• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
Anyone who was at the “Raccoon or Kitten?” event is asked to contact their doctor or the Macon-Bibb County Health Department Environmental Health Office at 478-749-0106.

The event held at The Village Gallery and Studio on Ingleside Avenue allowed participants to interact with a juvenile raccoon, according to a release from the North Central Health District.

The raccoon, owned by a private citizen at the time, was later given to a wildlife rehabilitation center where it died. The raccoon tested positive for rabies.

Anyone who thinks they may have had contact with the raccoon at any other time from July 26 to Aug. 9 is also asked to seek medical care. Rabies is a viral disease transmitted by a bite or scratch, but in rare cases it can spread by infectious material coming in contact with mucus membrane such as the eyes, nose or an open wound, the release stated.

A series of shots can prevent the disease from developing, but once symptoms appear it is always fatal, the release stated.

Michael Hokanson, spokesman for the North Central Health District, said it hasn’t been determined yet whether anyone who had contact with the raccoon will need shots. He said that will decision will be made after interviews with those who may be at risk.

Rabies is nothing to fool with.
Not at all.

When I was still at the house, one of my two cats started going nuts. When I looked out the window I saw a stray cat that was trying to flee but wasn't having much success at it. To cut to the chase, in the past year or so I saw a YouTube video of a cat that was confirmed to be rabid, and it acted exactly like the stray that was outside my house. My blood ran cold.

It sure made me glad I sprayed the spot where the cat had been with undiluted bleach, and that I gave the animal tech that came out and got it a pair of my work gloves to handle it.

--Al

There is one girl who survived rabies after symptoms. I watched a documentary a few years ago. She was a hot mess once she woke up from her coma, everything was messed up, except her mind, she was with it. I need to look up how she is now.
Post automatically merged:

She graduated college and had twins. Her name is Jeanna Giese

Last edited:
She was the first person treated with the "Milwaukee protocol". Doctors have tried it a few times since, and results have been mixed.

--Al
The lastest results are disappointing. Rabies still have a 99.99% fatality rate.
[...]

In conclusion, the MP is not an ideal treatment. The low success rate, high costs, and ethical issues surrounding it make it unlikely to ever be extensively used or accepted as an effective treatment. Moreover, new developments to better diagnosis techniques and cheaper vaccines may make rabies a disease of the past.

She was the first person treated with the "Milwaukee protocol". Doctors have tried it a few times since, and results have been mixed.

--Al
Was there specifics on what mixed meant? I remember watching the documentary and other doctors were kinda going after him. They believed it was a fluke. I mean, he tried something, and for the first time ever it worked and they crapped on him. It would be nice if he showed them.

Was there specifics on what mixed meant? I remember watching the documentary and other doctors were kinda going after him. They believed it was a fluke. I mean, he tried something, and for the first time ever it worked and they crapped on him. It would be nice if he showed them.
I haven't been ignoring you. It actually is a good question, and I think I found some answers for you.

The first article's abstract reads
Abstract
The Milwaukee protocol has been attributed to survival in rabies encephalitis despite a lack of scientific evidence supporting its therapeutic measures. We have reviewed the literature with reference to specific treatment recommendations made within the protocol. Current literature fails to support an important role for excitotoxicity and cerebral vasospasm in rabies encephalitis. Therapies suggested in the Milwaukee protocol include therapeutic coma, ketamine infusion, amantadine, and the screening/prophylaxis/management of cerebral vasospasm. None of these therapies can be substantiated in rabies or other forms of acute viral encephalitis. Serious concerns over the current protocol recommendations are warranted. The recommendations made by the Milwaukee protocol warrant serious reconsideration before any future use of this failed protocol.

Link

This next one is case reports of three cases where the Milwaukee protocol failed. Its abstract reads
Abstract.
Rabies encephalitis is a fulminant, almost universally fatal infection involving the central nervous system. A unique treatment protocol, including anti-exicitotoxic therapy and induced coma was credited with the survival of a vaccinated teenager with bat rabies encephalitis in 2005. However, multiple efforts to replicate this expensive and intense protocol have not been successful. In this article, we report the failure of the protocol in Indian patients with canine-acquired rabies and elucidate the potential explanations for the failure of the protocol in our patients.

Link

Here is another, from a different publication so the formatting is somewhat different.
Human rabies encephalitis following bat exposure: failure of therapeutic coma

Link
There is a statement in this case report that "The initial success with the Milwaukee Protocol has yet to be replicated." (As of 2008, when this article was written.)

Here is a story of a young teen who became symptomatic but survived. He received post-exposure prophylaxis, though; and was not treated with the Milwaukee protocol.
Abstract
Background
Rabies is a zoonosis transmitted via the bites of various mammals, primarily dogs and bats. Known since antiquity, this disease may have the deadliest human fatality rates and is responsible for approximately 65,000 deaths worldwide per year.

Case presentation
We report the case details of a 13-year-old boy from India belonging to a South Asian ethnicity, who presented with altered sensorium one month following a dog bite. He did not receive the active rabies immunization and was managed with supportive therapy. The patient had extensive T2W (T2 weighted)/fluid attenuation and inversion recovery (FLAIR) hyper intensities involving the deep gray matter of the cerebral hemispheres, hippocampus, brainstem, and cerebellum. The diagnosis was confirmed by the demonstration of the rabies antigen from a nuchal skin biopsy and a corneal smear. The patient had a slow but significant recovery over four months and was discharged from the hospital in stable condition with severe neurological sequelae.

Conclusion
We report a unique case of survival after infection with a universally fatal disease.

Link

Why did the Milwaukee protocol work the first time, but not since? I have no idea. Immunology is not my field; in fact, the only medicine I know is first aid.

Each of the links above will take you to the National Library of Medicine at the National Institute of Health, and each article will have two to half a dozen or so links to abstracts, other documents, and case studies. Be aware: If you decide to go down that rabbit hole, it goes deep. And far.

Hope this helps.

--Al

Well when you have to decapitate someone to test for rabies... Yeah, pretty sure it's lethal ( I jest, I know that's only for the animal)

Back