• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox


Seventeen-month-old Taegen McKinney took her first steps one month before she died.
Taegen was small for her age, 18 pounds, and barely reached her grandmother's knee.
Tubes placed in her ears in February 2007 alleviated a series of ear infections that plagued Taegen. By all accounts, she was an otherwise healthy, happy child, according to her mother, Jewel McKinney, who testified Thursday during the preliminary hearing for the man accused of the child's death.
Jose Garcia, 21, is charged with first-degree felony intentional abuse of a child resulting in death, negligent child abuse resulting in death, tampering with evidence and aggravated battery after he allegedly stepped on the child's chest while his girlfriend, Acacia Morriston, was asleep.

Although she was a healthy toddler, when Taegen's babysitter, Morriston, ran to her neighbor's home early in the morning hours of April 15, 2007, holding the baby wrapped in a green blanket, there was "a greenish, purple tint to her body" and she wasn't breathing, said Nathan Garcia, Morriston's neighbor, who performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Taegen.
Morrston reached out with Taegen in her arms and said "please help me, please help me," Nathan Garcia said.

Taegen died that day, a result of blunt force trauma to her head, legs, arms and face.
It was a death that raised outcry in the community because included in her injuries was a shoe impression left on her stomach that deputies believe was left by Garcia,
who was helping his girlfriend babysit the toddler.
Emotional testimony
"Do you have children?" the mother, Jewel McKinney, said to Frederick Jones, Garcia's attorney, as she sobbed in court during her testimony Thursday. "Do you know what it's like to lose a child?"
Taegen's mother testified for more than an hour during the two-day preliminary hearing for Garcia.
District Judge Sandra Price, following the conclusion of the hearing Friday, found that sufficient evidence existed to proceed to trial for the charge of negligent abuse of a child resulting in death.
Price granted in an earlier hearing in September only for the charge of negligent child abuse after the state Supreme Court granted Garcia a new trial in May. He pleaded no contest in 2007 and was sentenced to life in prison.
Garcia entered the courtroom Thursday, and after the bailiff removed his handcuffs, he looked toward his family, 15 of whom were seated behind the defense table, and smiled.
Taegen's family, who filled the other side of the courtroom, sat with their hands clasped, heads bent and tears periodically spilling down their faces as the hearing began.
McKinney took the stand first to testify about the last moments she saw her daughter alive.
She left Taegen with her friend's daughter, Morriston, who regularly watched the baby. José Garcia also was in the house at the time.
"He had been around the kids and done really well," McKinney said. She recounted a time when Garcia put Taegen to sleep by rubbing her back.
"It seemed like he cared," McKinney said, who characterized Garcia as "loving" toward Taegen.

McKinney brought beer to the house because she planned to come back with Morriston's mother after work. But she didn't, because in a phone call to the residence about 11:15 p.m., Morriston reported the kids were fine and sleeping. McKinney, Morriston's mother and a few other friends went to the Tap Room, a local Farmington bar.
Sometime after 3 a.m., McKinney learned her daughter was dead.
"I was in disbelief," she said through sobs. "It's still hard to believe. It's been three years and it's still hard to believe ... that my daughter is dead. It's sad. I can't think about how she died. I can't think about what she went through. I can't think about that stuff because it breaks my heart. She was just a baby."
No breathing'
"He had a drinking problem," Morriston testified Thursday of Garcia. "He had a pill problem too."
Garcia often helped Morriston babysit Taegen and her older brother, Connor.
He was "on and off upset all day," arguing with Morriston about her neighbor, accusing her of cheating on him and threatening violence, Morriston said of Garcia on the day Taegen died.
Morriston described their year-and-a-half long relationship as "rocky" and coming to an end.
"He was abusive and angry toward me and his family sometimes," Morriston said. "He was fine in the morning but as the day progressed he got more upset."
Garcia was drinking beer that day, something that was not unusual, Morriston said.
Garcia's family members adamantly deny Garcia had an alcohol or drug problem. He only took medication prescribed by a doctor, said his father, Steve Garcia.
"It's been so awful, everything being one-sided," Steve Garcia said. "We want the truth to come out."

