• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Valasca

Death, horror, torture
A builder has described the gruesome moment he unearthed suspected human remains while levelling his driveway.

Richard Shilton discovered what looked like a thigh bone and two jaw bones while using a mini-digger at the rear of his home on Wednesday.

Police have sent the remains to be studied by experts before confirming whether or not they are human.

Investigating officers said they could be linked to a crime, the Civil War or the Second World War.

Richard, aged 36, said: "I was putting all the dirt in a pile ready for tomorrow and, initially, I saw one bone sticking up.

"I thought it really looked like a femur but thought it maybe belonged to a large animal.

"When I excavated that lot I put it to one side and then found a lower jaw bone which looked suspiciously human – it had teeth.

"To be honest, when I saw it my first thought was 'I'm not going to get this driveway done for the weekend'."
Several more items have been uncovered, including another jaw bone and broken bone fragments.

Richard said: "It wasn't creepy. But when I saw the jaw I thought it was definitely human. Your instant reaction is you just wonder whether it's been there a long time.

"The police said it may be an ancient burial but they are unsure until they've confirmed it.

"I hope that's the case, there's nothing to worry about and I can get back to work."

Richard called the police at 3pm after discovering the bones which had been buried about two-feet deep.

Scene of Crime Officers (SOCO) studied the find, removing the bones and bagged them up behind a police cordon outside the house in the Greenbank area of Plymouth.

Police sources said there were effectively four possibilities: the bones came from a private burial connected to a nearby church, the bones were remains from the Civil War battle of Freedom Fields, they were bones from a victim of the Second World War blitz or they were bones connected to a potential crime.

Detectives assisting in the investigation have said the bones are "possibly human" but Scene of Crime Officers said they must send them off to be studied by experts at a university who will first confirm beyond question as to whether they are human or animal.

The bones would then undergo carbon dating in an effort to establish how old they are.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/new...-driveway/article-2472056-detail/article.html

Yeah, I laughed over this:
"To be honest, when I saw it my first thought was 'I'm not going to get this driveway done for the weekend'."

Back