• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

A Southern rock group called Confederate Railroad has been booted from the lineup of an upcoming Illinois state fair over its name and use of the Confederate flag, sparking fury from fans and country legend Charlie Daniels.

The band, formed in 1987 in Atlanta, Georgia, had been slated to play at the Du Quoin State Fair on Aug. 27 in the city of Du Quoin, IL as part of “90s Country ReLoaded Day,” local media reported.

The cancellation of Confederate Railroad’s performance was first acknowledged by the fair’s manager Josh Gross in a statement to the Du Quoin Weekly,

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/rock-band-called-confederate-railroad-booted-from-illinois-state-fair/

Not a giant fan, although the song "Trashy Women" makes me laugh, they're a good ol' boy kind of band from Georgia that have been together for decades (early 80's) and until the word "confederate" became a dirty word a couple of years ago, they were getting by just fine. This is stooopid. What's next? Are the Eagles going to have to change their name because some dillhole finds raptors offensive? :banghead:

The band speaks out
As many of you know, we were scheduled to perform at the Illinois State Fair in Du Quoin, Illinois on August 27, along with our friends Restless Heart and Shenandoah. We have since been removed from that show by the Illinois Department of Agriculture because of the name of our band. This was very disappointing as we have played this fair before and enjoyed it very much. The outpouring of support from Confederate Railroad fans, fans of other acts, and the public in general, has been both overwhelming and very much appreciated. I would also like to thank the actors, athletes and fellow country music artists who have spoken out in support. It has been brought to my attention that several people have asked both Restless Heart and Shenandoah to cancel their shows in protest of our cancellation. I have spoken to both acts and encouraged them to perform as scheduled. Live concerts are how we pay our bills and feed our families. I would never want to see another act lose a payday because of this. Please go out to hear these two great bands. As I have said many times onstage, I am by no means a saint but, I am a man of faith and I have faith that God will see us through this as well as whatever comes next! Thank you for your support.

I was talking to my Mom last night and somehow this situation came up... I have never heard my 76 year old, teeny tiny, consistently terrifying Mother lose her shit like she did! :oops: She went OFF on WTF is happening to this world and when did logic go out of fashion. Sounds kind of funny I know, but it struck me as sad just how much of the world is changing, and not for the better... She threatened to fly to Illinois, go to the "GD F*cking State Fair" just so she could walk around all day and drop the word "confederate" every chance she got... That much fire, out of my Mother, is akin to Queen Elizabeth having a public hissy fit. It was a lil' strange! o_O

[....]
A spokesman for Ulster County Executive Pat Ryan says Thursday the band will not be playing the Ulster County fair Aug. 1. The move comes weeks after Illinois canceled a state fair appearance by the band, whose logo features a steam locomotive flying Confederate flags.

Ryan released a statement Thursday opposing what he calls "a symbol of division and racism."

Confederate Railroad frontman Danny Shirley says in a phone interview Thursday the band's name was inspired by locomotive commandeered in Georgia during the Civil War. He suggested people are looking for things to get upset about.

Back