Morriston caracterized Garcia as a violent, yet unpredictable, person when he was drinking and under the influence of drugs, a characterization his family denies.
Deputies believe Garcia was drinking the night of the incident, and although Garcia initially denied drinking alcohol, he told former Sheriff's Detective Marlyn Wyatt during the police interview that he had a few sips of beer, according to the interview video.
Morriston testified as the evening wore on that Garcia became increasingly agitated and a fight erupted between the two.
She stated he grabbed her by the arm and broke her phone when he threw it against the wall.
"He had taken his belt off and was repeatedly telling me he was going to break my window," she recalled of the fight. "He threw me on the ground and he was on top of me and he was choking me until I almost passed out. He was repeatedly telling me he was Lucifer and asking me if I wanted to die."
Defense Attorney Frederick Jones questioned Morriston about her possible role in the fight. Morriston reportedly has a history of suicide attempts and incidents where she physically hurt herself by banging her head or punching herself, Jones said.

Morriston testified she awoke later the evening of the fight by the light in her doorway. She saw Garcia leaving and Taegen was lying next to her.
She picked Taegen up out of bed and "her eyes were wide open. She was just still, there was no movement, no breathing," Morriston said.
Garcia arrested
There was a "weird look on her face like she was out of it," Garcia told Wyatt at the Sheriff's station during a police interview following the incident.

Garcia tried to jump over a pile of clothing, he said. Taegen "screeched," when he stepped on her.
Wyatt brought Garcia to the station to ask him questions and, although he was free to go, the two "talked like men," Wyatt said. He didn't make his decision to arrest Garcia until three-quarters through the interview after the "totality of the circumstances" led him to believe Garcia killed Taegen.
Wyatt's testimony echoed Morriston's and Nathan Garcia's that Garcia "never showed any emotion."
Garcia told Wyatt that Taegen was playing in the bedroom with a pile of clothes and tossing them into the air. Garcia attempted to jump across the baby when he accidentally stepped on her, according to the interview video.

He said he picked Taegen up and patted her back and she threw up, Garcia said during the interview.
Garcia's family expressed anger Friday about the characterization that he stomped on the baby.
"He did not stomp the baby," Steve Garcia said. "He did show remorse."
Clarissa Krinsky, the forensic pathologist, testified Thursday that Taegen died from the totality of injuries to her body and that she was "not breathing adequately for a period of time."
Garcia's family argued there was no evidence proving he did anything to Taegen.
"Where is the evidence?" Jones asked Price during closing arguments. "There is no evidence he caused the death."
"It's tragic for the victim's family. It's tragic for these people because of what Jose Garcia did," senior trial prosecutor Robert Gentile said during his closing remarks. "He shows no remorse, it's his shoe prints that are on Taegen, it is his statements he made to police...He admitted he stepped on the baby, she screeched, he picked her up and she threw up."
Garcia's statement to the detective was that he was "95 percent sure he stepped on her," according to the interview video.

"He didn't take her for medical treatment, didn't go to the neighbors, didn't do anything other than a pat on the back and gave her to someone else," Chief Deputy District Attorney Sarah Weaver said. "She was beaten from head to toe ...The pattern on her abdomen was similar to the pattern on his shoes."
Garcia's family members shook their heads throughout Weaver's statements.

"We are very, very sorry that they lost the baby, but he didn't do it," Steve Garcia said.
Silent tears flowed from Taegen's family, nearly 30 of whom sat in the courtroom for the two-day hearing. No one spoke when Price bound the charge over for trial, which is expected to begin Jan. 10 in Gallup.

Four years after the incident, Taegen's family members still look for closure.

On Thursday, Weaver asked Taegen's mother if she regretted not going home the night of her daughter's death.
Every day," McKinney said. "I wish I could have saved her."

♥♥Taegen McKinney♥♥ 2005-2007♥♥




Over 1000 links here


Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Ghetto Queen
I am so sick of these stupid families. It would make things so much easier to swallow if they would say something like "I love the accused despite what he has done".. I am so sick of this "my loved one could have never done this" despite all the evidence. They just show themselves to be liars just like the accused!

I feel terrible for the victims mother. They pain and guilt she must feel will haunt her forever. For this man to not just admit what he has done is dragging the pain out even longer.

