• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
The man, who reportedly identified himself as a policeman, took 37 people hostage on a bus that was travelling across a busy bridge connecting the suburb of Sao Goncalo to central Rio on Tuesday morning.
full

Several hostages who were released during negotiations recalled how the man had poured petrol in the vehicle and had threatened to set it alight.

After a four-hour standoff and negotiation, in which police say the hijacker made no specific demands, Brazil's elite police force BOPE said its sniper had "neutralised" him.

It added that all the hostages were released unharmed.

Nice.

A buddy of mine was a sniper for the Raleigh PD for a few years. He could consistently hit a head shot at 400 yards regardless of wind, angle, etc.

A head shot for a sniper doesn't just mean hitting the head, it means hitting a very small spot on the head:

I grew up shooting with this guy; he was a sick shot even in high school.

"Brazil's elite police force BOPE said its sniper had "neutralised" him."

Despite the misspelling, I love that statement! Yeah, neutralize the bastard!

"Brazil's elite police force BOPE said its sniper had "neutralised" him."

Despite the misspelling, I love that statement! Yeah, neutralize the bastard!
Its not misspelled lol Neutralize when used as a past tense is neutralised ;)

Its not misspelled lol Neutralize when used as a past tense is neutralised ;)
Before I posted, I had checked Websters Dictionary which included neutralized
neutralize
verb
neu·tral·ize | \ ˈnü-trə-ˌlīz , ˈnyü-\
neutralized; neutralizing
Definition of neutralize

transitive verb
1: to make chemically neutral
2a: to counteract the activity or effect of : make ineffective propaganda that is difficult to neutralize
b: KILL, DESTROY
3: to make electrically inert by combining equal positive and negative quantities
4: to invest (a territory, a nation, etc.) with conventional or obligatory neutrality conferring inviolability during a war
5: to make neutral by blending with the complementary color
6: to give (a pair of phonemes) a nondistinctive form or pronunciation\t\ and \d\ are neutralized when pronounced as flaps

@Babs It's written by a british paper. The word getting changed later on to fit how another country would prefer to spell it doesn't make the original spelling of it wrong.

Neutralise vs neutralize

Neutralise means to make something ineffective, to disarm, to make harmless, to cause something to become neutral. Used euphemistically, neutralise may also be used to mean to kill someone. Neutralise is the British spelling, related words are neutralises, neutralised, neutralising, neutraliser and neutralisation.

Neutralize is the preferred American spelling. Related words are neutralizes, neutralized, neutralizing, neutralizer and neutralization. The American spelling is gaining acceptance around the world. Neutralise and neutralize are examples of a group of words that are spelled with a “z” in American English and with an “s” in British English. Neutralize comes from the French word neutraliser, meaning “to counterbalance, to kill by opposing, first appearing in the 1700s.
https://grammarist.com/spelling/neutralise-vs-neutralize-2/
Post automatically merged:

Oxford is better than Websters which is very quickly becoming outdated. Webster's almost only deals with American english. Oxford grabs meanings in different versions of english and because of that google tends to prioritise(see what I did!) their answers. If you type in "neutralised" into your search bar the first result tells both versions

Last edited:
Back