shows. Almost half a million human beings turned out to say farewell to The Three Stooges.

Those two bookend shows, and everything in between them, are the subject of a veritable tome entitled Rush: Wandering The Face Of The Earth: The Official Touring History, which is slated to be released by Insight Editions on October 15th. According to Amazon, this history clocks in at 416 pages and 1.7 pounds in Large Portrait format (9 inches by 12 inches).

Written by Skip Daly and Eric Hansen, Rush: Wandering The Face Of The Earth collects tour dates, set lists, pictures and stories from the band, crew members, and fans; some of the material has not been published before.

Amazon currently has it listed for pre-order at $45. Order here.

Last edited:
i saw them on the vapor trails tour and holy shit! what a show! best concert ive ever seen, and ive seen plenty. endorphin rush for 2 days afterwards. a friend of mine since high school and i had a pact. if rush ever came to houston we were going together no matter if we were dating someone or not. so as soon as the tickets went on sale we grabbed some. the venue is this big outdoor arena and we were talking about the last time either of us had been to an outdoor concert. he was telling me the last time for him was with his ex. we look up and she is RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! it would have been crazy enough to see her, but while were talking about her? there were at least 10,000 people there and we dont know any of them. we live 90 miles from houston and she was living in austin. that is the biggest coincidence thats ever happened to any of us. anyway, thats my rush story, the point of which is never pass up the opportunity to see them live, magical things happen :)

My former SIL and I had a bet, I would go to Rush with her and she would go to a Jimmy Buffett concert with me. Hands down Rush won that. Best show I've ever been to, especially considering that I didn't want to even go. The 3rd row center seats didn't hurt I'm sure! :cool:
People sat down for Rush concerts?

So I like Rush... in small doses. I have to give them props for some amazing composition and lyrical masterpieces, but... OMFG does Geddy get to you after about 3 songs.

Yeah, a lot of folks can't get past Geddy's voice. Him, Bob Dylan, and King Diamond.
Post automatically merged:

My former SIL and I had a bet, I would go to Rush with her and she would go to a Jimmy Buffett concert with me. Hands down Rush won that. Best show I've ever been to, especially considering that I didn't want to even go. The 3rd row center seats didn't hurt I'm sure! :cool:
They are a fantastic band live. As well-done as their studio output is, they really shine onstage.

Last edited:
Me and a buddy saw King Diamond in Atlanta a few years back, amazing show. Seeing Sleepless Nights and Come to to Sabbath live was bucket-list-grade. Big fan of both Mercyful Fate and his solo work.

Back