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Queen of the Monkeys
I am so sick of these stupid families. It would make things so much easier to swallow if they would say something like "I love the accused despite what he has done".. I am so sick of this "my loved one could have never done this" despite all the evidence. They just show themselves to be liars just like the accused!

I feel terrible for the victims mother. They pain and guilt she must feel will haunt her forever. For this man to not just admit what he has done is dragging the pain out even longer.
A lot of times they cant believe it, it would be too much for them to handle, so they blind themselves and try to look at the person the way they see them, I dont think Im explaining it right but they are doing it as a coping mechanism, they do one day accept their family member did it... Its just hard at first...

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
A district judge denied a request for a 24-hour furlough for the man accused of stomping and killing 17-month-old Taegen McKinney.

Jose Garcia, 23, is accused of killing McKinney on April 14, 2007, after he allegedly stomped on the toddler's chest while his girlfriend was asleep. The couple was babysitting the child when she was killed.

Shoe impressions that matched Garcia's shoes remained on the child's abdomen, according to court records.

He is charged with first-degree felony intentional abuse of a child resulting in death, negligent child abuse resulting in death, a charge that was added July 28, 2010, tampering with evidence and aggravated battery.

Garcia pleaded guilty to intentional abuse of a child in 2007. That charge carries a life sentence, which in New Mexico means an inmate must serve 30 years in prison before being eligible for parole.

But in 2010, the state Supreme Court granted Garcia a new trial on the grounds that his previous attorney did not adequately instruct Garcia about the charge he was pleading to and the mandatory life sentence that followed.

Garcia, despite numerous requests to be released pending the outcome of the second trial, has remained incarcerated since 2007.

The motion for a furlough was "to allow Mr. Garcia time since he has been locked up for four years," Garcia's Albuquerque-based attorney Frederick Jones said.

The furlough would allow the defense team to prepare for trial, he said.

The state opposed the furlough arguing that an escape charge, should Garcia attempt to flee, "pales in comparison to what Mr. Garcia is facing," senior trial prosecutor Robert Gentile said in court.

District Judge William Birdsall, who was appointed to the case after District Judge Sandra Price recused herself in 2011, said the only way he would allow Garcia a furlough is if it were an escorted one which he said, might entail a handful of Sheriff's deputies.

Birdsall, referring to the numerous continuations, said he "was tickled, however, we will be in Gallup in 2.5 weeks."

The trial is expected to begin Jan. 30 and is set for eight days in Gallup.

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!


Muttering crone
The man who beat and stomped a 17-month-old baby to death and pleaded guilty to the murder in 2007 will spend the rest of his life in prison, a jury determined Monday.

Following eight-and-a-half hours of deliberations over a two-day period, a jury of six men and six women found Jose Garcia, 23, guilty of first-degree intentional abuse of a child resulting in death.

The charges stemmed from an April 14, 2007, incident in which Garcia killed Taegen McKinney while he was babysitting with his girlfriend.

Intentional abuse of a child carries an automatic life sentence, which in New Mexico means Garcia will not be eligible for parole until he has served 30 years. . . .

Earlier in the morning, Garcia's father, Steve, referred to the biblical Ninth Commandment and said the accusations against his son were lies.

For five years, Garcia has maintained he did not beat the child and that he might have accidentally stepped on Taegen, who was partially covered under clothes from a laundry basket, when he attempted to jump over the baby to leave a bedroom. . . .

A state medical investigator, who was the first to testify in the weeklong trial, told the court the numerous head-to-toe injuries that Taegen endured were not accidental, but intentional.

Taegen died from blunt force trauma to the head, neck, torso, arms and legs.

The state contends that in a fit of rage, after three earlier fights including one that became physical with Garcia's girlfriend, the then 18-year-old unleashed on the baby.

The baby began to vomit blood and Garcia cleaned her up, wrapped her in a blanket and placed her next to his girlfriend who was sleeping in a separate room. . . .

Slade [Les Slade, the foreman of the jury] said it wasn't a question of whether Garcia killed the child, but a question of his intent.

But the facts presented at trial - the numerous injuries to the child and his statements to police - convinced jurors of his intent. . . .

A single shod stomp would kill a baby, but not cause head to toe injuries over time. Those injuries put the lie to the whole story. Enjoy prison, Garcia. You still may get out in time to have a life.

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Members online